'Soft South - Wild West'

Viking

Visit site
\'Soft South - Wild West\'

Just read Adrian Morgans article in Feb's PBO on the differance he found changing from the busy Solent to the quiet west coast of Scotland. And I find I have to agree with him, I moved to the quiet fjords of Norway. I started sailing again, but it was not quite the same and I could't put my finger on it. Then it dawned on me. It was quiet! But theres something about the bussel of lots of boats and loads of activity that you get from the Solent. The warm summer evenings rafting up in Cowes with different boats from all over.
Its a bit like moving from a big city to a quiet country village. You start to miss the busyness and activity!. But its my first season here, so there much to see and get use too.

Magic_Sailor

Visit site
Re: \'Soft South - Wild West\'

Yes, I can quite see what you mean. I read/hear people complain about the number of boats in the Solent but I think it looks fantastic on a summers afternoon; sun, sparkling water and sails everywhere. Superb.

However, each to his own. Best o' luck.

Magic

porth

web.mac.com
Re: \'Soft South - Wild West\'

If you get homsick for a bit of rafting, drop by Bergen in the middle of August for the local Round the Island race. 120 boats in a two day race, and an overnight stop in a tiny bottleneck bay with all the boats rafted up in four "fingers"; requires som serious planning if you are on the outermost boat and going ashore for the evenings barbie; "sh**, forgot the chops!".....

Its a hell of a good weekend.
Should cure you of the solent rafting nostalgia for... about a year?