So, what is it about the sea?

viago

Visit site
so, what is it?

is it the aesthetics?

why do we all want to build our houses overlooking it?

why do we want to ride it?

why do we want to swim in it?

is it a long lost longing?

is it a spiritual affinity?

is it just a status symbol?

is it a challenge?

i will leave it to you to discuss without offering my own opinion.

i will also post this thread on the sb and, can you believe, in the lounge, i am interested in the various responses.

paultallett

www.caymanreef.co.uk
For me the sea is just another, compelling form of beauty. It's a natural attraction to be drawn towards it. To see it, listen to it, it's a very rest full force for me even if it's rough.

Being on a boat at sea is a combination of above and being away from everyone else. The solitude with just my family or friends.

I also love to watch boats move through the water. Be them a yacht, powerboat or tanker. The way the bow wave forms, the stern wake, I could watch and watch and watch.......

I love the sea :)

Robert Wilson

Second Coast, Ross-shire, overlooking Gruinard Bay
Visit site
I find watching the sea like watching a fire.

its almost hypnotic in a relaxing way

+1

Always changing in form, colour and character. I live overlooking the sea, and hills and islands. Pure magic, no matter the weather.

And on a discriminatory note, I couldn't bear to look out at a panorama of buildings, crowds and traffic. But there again, I am extremely lucky.

tamarind

Visit site
The sea is forever changing, theroputic, calming, and you have to treat it like a lady...... With respect! I'm I pisces so obviously naturally drawn....

D

Deleted User YDKXO

For me, its the last remaining environment in which you can pretty much do what you want when you want to without being burdened by the petty rules and regulations which rule our lives elsewhere

rwoofer

Visit site
For me, its the last remaining environment in which you can pretty much do what you want when you want to without being burdened by the petty rules and regulations which rule our lives elsewhere

+1 which is probably why I react so badly when authorities want to charge for anchoring in a natural harbour....

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Such charges must be outlawed, and vigorously refused.
Next steps will be sea-room rent, MOTs, Annual Sea Fund Tax, and of course compulsory qualifications.
+1 agreed. I think the RYA is doing a pretty good job in this regard but it is up to all of us to resist the pressure for increasing legislation of pleasure boating

kcrane

Visit site

+1 to that, with an strong element of adventure & emotion thrown in.

To underline the point, when we have guests on-board for the first time I get asked questions like: what time do we have to go back to the marina, how long did it take to get all the licences you must need to drive one of these, how much does the annual 'boat licence' cost, how many police boats are there, are 'sea lanes' the same as air corridors and what happens if you stray outside them, do you need permission to enter a harbour, how much does it cost to anchor in this bay, are the alcohol limits the same for boats and cars? The underlying assumption is that there are bound to be lots of rules, regulations, enforcement etc.

D

Deleted User YDKXO

how long did it take to get all the licences you must need to drive one of these
I chuckle when a guest asks me this question because its a roundabout way of saying "are you sure you can drive this thing":D

gordmac

Visit site
Interesting question. When I went to University at the ripe old age of 17 I really missed the sea, and the mountains, and the fresh air but the sea more than any of them. Even now I don't like being away from it but I can't really put my finger on why.