Snuffers

Badger

Visit site
Tried out the "Scooper", big cruising chute/gennaker this weekend for the first time out of the bag.It was fine in the light airs but it is so big, I can see it could be a bit of a handful in 15kts plus of wind.Also re-packing at sea very difficult .Thinking of getting a snuffer, anyone any experience of the plus and minus points ? Any advice welcome.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
I have two - one excellent, and one a disaster.

The excellent one came with my asymmetric reaching chute. This is a 0.75 asym with a spectra luff, and the snuffer has an internal channel sewn in to keep the line from tangling. This works like a dream in all conditions, being easy to set and drop the asymmetric.

The disaster is on the heavier 1.5oz symmetric, this is a much heavier chute and the snuffer does not have the internal channel sewn in for the line. This has proved difficult both to set and drop, to the extent that last time I used it (in light-moderate conditions) it took 15 minutes to set, and once up I couldn't pull the snuffer down again, so had to drop it in the conventional manner.

I can't be sure of the reason - but I can think of 3 reasons why one might work and the other not. (a) the asym is a lighter sail - meaning less weight and so more space , (b) the asym snuffer as the internal channel for the line, preventing it getting snagged up and (c) the asymmetric is set with a much taughter luff, which keeps the sail in control while the snuffer is being pulled down.

There is of course one major problem with using a snuffer on an Asymmetric sail - if anyone has found the solution I would love to hear it.

Whatever you do, I would recommend never relying on the snuffer to drop the spinnaker safely. If you wouldn't be happy retrieving it the old-fashioned way in the prevailing conditions then don't fly it in the first place.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Andy_H

Visit site
We use a snuffer for our cruising chute. It has it's pro's and cons, but generally makes using the chute a lot easier when there's just the two of us on board.
Our was supplied by Crusader and we've never had any real problems with it, it just takes a little time to sort it all out before raising. It's surprisingly heavy though with a fairly hefty snuffing line and blocks.
On balance I think I favour them, especially when short handed. It definitely makes it a lot easier to get rid of the chute quickly, even if you leave it raised within the snuffer for a few minutes while sorting things out.

<hr width=100% size=1>

MADFISH

Visit site
I find them much easier to pull down if you let the tack line go and pull in on the sheet. this puts the chute behind the mainsail where there is no wind. Problem solved(?)

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
I've used the asymetric with and without a snuffer. It is by far easier with the snuffer ... once you've worked out the various bits. I've also got a Crusader one.
Tips ..
Drop in the lee off the main, I've dropped it easily in 28 knots (do'nt ask!!!).
Do'nt coil the snuffing line just leave it loose in the bag when you pack it.
Do'nt let the snuffing line go!

<hr width=100% size=1>

Chris_Stannard

Visit site
I use a snuffer on a conventional spinaker and have no problems. Two tips:-

When you buy a snuffer make sure that it has a light well bell, some have very heavy fibre glass bells and this makes them a pain. And as someone else has said it must have an internal tube for the hauning up line to prevent the line getting round the sail which really does cause problems on hoisting.

The other tip is that just before you try to snuff the spinaker let about a metre off the halyard to get the snuffer away from the mast and forestay. As already stated it should be behind the main to take the wind out of it.

We sail two handed and find it no problem.

<hr width=100% size=1>Chris Stannard

Ivy

Visit site
I use a cruising chute with snuffer on my Sadler 25 and I haven't had a problem yet apart from when it was new, the head of the chute was stiff and didn't like poping out of the snuffer, a few tugs on the line got it working and I flexed the head a lot when I git it down, this helped next time. Most of my sailing is single handed and I have used it in 15 knots of wind without a problem, I'm thinking of getting onr=e for the spinaker as that is a problem when I'm on my own.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Badger

Visit site
Internal Tube

Finally got round to talking to a couple of suppliers, Seatech in Emsworth and Crusader in Poole and suprisingly following the multiple advice on this post, neither of them supply snuffers with the internal tube or sewn channel in snuffer for the rope to go in and both advised against it ! I am more inclined to beleieve the practical advice of those in this forum. So does anyone know a supplier I can go to for one of these ?

<hr width=100% size=1>