Small sailing boats suitable for comfortable part time living.

steve yates

Visit site
Hi, I'm 6ft, and looking to buy a small sailing boat 22-30 ft range, quite cheaply, to use as a base in Maryport marina when I'm working in Cumbria.
I will be there about 50 times a year, usually 1-2 nights at a time, sometimes a week or so. If timings work out I will stay on the boat and take her cruising for a week or two in between jobs, rather than drive down to Essex and back.

I want something that I can set the foredeck cabin up as a separate double bed, and leave made up all the time.
That has a separate loo.
That has a saloon I can comfortably lounge around in, reading, watching to on laptop etc.
Standing headroom would be great, but I don't think it is essential? ( my current bradwell 18 doesn't even have sitting head room for me, I can only lie down or slouch at an odd uncomfortable angle)
That I can cook in and sit down properly to eat at a table on.
Ideally with heating of some kind, tho I presume I could use an oil filled radiator with the built in thermostat and run it off shore power?
Has some reasonable cockpit space for relaxing outside, preferably with a cockpit tent or enclosure of some kind for rainy days.

Anyone had experience of living on boats in this size range?
Any reccomendatioms for specific boats to look at?
Any tips on ones currently for sale?

I'm thinking something like a jag 25 would be good, but what about tridents and Achilles?
The inevitable centaur might be ok but I found the forepeak to short in the one I have looked at. Actually a jag 25 had more space than the centaur and a longbow!

Thx, steve

Tranona

Visit site
The obvious candidate is a Centaur, or one of its competitors from the period. Anything less than 25' and you are in camping territory. There is a wide choice of 25-28' boats from the 70s and 80s if you don't fancy a Centaur. You will find many boats are short on space in the forecabin simply because the fashion was for narrow bows, and the need to fit in a decent toilet, full length berths in the main cabin, a chart table and quarter berth was at the expense of the forecabin. Fine for children in the 2+2 market the boats were aimed at.

You just have to troll around the boatyards and usual advertising places to see what is available and choose one that suits you. If you tried to build a list it would likely be 50+ boats long, but in a sense this is irrelevant as you can only buy what is available for sale. Draw up your list of priorities, just like any other consumer purchase and go hunting. Inevitably you are going to see a lot of rubbish, but there are plenty of boats out there.

BTW I lived for a year on a traditional wooden 26' with only 5'6" headroom. Would prefer standing headroom which is easily achievable in the boats you will look at, but otherwise the internal volume was not an issue. Heating and lighting from shorepower and a fan heater worked well.

DownWest

Visit site
I am helping a friend out on a Trapper 501, it is 26ft and I would consider it livable for decent periods. (Meself at 6ft) not bad performer too. One quarter berth, a dinette/double berth and two in the forcabin. Has a bog/ shower area in between the main cabin and fore, so reasonably civilised. Shaft drive Yanmar 10 diesel. Lots going for it.

lindsay

Visit site
Very happy with my Sadler 29 as permanent liveaboard in non uk waters for last 20 years. Single and six feet tall.

Easy to keep the forward cabin as sleeping quarters. Excellent insulation. You will just clip the top of your head inside with shoes on but you soon get used to that.

Go to Sadler site to to get all the bumph. The Sadler 26 could also suit your purpose. BTW both are a real pleasure to sail.

BrianH

www.brianhenry.byethost18.com
I am helping a friend out on a Trapper 501, it is 26ft and I would consider it livable for decent periods. (Meself at 6ft) not bad performer too. One quarter berth, a dinette/double berth and two in the forcabin. Has a bog/ shower area in between the main cabin and fore, so reasonably civilised. Shaft drive Yanmar 10 diesel. Lots going for it.
[Pedant mode] The Trapper 501 is actually 27' 4". [/Pedant mode]

I owned a Trapper 500, which preceded the 501 that only had some minor details changed and not the hull, for 24 years and lived aboard for up to two months at a time. I changed the original Yanmar YSE8 engine for a 2GM20 that I believe most 501s had.

I suspect most are more expensive than the OP is looking for, however.

samuelfieldhouse

Visit site
For the past two years I've lived very comfortably aboard my 28ft Cobra 850. As a home worker it's also my office. I'm based mainly in Brighton and Chichester marinas and potter about the Solent and South Coast.

Years ago my parents had a centaur, so I looked at a couple before buying the Cobra, but I have to say the Cobra is a much better boat, with far more space below decks, mostly due to the generous freeboard. All Westerlys are known for their 'generous family cockpit' - which isn't actually an advantage if you're a livaboard single hander. Having a smaller cockpit brings everything closer to hand and opens up the interior space.

I've made a few internal adjustments for full time on board living. I took out the fore cabin V berth and replaced it with a single bigger bunk to port, which creates a nice spacious cabin. I've also opened up the galley by removing the upper lockers and putting in a larger sink. Instead of a gas oven I have a mains electric combi/microwave which is dead practical for the majority of the time I'm on mains and it's not difficult to live off a gas hob/grill when I'm cruising off grid.

She's an excellent sea boat, dry and steady and points really well. She's very forgiving for single handed cruising. I'm really very chuffed with her.

whiteoaks7

www.seasolutions.co.uk
Sabre 27 - unless that's a bit old for you (circa 1972). I'm also 6' and found the headroom and forepeak bunk were both ok. Bit cramped near the sink but has everything else you list. Very (very) sturdy boat. Ours was in Bristol Channel and we had holidays on her up to 14 nights. There's an owner's club which might be able to help too...

Tranona

Visit site
Thx all, your cobra sounds good. Sabres are not too old, I like the look of them, and I think I saw a twister somewhere that might be had at a reasonable price.

While Twisters are very nice boats, a cheap one will likely be a nightmare. The early ones had wooden coachroofs and rot. So if it is cheap it is likely to be a basket case. Half decent ones are outside your price range.

Andrew E

Visit site
I've spent the last 4 weeks living aboard my Westerly Griffon. It's my temporary home and office and I sail it when the weather is half decent. I know people in the marina must been looking down their noses at me because I'm living in a such a "small boat", but it's a great little space I think!

There's virtually 6ft headroom down below with separate heads and absolutely tons of storage everywhere. The forepeak is a little short but just about manageable for a 6 footer. The heads is tight, but if you're in a marina who needs a spacious heads. I have a fridge stored in the pilot berth. The boat is very beamy for it's length which is great.

Griffons are excellent boats, and to be honest much better in all aspects than the Centaurs. Worth a look.

Last edited:

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
I've lived on an Albin Vega for a year. Only 5' 6" headroom, but a surprising amount of space for a decent double in the forepeak.

- W

Another vote for the Vega, we spent 6/7 months a year on one for seven years, good accomodation/storage, great cockpit; she sails well and looks prtty too. I'm certain that saloon the headroom's got to be more than 5' 6", I could stand up in ours just, so I reckon around 5'8" or 5'9"

alahol2

www.troppo.co.uk
If you get chance have a look around a Stag 28. It meets every one of your stated requirements and more. Headroom is well over 6 feet. All berths, forepeak, main cabin and cockpit seats are all more than 6 feet.
Not sure of your price range but they are likely to be more expensive than some of the others mentioned here.

Kraftykid

Visit site
I'd like to to throw the Jeanneau fantasia 27 into the mix,
double aft cabin keeps sleeping separate to everything else , nice comfy seating and dinning area , separate heads to aft which I find useful when single handing. proper chart table is a nice place to work and also gives the boat a 'Pro'er big boat feel' , has a double in the forepeak as well which can be sectioned off with a curtain if fitted, I mainly use this area for sail and bag storage as it is sectioned off by a folding backboard to allow a U shape around the table for seating. the seat benches are also counted as berths bringing her sleeping total to six , i've slept on all the bunks and all have had more than adequate room , especially the aft double (i'm just over six foot). galley area is great , you can sit on companion way step to cook , has a deep fridge with a freezer compartment and lots of cupboard storage.
head room is a little under 6ft but having upgraded from an 18ft Foxcub which I couldn't even sit up in I barely even notice I cant stand bolt upright and the yacht feels mahoosive.

on deck you have a nice protected cockpit , not too big but big enough for three people to operate in (max i've had in there when racing) she has nice wide side decks and a nice big flatish foredeck , these make her very safe for short handed sailing as your not tripping over things on deck or battling with the coach roof for fore deck operating area. the mainsail boom dosen't intrude too far into the cockpit meaning you can stand up in most places and not worry about being twatted over the head. cockpit also a very comfy area for long distance sailing. and shes pretty fast averaging in a good breeze about 7.5 knots , and thats with loads of spare diesel , two tv's numerous heaters , food lots of water and the extra weight of the stainless holding tank.

only downside is the fact that too keep the space inside to the max and keep weight down shes only fitted with a small engine (yanmar 1GM10) kicking out a whole 9HP.... Which against tides struggles but normally does about 4-5knots , but then again we are sailors and shouldn't really be trying to fight tides , but when your hand is forced it can be infuriating spending an hour trying to get into a harbour going 1knot over ground.

the best part is I got lucky with mine and only paid £5,500 but they normally seem to go for around £8k-£10k.

If you'd like to look around one and go for a sail I am based in Portsmouth and would be more than happy to show you my boat to give you an idea.