Slamming

Anchorite

Visit site
Didn't used to: it's modern boat design, big front cabin and much lighter. In the
good old days you could hardly squash a paid hand up front and the V shape
cut into the seas with a lush musical squish which largely compensated the afore-
mentioned hand for his cramped quarters.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ColdFusion

Visit site
Re: forefoot

This refers to the f'ward part of one's foot. A deep forefoot is usually the result of severe swelling brought on by slamming something into it (see above). The owner of a deep forefoot always considers it to be a bad thing unless SWMBO mentioned the word 'paintbrush' within the 2 previous weeks.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Heckler

Visit site
slamming in wales

is when the pretty sheep slams her hind feet on to the front bit of your wellies
s

<hr width=100% size=1>

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Re: forefoot

G'day David,

seeing as this is your 100th post, I think it deserves a serious answer, banter is easy.

The stem - Is the forward edge of the bow. (Fore)
The Forefoot - Is the point the front of the keel / bottom of boat, meets the stem. located at the foot of the stem if you get my drift.

So a craft with a deep forefoot would slam less than one with shallow forefoot. However, in light air the shallow forefoot would offer less drag if sailing or under power.

Deep forefoot, less slam, but more fuel and slower.
Shallow forefoot, more slam, less fuel and faster.

Of course this is only a generality, as design plays a very big part in the final equation.

All boats are nothing but a collection of compromises, you give up one thing to achieve another, be it speed, comfort, space, safety, draft / draught or the size of the mooring or pen you have or just how much you want to spend, all compromises.

Hope this helps and congratulations on your first 100 posts, may we all see thousands more.

Avagoodweekend. Old Salt Oz /forums/images/icons/cool.gif