Volvo Saildrive 130S - water in oil

xcw

Visit site
I've just serviced my engine and saildrive and noticed water in the saildrive oil (milky colour). I've done some research and it suggests it may be the seal (0 ring) on the drain plug leaking, or the seals/O rings on the drive need replacing. The saildrive is 9 years old. Does this seem likely or may there be others reasons? I'm being lifted in a couple of weeks so will sort it then. If it is the seals on the drive how easy is this to do? Any advice would be welcome

scottie

Visit site
Do a vacuum test on the lower unit and consider replacing diaphragm as normal practice at this vintage
You have covered the main causes from the simple replacing the drain plug washer on a yearly basis
Checking the prop shaft seal are not damage from having picked up something that displacing them them
Next check wear to prop shaft
I would suggest that having the seals and o rings to hand may just be enough to ensure their continued use (as in sods law)
Changing the lower unit seals and if necessary the bearings will bring peace of mind during restless nights
The diaphragm is a bigger job but worthwhile considering

Martin_J

Visit site
If the shaft seals have done nine years, they've done rather well.

It's not hard to replace the sea water seal and the oil seal on the shaft (if you're mechanically minded) but check for scoring on the shaft and Speedi-Sleeve it if necessary.

I doubt the bearings would need replacement, but the oil drain seal (o-ring or fibre washer) will for sure and maybe consider the larger diaphragm replacement as well (since that will have reached the Volvo specified change interval of seven years).

xcw

Visit site
Many thanks for your help, I've added it to the work list when I get lifted in a couple of weeks

PabloPicasso

Visit site
Many thanks for your help, I've added it to the work list when I get lifted in a couple of weeks
Likely the shaft seals. Straight forward enough with boat out of the water

If there is scoring on the shaft use speedy sleeves. There was a pbo article about this a year or two back.