Single handed insurance

CapPugwash

Visit site
AIS, Surely! Everyone out there has it these days and those big ships are computer controlled aren’t they? In fact aren't commercial ships legally obliged to have AIS transponders? They'll automatically avoid you. I suppose the range might be limited by the height of your mast but it will be much better than your eyes or ears. I pick up ships miles away on mine.

ashtead

Visit site
Even in Solent AIS can be useful to watch out for large vessels. The only issue cross channel is remembering there might be small craft or lobster pots out there without it as morning breaks.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
AIS, Surely! Everyone out there has it these days and those big ships are computer controlled aren’t they? In fact aren't commercial ships legally obliged to have AIS transponders? They'll automatically avoid you. I suppose the range might be limited by the height of your mast but it will be much better than your eyes or ears. I pick up ships miles away on mine.
I'm interested where you got that information from

R.Ems

Visit site
Re s/h insurance: at my last renewal, Y Yacht altered to Topsail, and my allowance edged up from 18 to 20 hours.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I'm sure he was merely being flippant; (just as you were, when you implied that MAIB staff are stern interrogators in shiny jackboots, looking to apportion blame...)
Flippancy is not easy in a forum.

In a previous life I investigated serious safety incidents and I have the utmost respect for all the safety boards. We all do a difficult job when people realist their professional reputation and income is on the line!

How does "I am sure the staff of the MAIB will find that interview 'interesting.' " in response to @TNLI placing a stuffed doll in the cockpit to absolve the skipper of responsibility turn into 'MAIB staff are stern interrogators in shiny jackboots,'. My meaning, clearly not well communicated, was that MAIB staff might find getting any information from the 'witness' impossible.

Having had a long chat with somebody who was interviewed by MIAB staff after a fatal accident I know they conduct interviews in exactly the same way I did, no stern interrogation in shiny jackboots with thumbscrews or threats of waterboarding, more a brew and a conversation to understand what and why an incident happened. It takes tact, a huge amount of experience and intelligence.

I am a regular solo sailor and extremely interested in unmanned vessels (where remote sensors do a lot of the, but not all, OOW duties), their navigation and compliance with COLREGS, and former member of the Royal Institute of Navigation.

TNLI

Visit site
Flippancy is not easy in a forum.

In a previous life I investigated serious safety incidents and I have the utmost respect for all the safety boards. We all do a difficult job when people realist their professional reputation and income is on the line!

How does "I am sure the staff of the MAIB will find that interview 'interesting.' " in response to @TNLI placing a stuffed doll in the cockpit to absolve the skipper of responsibility turn into 'MAIB staff are stern interrogators in shiny jackboots,'. My meaning, clearly not well communicated, was that MAIB staff might find getting any information from the 'witness' impossible.

Having had a long chat with somebody who was interviewed by MIAB staff after a fatal accident I know they conduct interviews in exactly the same way I did, no stern interrogation in shiny jackboots with thumbscrews or threats of waterboarding, more a brew and a conversation to understand what and why an incident happened. It takes tact, a huge amount of experience and intelligence.

I am a regular solo sailor and extremely interested in unmanned vessels (where remote sensors do a lot of the, but not all, OOW duties), their navigation and compliance with COLREGS, and former member of the Royal Institute of Navigation.

Umm, can you label this type of post, OFF TOPIC, or A TAD OFF TOPIC", as some of us are still interested in single handed, (Left or right), insurance policies. I doubt if Colregs were responsible for most marine insurance brokers getting kind of difficult or simply banning single handed anything. It probably has something to do with business insurance policy changes requiring extra premiums for a company issuing SHD, (Single Hand Dead), policies. Real pity Pantsandus owned by the Germans got all difficult after Brexit about us offshore types.

Concerto

Visit site
There does seem to be more limits on singlehanded sailing insurance in the UK than elesewhere. A number of continental singlehanded sailors I have chatted with have expressed surprise at the restrictions that are applied by UK insurance companies. They all have said they have no restrictions on their policies. These are sailors who sailed from Norway to the UK or vice versa. This would be outside the limit on my policy as it would be impossible to complete the 200 mile sail within 24 hours, which is far better than 18 hour or daylight hours only restrictions.

Tranona

Visit site
What percentage premium are they charging for what used to be an agreed hull value policy ??
%age of value is a meaningless figure and is not used by insurers to determine premiums for leisure boats (although it is used in commercial shipping for premiums of the cargo element of the policy)

You can of course calculate a %age by dividing the premium by the insured value, but given that the premium is for all risks, most of which are independent of the hull and machinery it is misleading. With a low value boat the %age will be higher than a higher value one simply because the hull and machinery value premium is a smaller proportion of the total.

ColinR

www.victoriashadow.co.uk
The other thread about sailing single handed, reminded me to ask you lot: how do you managed to get ensured?

I ask, because when I contacted my insurance company, about extending the cover to the Azores, I was told that would do it, but only if I could guarantee 2 additional crew.

Now, this is only hypothetical, for now. But how does one manage to get insurance cover for single-hand sailing? Is it possible to get one-off cover for single journeys/restricted time?
I'm with Bluefin (Bishop Skinner) and they are okay with single handed sailing provided I have proper self steering which I do (windvane and Autohelm) and at an increased excess overnight. This is noted on the policy. This has been okay for the Azores and multiple cross Channel trips etc. However, when I first asked years ago they said no to single handed night sailing and stipulated that i needed two extra crew to cross Biscay. Once I had some longer trips under my belt they agreed to single handed cover. The operation seemed more personal back then and I was dealing with people who knew what they were talking about. Not sure its the same now.

Refueler

Visit site
Never had any problem with S/H insurance ... but until recently my boats were under26ft.

Now I have the 38 .. must have another look at the docs .... but I don't recall any clause against it.

Note I am not UK region ...

Interesting ... no mention of anything on the docs .... and something I never noticed before ... Mandatory Greek Liability Endorsement ....... even though my regional is North / Baltic Sea and all inland waters therein .... I have 3mls out from western Scotland down through to Lands End and to Brest ..

I've sent an email to them asking about S/H ....

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
I’ve read through all my documentation from pants and there is no mention of crew requirement. I’m leaving it at that.

Here's reply from my Broker ... Broker is in Tallinn estonia, but Insurer is Bremen Germany :

Quote >

Dear Nigel,

Happy New Year!

Thank you for your email below.

Here are our reply.

If sailing alone is possible, i.e. if all necessary equipment is available to safely moor and steer the boat, it is not prohibited.

Wreck removal and salvage costs are covered by Hull policy which you have, as per conditions below:

11 Salvage/wreck removal/disposal/towing costs

The insurer will cover the total cost of salvage, wreck removal and

disposal of the vessel in question up to twice the sum insured or EUR

5,000,000, whichever amount is higher, provided that this was

preceded by an insured event and the insured is obliged by law or

official order to remove the wreck or bear the cost thereof.

11.2 Reasonable costs incurred in providing assistance and salvaging the

vessel after an accident are covered. The insured, however, may not

enter into written agreements with salvage companies or helpers

without the insurer’s written consent unless this is required due to

the specific emergency situation in which the vessel is. The same

applies to agreements concerning the amount of remuneration

following the salvage.

11.3 If an emergency situation arises because the vessel is unmanageable

for technical reasons that cannot be remedied by the vessel’s own

means, the insurer will cover towing costs to the next location where

repairs can be carried out even if no hull damage under this insurance

has occurred. The costs are capped at EUR 3,000.

11.4 The insurer will cover costs required for inspecting the underwater

hull after striking the ground even if no damage is established,

provided the insurer gave their prior consent (may be provided by

phone).

Please let us know if more details are needed.

With Best Regards,

Unquote

I included the Wreck Recovery as another thread touches on it ...

As I say this is a policy for my boat in Latvia based on EU.