Single handed insurance

Minchsailor

Visit site
I spoke to Jeanne Socrates about this. As you know she is possibly the most experienced singlehander of all time, with 3 1/2 circumnavigations and leaving on another one later this month. She lost one boat in Mexico a few years ago. She is very happy with her insurance broker and provided this contact information:

Richard Walton-Gould
WG Yachts
9 Stagbury Close,
Coulsdon.
CR5 3PH
England
Tel: +44 1737 552885
Mob + 44 7799 885236
email: richard@wgyachts.com

+1 for R W-G, been with him for years. A while back I had to make a claim and he handled it brilliantly.

ColinR

www.victoriashadow.co.uk
Bluefin insure me for single handed sailing with increased excess (£400) at night. This has been good for single handing across Biscay and to Azores plus cruising closer to home. They wanted to know quite a bit about my boat, self steering arrangements, level of kit, my experience etc, which is fair enough, indeed makes me think they know what they are doing.

dgadee

Visit site
I'm with GJW Direct. My insurance originally excluded single-handed sailing at night. I queried this, explaining that there could be circumstances in which I might be obliged by tides or weather to stay out at night. They amended my insurance to say policy excess would be doubled when sailing single-handed between dusk and dawn. This seems fair enough to me and the policy has been the same ever since. This is for a 31 ft sailing yacht in UK coastal waters, English Channel & between Brest & the Elbe.

They did same for me. Never claimed from them but always speedy replies to queries.

macd

Visit site
Bluefin insure me for single handed sailing with increased excess (£400) at night. This has been good for single handing across Biscay and to Azores plus cruising closer to home. They wanted to know quite a bit about my boat, self steering arrangements, level of kit, my experience etc, which is fair enough, indeed makes me think they know what they are doing.

I've much the same experience with Bluefin/Bishop Skinner, but without the excess. This came, however, after several years of being with them, which is of little immediate use to the OP. Initially, there was no time limit to single-handing, with the exception of the usual bollox of skipper +2 for Biscay.

lampshuk

Visit site
They did same for me. Never claimed from them but always speedy replies to queries.

Ditto again. I was nudged by this thread to check with GJW and they did the same for me as JimC. (ie no increase in premium, but a bump up in excess for any claim made for damage while single-handing overnight).
No restriction on the length of single-handing, but wanted me to confirm I had autopilot, AIS, radar reflector and roller-reefing.

They also cover racing at no additional cost - excluding damage to ripped sails. I think you can get a supplement to cover "trying too hard" but I don't think that will apply to me.

duncan mckenzie

Visit site
Can I ask, re using Pants Palma, are you Spain based? I mean, can a UK resident take out insurance with Pants Palma for sailing around the Atlantic? I am also looking for single-handed comprehensive insurance for Atlantic offshore sailing, more than 24 hours. My boat currently in Las Palmas, a UK registered vessel, my official residency is in the UK.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Can I ask, re using Pants Palma, are you Spain based? I mean, can a UK resident take out insurance with Pants Palma for sailing around the Atlantic? I am also looking for single-handed comprehensive insurance for Atlantic offshore sailing, more than 24 hours. My boat currently in Las Palmas, a UK registered vessel, my official residency is in the UK.
Why not give Pants in Plymouth a ring? They are very friendly and happy to talk.

duncan mckenzie

Visit site
They have said that boat is valued at 65k which is under threshold, which may well be the case in Spain too. Also I suspect I would need several years relationship with them before they were forthcoming. However note that just now Richard Power of Fastnet Marine has come up with a possible German insurer that I will attempt to pursue now, it may or may not work. Will report back if succsessful.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
They have said that boat is valued at 65k which is under threshold, which may well be the case in Spain too.
under threshold for what?
Also I suspect I would need several years relationship with them before they were forthcoming.
I didn't have any relationship, I changed to them when I wanted S/H to Spain / Portugal

Visit site
You might well have much better luck with foreign companies as the UK insurers are a timid bunch. Even those that are part of a larger multinational.

When I was motorcycling in Morocco. Not a single UK insurer would give me a green card. This is something that came as standard for my Spanish and German friends. "Oh Morocco, that's dangerous, there are terrorists. It's close to Tunisia..." Just plain lol.

Low and behold once I arrived in Morocco I bought insurance from Allianz at the port. Odd then that their UK arm didn't want anything to do with it.

G12

Visit site
I'm with Pantaenius and have unlimited single handed in my normal cruising area which is actually pretty huge.

I tried to get single handed cover to the Azores but they refused saying I needed one crew.

Visit site
The jesters might have further suggestions. (I've just been told my boat is allowed in the 2020 Azores challenge, despite being a touch over 30', as she's an old wooden relic, hooray!...but there is no way I'm going without insurance..

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Pantaenius claim not to be interested in insuring vessels under a certain value, mine is under.
I spoke with them at the Southampton Boat Show and was very surprised to hear there was a minimum value.
I'm with Pantaenius and have unlimited single handed in my normal cruising area which is actually pretty huge.

I tried to get single handed cover to the Azores but they refused saying I needed one crew.
Odd, when I was chatting with them at the SBS they were quite happy for a single handed transatlantic.

On another thread https://edwardwilliam.com/ was mentioned by Guy who did the Jester Challenge in Betsy. I've got a quote from them for my current needs and have discussed my future plans. The cost of next years insurance is a saving of £100.

Much has been said on the other thread that they are a non-UK country and there there might be issues with regulation, but no solid evidence was offered. I understand they insure the Golden Globe boats, perhaps asking them for an opinion might be a good move.

G12

Visit site
Odd, when I was chatting with them at the SBS they were quite happy for a single handed transatlantic.

That's interesting, when was that and what boat were you asking about?
When I spoke to them about 9 months ago they'd just had a big claim from a single hander apparently.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
That's interesting, when was that and what boat were you asking about?
When I spoke to them about 9 months ago they'd just had a big claim from a single hander apparently.
I wonder if that was Mervyn Wheatley's Tamarind loss in the 2017 OSTAR? He spoke very eloquently at the RIN/RMetS weather and sailing seminar at the National Maritime Museum and stated that Pant's service was outstanding.

The issue we had was my boat was not of sufficient value to insure in the Pacific!

Quiddle

Visit site
You might well have much better luck with foreign companies as the UK insurers are a timid bunch. Even those that are part of a larger multinational.

When I was motorcycling in Morocco. Not a single UK insurer would give me a green card. This is something that came as standard for my Spanish and German friends. "Oh Morocco, that's dangerous, there are terrorists. It's close to Tunisia..." Just plain lol.

Low and behold once I arrived in Morocco I bought insurance from Allianz at the port. Odd then that their UK arm didn't want anything to do with it.

Some truth in that: Pants in the UK don't offer professional skipper indemnity but their Austrian office does offer it to UK residents.