Ship Happens

clyst

Visit site
The number of subscribers, plus viewing figures, plus advertising income will give them a few hundred pounds a month.
I see their latest "trick" is to woo the punters with hugs and kisses . Pity the gullible punters can't wise up to see you are being "soft soaped" into their YT ... 6mths in and no restoration work yet........ only a load of Amazon donations..

Wansworth

Visit site
Fitted two seacocks on recent vid,condition of wood around the opening not the best and then on to a general view of the bow it just looks like the deck hull joint has completely gone,all a bit sad.....now asking for help to paint the outside,makes no sense

38mess

Visit site
Fitted two seacocks on recent vid,condition of wood around the opening not the best and then on to a general view of the bow it just looks like the deck hull joint has completely gone,all a bit sad.....now asking for help to paint the outside,makes no sense
It's a complete sham in my opinion. A nice little earner for them.

Rappey

Visit site
Youtube is a way of gaining an income, enabling projects that would otherwise not be financially viable or affordable.
They appear to posses skills. Her cabinet,sink and cooker construction and use of power tools was as good as most tradesmen. I would assume she learnt them from him ?
He has a crazy amount of professional tools on that boat.
I think they will surprise us..
I don't think their youtube chanel will run until anywhere near completion as they would need to work full time on the boat to make a dent in it.
But.... recruiting lots of free help for various work could go a long way.

clyst

Visit site
I think the "penny " is dropping as to the amount of work involved as as already mentioned they are trying to get a painting gang together . ......... as regards to the aray of tools and equipment onboard I think you wil lfind they have mostly been donated from the wish list ......... they are very skilled at playing the " poor us " card . Since they have such a following you would think that amongst them would be a marine surveyor who would be willing to walk the boat with them and just explain its poor condition to them . .............I must admit I don't watch their videos for boat content anymore.........just waiting for the inevitable train crash ............... incidently ,why the hull valve refit at this stage ? My assumption was because it was an easy fix and just to say " look here we are doing the refit now " ......... just as they made a big thing of it at the end .

Last edited:

38mess

Visit site
Youtube is a way of gaining an income, enabling projects that would otherwise not be financially viable or affordable.
They appear to posses skills. Her cabinet,sink and cooker construction and use of power tools was as good as most tradesmen. I would assume she learnt them from him ?
He has a crazy amount of professional tools on that boat.
I think they will surprise us..
I don't think their youtube chanel will run until anywhere near completion as they would need to work full time on the boat to make a dent in it.
But.... recruiting lots of free help for various work could go a long way.
I'll start to take them seriously when they get the boat out of the water and see what they are dealing with.

clyst

Visit site
Their Patreons must be getting the feeling that they are being made mugs of by now surely ! I think they will soon be dropping off drastically as most video content consist of her giggling her way through a load of nonsense . I note that they now have Force 4 chandlery onboard and have already scrounged a tin of paint . Can't wait for the begging tin to be rattled under their noses now!

clyst

Visit site
Now showing in their latest video ....... how to blast each other to rid themselves of sawdust with a compressed air hose . An embolism anyone ? How utterly utterly stupid . That would have been a sacking offence back in the 60 s .......They don't seem to have any idea about anything . BTW I didn't realise you needed a hammer the size of a sledge hammer to peen a boat nail ? Check it out .

38mess

Visit site
Now showing in their latest video ....... how to blast each other to rid themselves of sawdust with a compressed air hose . An embolism anyone ? How utterly utterly stupid . That would have been a sacking offence back in the 60 s .......They don't seem to have any idea about anything . BTW I didn't realise you needed a hammer the size of a sledge hammer to peen a boat nail ? Check it out .
I got a little way through the latest video, I could see that nothing constructive was going to happen, I cut her off mid giggle.
It's a shambles

clyst

Visit site
To me her giggling has the same effect as fingernails being dragged accross a blackboard . Really grates my gears . .......and don't get me started on the pathetic "indendos "

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
I think the "penny " is dropping as to the amount of work involved as as already mentioned they are trying to get a painting gang together . ......... as regards to the aray of tools and equipment onboard I think you wil lfind they have mostly been donated from the wish list ......... they are very skilled at playing the " poor us " card . Since they have such a following you would think that amongst them would be a marine surveyor who would be willing to walk the boat with them and just explain its poor condition to them . .............I must admit I don't watch their videos for boat content anymore.........just waiting for the inevitable train crash ............... incidently ,why the hull valve refit at this stage ? My assumption was because it was an easy fix and just to say " look here we are doing the refit now " ......... just as they made a big thing of it at the end .
Maybe they're replacing the valves because the existing ones are knackered (they look like they are) and need to be replaced before they fail? That would make it quite a high priority. Just a thought.

I agree that they need a surveyor to talk things through with them and set out a schedule of priorities and in particular to advise them whether the hull is sound or as ripe as a pear. If the latter, then they're on a hiding to nothing. If not, they have made no bones about the fact that they expect it to take years ......

Keith 66

Visit site
Yes a detailed survey and action plan as you say,will cost money but can only be a good thing and the proper way to proceed
nobody that takes a boat on like this is interested in getting a proper survey & action plan because it will tell them what they dont want to know, A) its rotten, B) they will never finish it.

clyst

Visit site
Yes a detailed survey and action plan as you say,will cost money but can only be a good thing and the proper way to

Totally agree with that . The more I see of this pair the more I see them as scroungers and hoodwinking their followers who for some reason ,ignorance of boat restoration I guess, think the sunshine out of their a.... the mind boggles why they continually just throw money and gifts at them .

PCUK

Visit site
Say a conservative estimate of £100,000 to do a very basic DIY fit-out and then £100 an hour fuel burn at moderate speed "when it's complete" plus not being able to go anywhere as it will be uninsurable shows the extent of this folly!

Wansworth

Visit site
It seems that on YouTube they are being egged on by punters who my or not know about the task in hand,if they came on a ybw forum it would open their eyes to the enormity of the project......unless they are happy to sit on the mud,bit boreing for their kids every spare hour farting about in the creek

38mess

Visit site
These guys are no fools, they are getting a good income from you tube, all they need to do is string it out as long as they can and then abandon the boat

XDC

Visit site
Just to balance some of the ange frustration ? here, it's very unlikely that they make anything from people merely viewing their channel.

YouTube pay a pittance if someone watches an ad all the way through. I think it averages around £4 per MILLION views. I know of some very successful YouTubers who tell their followers not to bother watching the ads as the annoyance caused by doing so isn't balanced by the income received.

Most YouTubers earn money through Patreon (and I don't have a problem with that ... it's voluntary) or by being influencers or affiliated to products.

Another way is selling merchandise but again that's a personal choice ... strange if the channel is so crepe.

The Amazon wish list is obviously another way but are they receiving gifts that they don't use? In that case, yes, the contributors are mugs.

Last edited:

clyst

Visit site
Just to balance some of the anger here, it's very unlikely that they make anything from people merely viewing their channel.

YouTube pay a pittance if someone watches an ad all the way through. I think it averages around £4 per MILLION views. I know of some very successful YouTubers who tell their followers not to bother watching the ads as the annoyance caused by doing so isn't balanced by the income received.

Most YouTubers earn money through Patreon (and I don't have a problem with that ... it's voluntary) or by being influencers or affiliated to products.

Another way is selling merchandise but again that's a personal choice ... strange if the channel is so crepe.

The Amazon wish list is obviously another way but are they receiving gifts that they don't use? In that case, yes, the contributors are mugs.

I don't see any anger here unless you regard frustration as anger . Frustration because they either can't see what experienced boaters can see or choose to ignore advice because they are h appy to con their patreons who expect to see a finished project which the pair must know is unlikely to happen .