Ship Happens

Wansworth

Visit site
the Yaba rebuild has one redeeming feature .....transferring money from the first world to the third and giving viewers an insight to traditional boatbuilding skills although modern machinery seems to play a large part with the absence of planes and dazes etc.How it progresses depends totally on patrón etc .But the wreak on the river Dee is in a different category,basically an old boat totally unsuited for a safe sea passage being bodgged up at week end soy it’s owners who seem to have skills with electricity etc but up to now not demonstrated any ship repair skills.The woman seems YouTube savey and is creating watchable material a la Kardishans,interesting to see once they cannot put off the boat repairing how they get on

38mess

Visit site
the Yaba rebuild has one redeeming feature .....transferring money from the first world to the third and giving viewers an insight to traditional boatbuilding skills although modern machinery seems to play a large part with the absence of planes and dazes etc.How it progresses depends totally on patrón etc .But the wreak on the river Dee is in a different category,basically an old boat totally unsuited for a safe sea passage being bodgged up at week end soy it’s owners who seem to have skills with electricity etc but up to now not demonstrated any ship repair skills.The woman seems YouTube savey and is creating watchable material a la Kardishans,interesting to see once they cannot put off the boat repairing how they get on
I've said from day one that it's just a money making operation. As far as I know they haven't arranged to have it slipped. Weekend work is not going to make a dent in this boat, but the patron money still rolls in. Call me cynical if you like, but I can't imagine why they would have taken on this wreck.

clyst

Visit site
She certainly appears to knows the power of the " begging bowl " and uses it well.

Keith 66

Visit site
I stopped watching it after the first few episodes, like a slow motion crash. The boat is a narrow gutted hull that i seem to remember had a reputation for being rolly poly when in service. At some stage someone has "converted" it into a motor yacht by adding high up superstructure which cant do anything for stability. At some stage someone has added a large amount of ballast in plastic sacks, I wonder why?
Removing much of the ballast is likely to render the thing more unstable. You only have to look at the example of the Llys Helig on these forums to see what happens. Llys Helig had the advantage of someone with plenty of money to get her up again!

V1701

Visit site
If you add up all the hours and money they spend on the boat, travelling, dumping rubbish, editing videos, etc., etc. you could make more/lose less money working in McDonald's. I don't think very many people make a lot of money off of Patreon/Youtube but it can be a way to help (in conjunction with other income streams) sustain a different lifestyle...

Rappey

Visit site
Medusa started with a raised fund of 1.1 million . I don't know the final bill.
They used a team of skilled people and trainees and it took 5 years with a basic layout.
Two weekend warriors trying to do it afloat :unsure: by comparison to Medusa it will take them 15-20 years at least.

clyst

Visit site
The next step appears to be replacing some ribs.. That will tell all as i cant see how they will use copper rivets to join new ribs while the boat is afloat..
I expect they will Jump to another little project just before the work begins like they did after a few episodes ago in the tiller flat .

Visit site
And then there is Wildlings Sailing, paid 11k for a derelict cat in South of France. Bet the previous owner had to attend Accident and Emergency after the bank. Probably needed surgery to get the smile off his face!

clyst

Visit site
They were warned to walkway from the cat by most of their subscribers but they ignored them and now are paying the price ..... so to speak........ however you have to admire their tenacity . ....... I think the next saga will be the engine .

Rappey

Visit site
Sailing channels on a very tight budget produce great entertainment for the viewers as they often have some drama happening , providing the boat actually goes to sea.
I hope wildlings fix their boat and get afloat.
We have the ones travelling and often doing repairs, then we have the ones with "restoration" projects. Then there is a group somewhere in the middle that have gone into a yard for repairs - and are still there due to finding ever more repairs needing doing.

Aardee

Visit site
For sheer skill, determination and "just get it done-ness", check out the refit videos from Free Range Sailing in Australia. Really nice job of updating their 50 year-old Clansman.

Wansworth

Visit site
Shame ,my converted life boat that had a petrol /tvo engine If I recall which Ibought to travel to distant horizons ended up on Itchenor hard with surprisingly little water in the bilge but all the bedding wet.Gave it away backin 1973 and I believe it’s still going,would have made a great YouTube/patrón candidate,with lots of drama and tears?

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
Donations by people to 'Ship Happens' are peanuts compared to some others, try watching Sailing project Atticus how people can be so stupid is beyond me, neither of them work as such, a few years ago they scrapped together $5000 and bought a 30' Atticus and recently this year they paid $200.000 and bought a Pacific Seacraft 40 now Atticus II.

In a recent so called live question and answer episode I watch over $750 donated in one hour !

Who needs to work when you have stupid people giving you money every day

Visit site
They were warned to walkway from the cat by most of their subscribers but they ignored them and now are paying the price ..... so to speak........ however you have to admire their tenacity . ....... I think the next saga will be the engine .
Sorry, I have no sympathy with them. He came down the canals with no ICC, no CEVNI, got into a situation was unsure of the give way boat. Comes across as a total w anchor and I think most of the success is due to the Chinese beauty. Must admit that most of his troubles seem to be listening to the boatyard hobos. Did you see the recent attempt fixing the gas stove? And they are still using it!

clyst

Visit site
Sorry, I have no sympathy with them. He came down the canals with no ICC, no CEVNI, got into a situation was unsure of the give way boat. Comes across as a total w anchor and I think most of the success is due to the Chinese beauty. Must admit that most of his troubles seem to be listening to the boatyard hobos. Did you see the recent attempt fixing the gas stove? And they are still using it!
AH ! was unaware of lack of ICC & CEVNI ....... giving them benefit ofdoubt ...... probably through ignorance on their part but largely through lack of diligence of the French authorities. Like you ,I have little sympathy with their problems with the Cat having been advised by many to leave well alone . Reading between the lines it seems that they were just bowled over with the amount of living space a cat offers , however, to part with 10k without a survey seems a bit foolish ,especially since they both lack knowledge of boat construction / work . They are now learning the hard way........ However I wish them well and hope they get the boat sorted without too much work or cash

Visit site
AH ! was unaware of lack of ICC & CEVNI ....... giving them benefit ofdoubt ...... probably through ignorance on their part but largely through lack of diligence of the French authorities. Like you ,I have little sympathy with their problems with the Cat having been advised by many to leave well alone . Reading between the lines it seems that they were just bowled over with the amount of living space a cat offers , however, to part with 10k without a survey seems a bit foolish ,especially since they both lack knowledge of boat construction / work . They are now learning the hard way........ However I wish them well and hope they get the boat sorted without too much work or cash
Some bloke down there is telling them that surveyors know didly squat. Have a look at some of the comments on the vids. Goes by name of Uncle Ben or something like that. have a look at the post I recently put up, you will recognise it.