Shaft Casing and rubber getting hot ?

Visit site
Hi All

Have just repacked stern gland and seems to be working ok , not getting hot prop shaft and dripping every 30 seconds or so .
The problem now is that the rubber and brass bit are getting hot as is the red shaft case beyond the black rubber .
Does anyone have any idea why ?

Thanks in advance of any answers Dublet Stern Gland.jpg

Visit site
Could it be possible youve pumped so much grease into the shaft youve no space for the water to cool ?
Hi Yes it could be when the drip on the old packing was a lot i found to tighten the brass knob slowed the flow of water , i did refill the grease quite a few times . The water is still dripping thou ?
How do i go about fixing it ?

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Hi Yes it could be when the drip on the old packing was a lot i found to tighten the brass knob slowed the flow of water , i did refill the grease quite a few times . The water is still dripping thou ?
How do i go about fixing it ?
New propshaft and new stern gland. Alternatively just let it drip and make sure you check bilges regularly and have an auto bilge pump

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
wont stop it dripping however, which is the original problem.

New packings which this has need to bed in and sometimes slackening off a bit will allow them to run cool and then gradually tighten up after a while. When I've replaced ours, several times over the last 30 years, I accept a few more drips initially.

Visit site
Thank you for replys , it turns out i used to large stuffing and compacted to tight ,the shaft wont move freely at all ,now ordering 5 mm packing and replacing next week