SH GX1600E VHF Bracket

Laurie

Visit site
Am I the only one to find this bracket useless, as it doesn't clear the back of the radio on rotation or allow the coax plug to clear either? Am I missing something, or have I bought a wooden puzzle to look like a vhf radio:confused:

Bilgediver

Visit site
Am I the only one to find this bracket useless, as it doesn't clear the back of the radio on rotation or allow the coax plug to clear either? Am I missing something, or have I bought a wooden puzzle to look like a vhf radio:confused:

Not many brackets do as they are intended for use when mounting the radio under or over a shelf etc so no need to rotate!

Easy enough to make one to suite your purpose!

Laurie

Visit site
Aaah, there's a thought which I'll look at, but it doesn't help the coax plug......

Following pvb 's post above, a marketing meeting costing thousands may have gone:
"Lets make a lovely vhf, market it as the shallowest around"
"Brilliant, we'll give the punters a bracket too"

"But lets give them a bracket that works in one plane, and if they want to mount it in another...it's going in boats after all, its the shallowest front to back for panel mounting, so that's brilliant too"
"But we wont give them a bracket for that...they'll have to buy that as an extra, we'll make one they can use on one plane only"

exit stage left, well paid marketeers.............lol!

pvb

Visit site
If you look around, I don't think you'll find any VHF sets which have a bracket big enough to be rear-mounted. The brackets are supplied for desktop mounting or overhead mounting. If the bracket were to be big enough to clear cables at the back, it would look ridiculous when used in top or bottom mounts.

Laurie

Visit site
...er no....it only needs about a ml???? A flatter back plate would have done it!!

Or put the price up a pound and include a usable mounting system.......truly, simples!!

rob2

Visit site
I guess you can't hope for a simple bracket to be able to offer universal positioning and in some arcs it will obstruct the cable entries. When mounting an Icom a few years back, I found that the supplied bracket would neatly hold the radio flat above a shelf, but wouldn't fit upside down so I could hang it below the shelf - it didn't have sufficient throat to reach the holes on the radio! Not as neat, but some bent ally plate using the original locking discs and all was well. Even now from time to time the original bracket falls out of the glove compartment of the car...

Rob.

Laurie

Visit site
I guess you can't hope for a simple bracket to be able to offer universal positioning and in some arcs it will obstruct the cable entries. When mounting an Icom a few years back, I found that the supplied bracket would neatly hold the radio flat above a shelf, but wouldn't fit upside down so I could hang it below the shelf - it didn't have sufficient throat to reach the holes on the radio! Not as neat, but some bent ally plate using the original locking discs and all was well. Even now from time to time the original bracket falls out of the glove compartment of the car...

Rob.
Why not...see my last post?? the gap needed is so small I'm going to cut away the bracket I have....

gallan947

Visit site
Why not...see my last post?? the gap needed is so small I'm going to cut away the bracket I have....

Sorry to be a necromancer and resurrect old posts - but did you get this sorted? i'm finding it a massive PITA - not sure if to hack saw the bracket, take a file to the back of the radio - or start from scratch and make a new bracket..

prv

Visit site
Sorry to be a necromancer and resurrect old posts - but did you get this sorted? i'm finding it a massive PITA - not sure if to hack saw the bracket, take a file to the back of the radio - or start from scratch and make a new bracket..

Have to say I don't understand the problem being described in this thread. The bracket looks just like any other; it either screws to a flat surface and the radio sits in it, or it hangs from an overhead one:

Screen%20Shot%202016-01-24%20at%2018.22.30_zpsaaae8fxw.png

To move it from one to the other you take the radio out of the bracket, you don't rotate the bracket around the back of the radio.

Otherwise, I don't understand what it is that you (or the OP) are trying to do.

Pete

pvb

Visit site
Otherwise, I don't understand what it is that you (or the OP) are trying to do.

It's not clear at all, but my understanding was that the desire was to use the bracket to mount the radio on a vertical surface, and that it wasn't big enough for this..

Laurie

Visit site

I had to modify the bracket........as such it has worked. But yes the cooling frame cover from the back of the radio could be removed?

gallan947

Visit site
Right - lots of speedy replies - i've also come on to both agree with you and also answer my own questions in case anyone has this problem in the future

The problem you have, is the GX1600e has a plastic cooling frame cover over the back - not sure why and looks like an afterthought as it has identical serial / model number stickers as seen on the VHF unit once this plastic covers removed - this plastic cover is wider at the top than the bottom, so out of the box only allowing for desktop mounting (on the image below, the green circled part is not there in the cover, but the red circled part IS and is too wide for the bracket)

GX1600e.jpg

Removing the cover would fix this issue, However I wanted to keep the plastic cover on (wonder if SH fitted this to deal with heat issues?) - so i've spent 10 mins with a hacksaw and secateurs modifying it.. it doesn't look very neat, but have included a photo to show what i mean.

GX1600e2.jpg

Job done - works a treat thanks for peoples interest.

Happy Sailing

g

Last edited:

prv

Visit site
The problem you have, is the GX1600e has a plastic cooling frame cover over the back - not sure why and looks like an afterthought as it has identical serial / model number stickers as seen on the VHF unit once this plastic covers removed - this plastic cover is wider at the top than the bottom, so out of the box only allowing for desktop mounting

Ah - I see, and I remember this coming up before.

Apparently the cooling fins on the back can potentially exceed some specific temperature laid down in product safety regulations, which means they're not allowed to be left exposed. The plastic cover was a last-minute fix by Standard Horizon when they discovered this - an afterthought, as you say - with some unfortunate side effects.

If you don't intend to go sticking your fingers down the back of the radio, perhaps you could just leave it off?

Pete

gallan947

Visit site
leaving it off would work fine - but cutting the 'ears' off like i have, also works fine - doesn't hinder the bracket and leaves me not worrying about the temp of the back heat-sink and any wires that may get too close.