Sewing covers

chrisharris

Visit site
I have toyed with the idea of making some new covers for a while, even bought a semi industrial sewing machine to have a play. One thing I struggled with when trying to restitch the old covers was the needle getting gummed up with what I assume was double sided tape used to hold the fabric together prior to sewing. I assume the people that make covers have a way round this, any ideas how?

GaryJeffery

Visit site
Hi I made new cushion covers a year or so ago, if you look on Amazon you can find rolls of Basting Tape it’s a thin double sided tape made for the job. There is a water soluble variety that basically just dissolves when you wash the the covers. It doesn’t clog the needle either. Using the right width helps as it can “hide” in the seam.
Rgds
Gary

Plum

Visit site
I have toyed with the idea of making some new covers for a while, even bought a semi industrial sewing machine to have a play. One thing I struggled with when trying to restitch the old covers was the needle getting gummed up with what I assume was double sided tape used to hold the fabric together prior to sewing. I assume the people that make covers have a way round this, any ideas how?
I've been making my own covers for 16 years now. I use Topgun fabric ("Topgun 1S" is a version with the PU coating only on one side) using Dabond v92 thread and an old heavy duty 196K5 Singer sewing machine bought on ebay. I always use double sided tape (nothing special, just cheap stuff) to assemble seams before sewing and have never had a problem with gumming up. I pensioned off my first Topgun cover when it was 15 years old because it was looking a bit weathered although it was still 100% waterproof and still reasonably supple.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Hurricane

Visit site
Check out this thread that I started 3 years ago.
Sailrite

I ended up buying a Sailrite.
A lot of people have success with second hand robust machines and I've also tried them but nothing beats the right tool for the job.
You have to "pluck up the courage" to buy one in the first place but the cost of a new machine can get written off very quickly if you make your own covers in comparison to buying them.
Also, the Sailrite machines are very rare on the second hand market so hold their value and are so simple that they can be repaired easily.
Lots of support from Sailrite as well as lots of "how to" videos on their website that will help you even if you don't have one of their machines.

Your question about the double sided sticky tape is good. I use it all the time.
The needles do get a bit bunged up when using new tape as well but only after several days of use.
I use brake cleaner from a spray can with some tissue on the needle (rub up and down for a couple of minutes) to clean the needle from the glue.
The glue helps to make the seam waterproof.
But I suspect that the old glue when you are restitching will be more of a problem.

Our Princess was supplied from the factory with white PVC covers everywhere.
The white PVC is quite practical and lasts quite well.
I did lots of research and eventually managed to buy the PVC fabric very cheaply - less than £3 per square metre which is significantly cheaper than the cloth based fabrics.
Top Gun mentioned above is top quality - Sunbrella make several ranges as well but expect to pay £12 to £15 per sq metre for all these.
The fabric is usually sold about 1300mm to 1500mm wide at over £20 per linear metre.
There is a Spanish made product called Sauleda which is cheaper and seems to be as good as Top Gun and Sunbrella.
The PVC that I tend to use is supplied a little over 2000mm wide at about £5.50 per linear metre.

Here is a photo of sample test piece that I made to experiment with zips and bolt ropes for our cockpit covers.
This pic shows the PVC has a "linen" feel/effect to one side.
Also note the evenness of the stitching that the Sailrite machine can do - even going through the thick plastic zip.
It is really impressive just bow well this machine handles heavy materials/fabrics.
If you are being serious a out making your own covers and saving money, it is well worth splashing out on the right tool for the job.

20201121_123801().jpg

chrisharris

Visit site
Check out this thread that I started 3 years ago.
Sailrite

I ended up buying a Sailrite.
A lot of people have success with second hand robust machines and I've also tried them but nothing beats the right tool for the job.
You have to "pluck up the courage" to buy one in the first place but the cost of a new machine can get written off very quickly if you make your own covers in comparison to buying them.
Also, the Sailrite machines are very rare on the second hand market so hold their value and are so simple that they can be repaired easily.
Lots of support from Sailrite as well as lots of "how to" videos on their website that will help you even if you don't have one of their machines.

Your question about the double sided sticky tape is good. I use it all the time.
The needles do get a bit bunged up when using new tape as well but only after several days of use.
I use brake cleaner from a spray can with some tissue on the needle (rub up and down for a couple of minutes) to clean the needle from the glue.
The glue helps to make the seam waterproof.
But I suspect that the old glue when you are restitching will be more of a problem.

Our Princess was supplied from the factory with white PVC covers everywhere.
The white PVC is quite practical and lasts quite well.
I did lots of research and eventually managed to buy the PVC fabric very cheaply - less than £3 per square metre which is significantly cheaper than the cloth based fabrics.
Top Gun mentioned above is top quality - Sunbrella make several ranges as well but expect to pay £12 to £15 per sq metre for all these.
The fabric is usually sold about 1300mm to 1500mm wide at over £20 per linear metre.
There is a Spanish made product called Sauleda which is cheaper and seems to be as good as Top Gun and Sunbrella.
The PVC that I tend to use is supplied a little over 2000mm wide at about £5.50 per linear metre.

Here is a photo of sample test piece that I made to experiment with zips and bolt ropes for our cockpit covers.
This pic shows the PVC has a "linen" feel/effect to one side.
Also note the evenness of the stitching that the Sailrite machine can do - even going through the thick plastic zip.
It is really impressive just bow well this machine handles heavy materials/fabrics.
If you are being serious a out making your own covers and saving money, it is well worth splashing out on the right tool for the job.

View attachment 135423
Many thanks, great info. I will have a look at the Sailrite machines, it would be a good skill to learn and should more than pay for itself (assuming I can make a reasonable job of it!)

Hurricane

Visit site
Many thanks, great info. I will have a look at the Sailrite machines, it would be a good skill to learn and should more than pay for itself (assuming I can make a reasonable job of it!)
That's exactly what I thought.
You need to go through a learning phase but it is all worthwhile in the end.
I'm happy to help where I can but you probably need to develop your own techniques.
Here is a short video showing how the Sailrite can sew through several thicknesses of canvas.
At the end of the video clip, it shows an attachment that comes with the large Sailrite option.
That attachment enables you to add edge binding but it needs the right materials and some technique.

And here is a photo of my most recent job.
This was actually my second set of cockpit covers.
I used a really cheap canvas for the first set which, literally fell apart, in the Med sun.
That led me into finding the PVC material and maki g this set.

20211008_152208().jpg

My door design is different from the Princess ones.
Princess make a Veclcro flap which tends to get in the way.
On this set of covers, I made the zips like in the sample photo in my previous post.
I have written som notes to remind me how to make the en closed zipper.
Happy to post my notes if anyone is interested.