Service battery being drained whilst switched off

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Sorry but you cannot have all the batteries disconnected if the Victron is still working.
Disconnect EVERYTHING on all battery positives and test with a voltmeter.
Reconnect one thing at a time, check the current each one draws as you connect. That way you will find out where the power is going.
#How do you know all the batteries are OK if they are not all disconnected so that you can check the voltage of each individual battery?#

Whats this main earthed anode you are talking about? You have a landline connected? You have a GRP hull with earth cables to external anodes?

You are not being very helpful, most of the above is just muddying the water.

So what if the battery monitor is on, it's common to have it always on, that won't make a difference to a 20a current draw.

A dead battery won't cause a 20a current draw though the shunt.

He may well "have a GRP hull with earth cables to external anodes" every new boat that has been built over the last few years has one, it's a regulation, lots of older boats have one too.

CLB

Visit site
A 20A parasitic current draw is huge, a running bilge pump will only draw around 5A to give you an example. I think you need someone who understands electrics to look at the boat ASAP, if electrics are not your forte. I would start with a Clamp meter on all the different circuits to confirm that current draw and track it down. I would not leave the boat in that condition. Disconnect batteries at source when you leave the boat until the problem is fixed. I don't want to sound alarmist, but 20A escaping without any evidence is more than enough to start a fire.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
The Victron monitor doesn't show mA

Vyv is correct, the monitor needs to be ruled out first, by using a mulitimeter which can display DC current or a DC clamp ammeter, i'd buy a reasonable multimeter.

Then, as has already been said, check each circuit with the ammeter to see where the current is going.

20a on a small boat is a lot of current, not many things that will usually draw that.

penberth3

Visit site
Thanks for ideas so far
Just to answer some of the questions:
- I have the voltage and ampage shown continously on my phone with a time graph as well. It's an excellent Victron facility
- I have done no wiring changes to the boat at all other than swap out the old batteries with identical new ones.
- I have individual isolator switches for all 3 battery banks. With them all off and no charging going on the current drain is still there and it takes the voltage down to around 12.6V

Ok, I'm an old dinosaur but I would only believe what I'd checked on the boat with a meter. Other posts have already suggested you check the scale, are you sure its 20A?

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Ok, I'm an old dinosaur but I would only believe what I'd checked on the boat with a meter. Other posts have already suggested you check the scale, are you sure its 20A?

There are no scales to check. The monitor only displays amps in the format xxx.xxA

No mA

No .20A, it'd show 0.20A

No 2.0A, it would be 2.00A

etc

Does need checking with a meter though.

Visit site
If this lot really is losing 20 AH then in the time it's been debated the batteries must be completely flat by now, they only started with 240 AH. Are they OP?

ste7ve

Visit site
I agree. Switching on a couple of LED lights and the GPS is enough to pull my house bank (120Ah) down to 12.6V. 20A going out would have it MUCH lower.
With everything isolated except the battery monitor, have you calibrated the monitor in the Victron app?
I had just realised this myself. So when next at the boat I will disconnect the Victron battery monitor and then do a new setup procedure on it so that it calibrates itself. The manual, which is quite difficult to understand, says nothing about doing this when changing batteries, only for a new install. Fingers crossed...