Service battery being drained whilst switched off

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Agreed.
If my unhelpful advice had been followed it would have been immediately obvious that it was the Victron settings that were incorrect.
Instead of 100 posts, the OP would have learnt something, first principles always work. Technology may not be correct.

What a lot of nonsense !! o_O

Which of your "helpful" posts relate to what the OP did to resolve the issue ? #5, #10, #14, #18 ?
Which should he have followed ?

Reactions: pvb

pvb

Visit site
Welcome to your friendly sharing site. NOT

I have to agree with PaulRainbow. Maybe internet forums are never going to please you. I must say, for someone who's been on this site for less than a month, you've been quick to criticise.

This particular forum is a huge source of good practical information for thousands of boaters. The experience and knowledge of many posters is highly valued - and is shared freely. If you don't like it, other forums are available.

Poey50

Visit site
This is exactly why I question my involvement here. Having don a historical search on persons relevant I find a trail of rudeness and what I would term as bullying.

As others have said, you'd be wise not to judge too soon. There are forums where all opinions are equally valid (is Messi greater than Ronaldo?) and although there can be strong disagreement it doesn't really matter. Almost everything discussed on this forum is directly or indirectly safety-critical, not all opinions are equally valid and expertise matters. Just to take it out of this forum for a moment, I'm a member of a Facebook group on anchoring and anchors. Someone posted some complete piece of nonsense which was a potentially dangerous 'innovation' to prevent a corrosion problem that barely existed. Vyv Cox responded who is an expert on corrosion and has done much testing on anchors. His calmly expressed expert views were nearly lost in a whole series of half-arsed suggestions all of which the OP in that case 'found helpful'. Sometimes the truth has to be argued for strongly as it matters - indeed, as we know, it can be life or death in our sport.

Last edited:

ghostlymoron

Visit site
If you've got a 20a current, you'll flatten your battery in a few hours. If it's still showing after a day, the meter is faulty/misreading so you should investigate how it's wired and set up.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
As others have said, you'd be wise not to judge too soon. There are forums where all opinions are equally valid (is Messi greater than Ronaldo?) and although there can be strong disagreement it doesn't really matter. Almost everything discussed on this forum is directly or indirectly safety-critical, not all opinions are equally valid and expertise matters. Just to take it out of this forum for a moment, I'm a member of a Facebook group on anchoring and anchors. Someone posted some complete piece of nonsense which was a potentially dangerous 'innovation' to prevent a corrosion problem that barely existed. Vyv Cox responded who is an expert on corrosion and has done much testing on anchors. His calmly expressed expert views were nearly lost in a whole series of half-arsed suggestions all of which the OP in that case 'found helpful'. Sometimes the truth has to be argued for strongly as it matters - indeed, as we know, it can be life or death in our sport.

This is a great example of how some threads on here work, no doubt not unique to here either.

I once red a signature on a forum, which nicely sums it up:

"Most internet forums contain enough experts to drown out the people with the real knowledge"

Perfectly sums up your example above (y)