September 1st.

Carmel2

Visit site
I love this day every year; the Italians have gone home, no more do I have to listen to their every conversation from a mile away. They have very important mobile phone calls to make, so important in fact that it could not be done inside their boat, but on our transom which seems to be the most discreet place...........................Bliss: September 1st, no longer do I have to listen to Mario shouting to Fiorenzo in the next marina down about nothing.

Long live September 1st!!

Last edited:

Davy_S

Visit site
Oh how I agree! The sad thing is, we have Italian friends and guests, one evening we were invited by Italians to share a bottle of wine with them (this was before we moved to Greece) we had a lovely evening, we raided our fridge for more bottles and continued to put the world to right. A brit voice shouted from our apartments, shut the fuxx up, we are trying to get to sleep! and locked us outside shutting the corridor door, luckily our Italian friends were accomplished theives and knew how to open the door with a knife, so all was well!
However, living in the Ionian, and purely for my own point of view, I know now that I can take my little boat out for fishing and a swim and know that no Italian boat will have nicked my mooring. These people have no morals or manners (apart from our friends:)) they will disrupt a taverna so that eight of them can share one bottle of water! Bye Bye Italianos, see you next year!

fliti

Visit site
Having spent the last 12 months in Spain and being about to move to Italian waters, I can only say that the Italians will be hard put to match the incompetence, head banging selfishness and sheer ear bursting noise of the Spanish at sea. I read somewhere that every spaniard's dream is to be issued with a gold plated certificate stating "This spaniard is authorised to do whatever he likes, wherever he likes, whenever he likes". Certainly works in the marine environment. Viva Italia

ccscott49

Visit site
I have to agree, very quiet now in Gouvia!! No more italians blasting up and down on their hired quad bikes and scooters! Great!
No more screaming and shouting kids and parents.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
There's still one left at least...

A few nights ago we were in One Tree/Cornfield Bay to the SW of the Levkas Canal - room for about 500 boats, but only six of us there (seperate by 100m minimum) when Guiseppe arrived, dropped his anchor - not dug in of course - to settle out less than 10m off our bow.

Unless the weather was to pick up unexpectedly, it wasn't a serious issue so rather than have the argument, we just upped anchor and moved ourselves a couple of hundred metres.

That said, give me Italian Yachties everytime rather than 'The Man from Athens' in his powerboat around the Saronic/Western half of the Cyclades.

artemis07

Visit site
Like many we returned to the UK for August and September. We jumped in our camper van and headed to the north and northwest of Scotland only to have Italian campers surrounding us! Very different people, charming and quiet.

Visit site
Peace has also arrived in Greece - only Italian left on the pontoon here in Gouvia is looking v mournful 'cos he doesn't have anyone to talk to.....

Salvattori has lived on his little boat there for years. Leave him alone: he agrees with all we say about his fellow countrymen!

I'm down in Mesolonghi waiting for a rather stubborn NE6 to abate and let me get to Trizonia. There are plenty of Italian boats left in the marina but we're at anchor out in the bay.