Seller beware

jlavery

Visit site
I'm trying to be sympathetic but.

You let someone take your $400,000 plus asset away on the promise of 6 plus years of $5,000 a month payments.

An asset which can by its very nature be transported to another country and jurisdiction.

Actually I am very sorry for her. I'm wondering "what was she thinking?" and "didn't anyone she may have discussed this with open her eyes to the flaws?".

penfold

Visit site
"I have this bridge you might be interested in..."

It's quite clear she wasn't thinking, not about a business deal involving $400k anyway. Never mind no due diligence, to not even google the dude?

Last edited:

ridgy

Visit site
"I have this bridge you might be interested in..."

It's quite clear she wasn't thinking, not about a business deal involving $400k anyway. Never mind no due diligence, to not even google the dude?
Yes, makes you wonder if there is more to it.

Stemar

Visit site
Easy to be wise after the event, but she thought this guy was a friend. The nature of his previous convictions suggest a gift of the gab and lots of plausibility, so possibly not so unreasonable.

It does seem as though the "buyer" knew exactly what he was doing, and had no intention of paying, which, to my mind, makes it theft, "the dishonest appropriation of property belonging to another with the intention to permanently deprive the other of it", rather than a civil matter.

BobPrell

Visit site
Easy to sneer at her stupidity. Did you not read "First he gained her trust" ?

He was a cruising/social friend for some time. That gained the trust. Some people build the trust long before they decide to rip you off. They may be your child's spouse even your CHILD.

Don't bother to ask how I know this. Examples abound.

Bouba

Visit site
Conmen are successful because they find your need and then fulfill it...whether it’s a need to get rich quick by transferring money to a Nigerian prince or a love scam on a lonely heart. These people wanted shot of their boat....now he’s in like Flynn. We are all willing to believe that the mail order bride truly loves you....we are all suckers waiting to be conned

burgundyben

Visit site
I'm selling my boat, a chap enquired last week, he offered $5k now and £1k a month for 12 months. He's in dreamland and I'm not letting him anywhere near the boat.

Resolution

Visit site
I bought my first boat with payment instalments over some months - all paid on time of course. Maybe I just look convincingly honest?

Beneteau381

Visit site
Stupid is as stupid does. What a bizarre arrangement to make. I have sympathy but I also have no sympathy.
What us Brits fail to realise is that in America it is quite normal for the seller to finance the deal. Som3 of the Americans I worked with sold their houses like that. In a country where you go to jail if you bounce a check, most people are quite law abiding.