Seawolf 520 windlass chain size

finbarr30

Visit site
I want to replace my rusting 6mm anchor chain with 8mm. The windlass is an older Seawolf 520, for which it seems difficult to find a manual.
Anybody know if it will take 8mm chain?

Neeves

Visit site
The windlass is sized by the gypsy, rather than the other components. The gypsy you have is sized for 6mm chain and will not accept 8mm. Gypsies are expensive. Changing the gypsy is usually easy, you just need that extra cash. I don't know the windlass but you may, or may not find it difficult to find a bigger gypsy. The windlass may have been sized for the load imposed by a 6mm chain, so it has a small motor which may not be adequate for 8mm chain.

I hate to say this but it might be better, if you continue with your ambitions to change to 8mm chain, to buy a new windlass.

I have to ask - why do you want to change to 8mm chain. The 8mm chain will take up more room, will have a higher power draw than the old gypsy (because 8mm chain is heavier). The weight in your bow will increase significantly, assuming you buy the same length, or longer. The 8mm chain will cost more than 6mm. If your yacht has coped with 6mm chain for years (and if the chain is rusty and the windlass old) there was never a need for 8mm.

Why not keep the 6mm chain and invest in some decent snubbers and maybe a better anchor.

Its the anchor that holds the yacht - the chain just connects the yacht to anchor. The snubbers will have the same energy absorbing effect as bigger chain. In light winds you do tend to wander around more with lighter chain, just shorten up the scope a bit and it will reduce the radius of the wander coupled with a decent anchor - you are good to go.

Jonathan

The art of snubbing, in the nicest possible way - MySailing.com.au

Goggle 'Jonathan Neeves SAIL magazine' and you will find a couple more articles on snubbers and chain lockers.

Leighb

Visit site
My previous boat had a Seawolf 520, originally with 3/8th (10mm) chain which was far too heavy in my view so I changed it for 8mm, but 6mm would have been OK probably, that was on a 30ft 4.5 ton yacht. I happened to have the smaller gypsy when I bought the boat, I guess an earlier owner had gone for the larger chain and kept the original gypsy.

Reeferman

Visit site
I want to replace my rusting 6mm anchor chain with 8mm. The windlass is an older Seawolf 520, for which it seems difficult to find a manual.
Anybody know if it will take 8mm chain?
Yes it will. I am after am 8mm gypsy (RC172), mine has an imperial one on it but it will pull the 8mm just jumps every so often, and it has no problem with 50M of chain and a 15Kg anchor.

Neeves

Visit site
Before you rush off and buy a new rode of 8mm - please, please go and buy 200mm of chain and try it on your gypsy, which I believe you have been using on 6mm chain. I think you will find the 8mm will NOT fit the 6mm gypsy.

I think the manual will say that the windlass is acceptable for 8mm chain (maybe even 10mm chain (I don;'t know) - it may leave unsaid - 'if you change the gypsy' I think the inference it - it is capable, it is engineered to accept the additional tension etc - but I have not heard of any size defined gypsy capable of accepting the next size up (or down).

However I am happy to be educated - and shown I know less than I thought.

Please go and buy that short piece of chain

OR

Take the gypsy off (its easy) take to the candler - and try it there. Good chandlers should be able to mount the gypsy and run the complete length of chain through the gypsy and prove the chain is 'good' and matches your gypsy.

Our windlass, a Maxwell, is sold for 8mm chain, we use it for 6mm chain - the 2 gypsies are the only difference. Usually people would buy a smaller motor for 6mm - we went for redundancy of power.

Jonathan

Leighb

Visit site
Before you rush off and buy a new rode of 8mm - please, please go and buy 200mm of chain and try it on your gypsy, which I believe you have been using on 6mm chain. I think you will find the 8mm will NOT fit the 6mm gypsy.

I think the manual will say that the windlass is acceptable for 8mm chain (maybe even 10mm chain (I don;'t know) - it may leave unsaid - 'if you change the gypsy' I think the inference it - it is capable, it is engineered to accept the additional tension etc - but I have not heard of any size defined gypsy capable of accepting the next size up (or down).

However I am happy to be educated - and shown I know less than I thought.

Please go and buy that short piece of chain

OR

Take the gypsy off (its easy) take to the candler - and try it there. Good chandlers should be able to mount the gypsy and run the complete length of chain through the gypsy and prove the chain is 'good' and matches your gypsy.

Our windlass, a Maxwell, is sold for 8mm chain, we use it for 6mm chain - the 2 gypsies are the only difference. Usually people would buy a smaller motor for 6mm - we went for redundancy of power.

Jonathan
Totally agree with this, I found that even the same size of chain, but to marginally different spec (although stated to be calibrated), did not quite fit but jumped every few links. Fortunately EYE from whom I bought it were happen to swap it a different, slightly more expensive, brand after I had tested a short length. I should have got a short bit first and saved a deal of hassle. This was on my current boat with a different windlass but I am sure it applies generally.

I have said in an earlier post that the Seawolf 520 on my previous boat had 3/8" chain, equivalent to 10mm, fitted when I bought it and it had no problem with the weight. I downsized to 8mm so that I could have a bit more chain without putting too much weight in the bow.

finbarr30

Visit site
Yes, I'll try out with a short 200mm piece before laying out for the full length (probably 50m to replace the existing 50m).
Thanks again for good advice!

Neeves

Visit site
OK - I guess that 200mm is enough (and I dislike people that guess). Put a tape round the top of your gypsy and measure the circumference (I guessed at 200mm). You need to take the 'new' chain and wrap it round the gypsy, to check it fits into the pockets on the gypsy. Its likely the chandler will charge for the length of chain you need - so unless its proves difficult to take the gypsy off - I'd take the gypsy to the chandler and 'wrap the chain from their drum round the gypsy - that way you don't need to buy anything.

50m of 8mm chain is heavy - you will need some form of trolley, wheelbarrow. to move it. It will have the volume of 2 paint drums. Paint drums are a good size as you will be able to lift each one into the back of a car - but you will not lift 50m in one 'lump' or not easily. Take it home first - lay it out and paint your marks, every 10m or whatever - there - its easier. The best way to get it 'into' the boat is feed from under the bow over the bow roller and then 'power' it in using the windlass. This will ensure you get all the twists out - but it may be twisted and you might need to manhandle it to feed through the windlass. Its not difficult - but don't simply tip it into the chain locker - it will have twists and they will be devil to 'get out' once its in the locker.

We marked with paint and cable ties, the paint wears off the 'outside' of the links and the cable ties break - so its a sort of belt and braces. We mark the first 5m with alternate 1m marks, paint 1m and leave the next metre blank - then you know when the anchor will arrive at the bow roller. We similarly mark the bitter end - so you know when you have no more to deploy - tie the bitter end to a strong point and in an emergency you can cut the chain off (never happened to us).

Let us know what develops. I confess I'm intrigued by the idea that one gypsy can match both 6mm and 8mm chain :)

Jonathan