SeaFeather pros and contras?

Pye_End

Visit site
Mine was generally a good experiece. Control was good in almost all conditions experienced on the way, except for the really light winds experienced at the start, and a day of light winds about a week in.

My only problems were that the two pulleys holding the control lines needed tightening as they were working their way inboard, reducing the amount of tiller travel. 2 minute job to put right, but put this off for several days as felt rather exposed dangling off the back of the boat.

nicholas49

Visit site
Sea Feather pros and contras

Bought mine in 2007 for race to Ireland and back, used it for both Azores trips and two further trips to Ireland and much else besides.Always found it works fine, if theres enough wind to sail theres enough for the vane-in light winds you can boost the power by tying plastic bag on, though I haven't tried this myself.Get bored out of my mind hand steering, hardly ever do it. Coming back from Praia, wind4-6 dead aft, triple reefed main and storm jib, sailed dead down-wind for 3 days at 5-6knots, straight as an arrow, slept most of the time.I'd rather sail without the cooker than the Sea-Feather
Hope to see you all at Plymouthy
Best Wishes, Nick Bridges(Dolphin of Fowey)

Daydream believer

Visit site
Just out of interest what boats are you all fitting these to?
I have an Aeries on a Hanse 311 & being short of fin& wide of stern it tends to veer about a bit on a run with a short following chop although a slight change of course & a bit of fiddling sometimes sorts it

nicholas49

Visit site
Sea Feather pros and cons

Mine is a Trapper501, 27', short twin keels and spade rudder-can't let go the tiller for a moment except when close-hauled.

hrchivers

Visit site
Jester Videos

I've put a few videos up for interest. Two taken on 5th June with SeaFeather in its element, and another taken on return in the Channel, fairly light wind and almost exactly downwind. I'd been running a few days with just the Genoa and the SeaFeather performed perfectly.

See:
http://youtu.be/-22PBw06PDc
http://youtu.be/FubCRf4YOiM
http://youtu.be/jBbw2usMXII

I was very pleased with the SeaFeather, and Paul (who makes them) was extremely helpful and professional. They are well-engineered units. I didn't stop the boat on the way to the Azores, although it came close; I was down to storm sized reefs three times in four days, and the SeaFeather was the least of my concern.

Daydream believer

Visit site
I've put a few videos up for interest. Two taken on 5th June with SeaFeather in its element, and another taken on return in the Channel, fairly light wind and almost exactly downwind. I'd been running a few days with just the Genoa and the SeaFeather performed perfectly.

See:
http://youtu.be/-22PBw06PDc
http://youtu.be/FubCRf4YOiM
http://youtu.be/jBbw2usMXII

I was very pleased with the SeaFeather, and Paul (who makes them) was extremely helpful and professional. They are well-engineered units. I didn't stop the boat on the way to the Azores, although it came close; I was down to storm sized reefs three times in four days, and the SeaFeather was the least of my concern.

In the written part under the video of you running you state that you were under genny only in light wind. Does the unit perform the same when the main is up or is that why you run under jib only?

hrchivers

Visit site
In the written part under the video of you running you state that you were under genny only in light wind. Does the unit perform the same when the main is up or is that why you run under jib only?

The previous few days I'd had much better wind with the same configuration. The reason for furling the main was because at that point of sail it blankets the genoa, and since the boat has a big genoa small main I loose rather little running in a good breeze by taking the main down completely. Yes, I could pole out the genny goosewinged; Seafeather is fine with that, but I'm not at sunset - I don't like running single-handed at night in busy waters with the sails locked down by a pole and preventer - it takes too long to dismantle if I need to maneuver.

Pye_End

Visit site
Just out of interest what boats are you all fitting these to?
I have an Aeries on a Hanse 311 & being short of fin& wide of stern it tends to veer about a bit on a run with a short following chop although a slight change of course & a bit of fiddling sometimes sorts it

I found in the Atlantic that it was generally harder to get a straight line track, regardless of whether I was hand steering or under Sea Feather. The Sea Feather never lost concentration but I did, so was probably better overall. Mine is a 26 double ended, and heading was affected by the general texture to the sea. The days when the wind was a long way abaft the beam were fairly fresh, so tended to sail under genoa alone. Perhaps the wide stern on your struggles more running than a double ender with more form 'balance'. Did you find any particular sail combination reduced the pull of the hull trying to round up?

Daydream believer

Visit site
Having a Hanse I generally sail with my self tacking jib but do have cruising chute & a genoa. It never occurred to me to sail genny only but I would loose a lot of sail area.
I have sailed with cruising chute only with a crew but might try it with the Aeries single handed having seen the comment above.
Normally If. Am having agro steering downwind I come round a bit & tack down wind. It tends to be just as fast as well. However, this is not so easy in places like the Thames estuary.
The comment earlier about a plastic bag on the vane was interesting as I was thinking about a totally different vane
I am going to cut the vane down to almost nothing & mount an aluminium tube on it. At the top of this I am going to mount a wind sock with mouth diam of about 150mm & an adjustable exit hole all mounted on a wire frame which pivots around the tube at the top of the tube. This would have a small balance arm on ot
Overall balance will be a possible problem but I already have adjustable counterweights on my system for different sizes of vane so it should be OK

Pye_End

Visit site
The comment earlier about a plastic bag on the vane was interesting as I was thinking about a totally different vane
I am going to cut the vane down to almost nothing & mount an aluminium tube on it. At the top of this I am going to mount a wind sock with mouth diam of about 150mm & an adjustable exit hole all mounted on a wire frame which pivots around the tube at the top of the tube. This would have a small balance arm on ot
Overall balance will be a possible problem but I already have adjustable counterweights on my system for different sizes of vane so it should be OK

I havn't tried the plastic bag trick. For light winds I have tried adding a bit of weight to the vane to make it more sensitive, but have also made up a slightly larger vane out of plywood. This was most definitely not needed or not a problem on this year's Jester! I find light airs in the Estuary difficult, not just for getting the sensitivity of the vane right, but for a whole host of other reasons as well.

fishermantwo

Visit site
Having a Hanse I generally sail with my self tacking jib but do have cruising chute & a genoa. It never occurred to me to sail genny only but I would loose a lot of sail area.
I have sailed with cruising chute only with a crew but might try it with the Aeries single handed having seen the comment above.
Normally If. Am having agro steering downwind I come round a bit & tack down wind. It tends to be just as fast as well. However, this is not so easy in places like the Thames estuary.

I have a home built ss unit that has the same ratios and lever ratios as a Sea feather which is pretty much universal these days. The difference when you construct your own is you can go crazy and make your own stuff to suit using the best materials or designs and ideas as you see fit. Your not constrained by cost or man hours. No reason why you can not carry a selection of windvanes for different conditions. I made several before I settled on the one I use now all the time. Most vanes are 800mm X 200mm and flat. Mine is made of cedar and is about 2mm thick at the leading edge and 8mm at the back edge. On the back edge is glued a wedge shaped spoiler about 20mm wide at the back edge. This introduces extra drag and makes the vane more stable. It can pivot back as well which seems to make it more effective downwind in light conditions. There are other designs about, I have seen a twin blade set up with 20mm spacers between the vanes. Another consideration is adjusting your counterweights sideways as well as up and down.
The windvane forum here is a good resource http://www.cruisenews.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=62
I'm Ramona on that forum and my new system can be seen here http://www.cruisenews.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=3636&sid=ab9f68fbce08bbf2b0183a3ba3c7cc92

ScallywagII

Visit site
I found in the Atlantic that it was generally harder to get a straight line track, regardless of whether I was hand steering or under Sea Feather. The Sea Feather never lost concentration but I did, so was probably better overall. Mine is a 26 double ended, and heading was affected by the general texture to the sea. The days when the wind was a long way abaft the beam were fairly fresh, so tended to sail under genoa alone. Perhaps the wide stern on your struggles more running than a double ender with more form 'balance'. Did you find any particular sail combination reduced the pull of the hull trying to round up?

Scallywag's running rig: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHDDT1g8j0E&feature=plcp

I found using twin headsails on long poles gave a very straight course, with no tendency to round up, as all the pull was balanced and from the front. This was not an expensive rig, I take the low budget thing very seriously. The blue genoa is the original 40 year old one, and the poles are home made epoxy / glass over ABS waterpipe. Ends are 8mm shackles welded to stainless sheet let into wooden conical pieces.

Note the absence of vane gear, the sheets are attached to the tiller with clove hitches. The course can be varied a litttle from dead down wind by simply easing one sheet. With more wind I reefed both genoas. It would also work with diffferent size headsails by adjusting the attachment position of the sheets along the tiller. A vane gear could be used with the twin headsails, but I understand that this can be challenging in light winds as the apparent wind is very light. With this rig, the vane area is the sail area.

Daydream believer

Visit site
On the back edge is glued a wedge shaped spoiler about 20mm wide at the back edge. This introduces extra drag and makes the vane more stable. It can pivot back as well which seems to make it more effective downwind in light conditions.

On the back of one of my vanes i fixed a piece of venetian blind each side as it is light & curved to allow the air to flow over it better.