Sea Trader 44

Bilgediver

Visit site
Am looking at a Sea Trader 44 right now. Can you give me any info on it?
Just follow the links in the various postings here and you get a good idea of the boats history and capabilities. It was built in Durban and sailed by some in the Indian Ocean. This is well known for adverse weather and sea conditions especially at the edge of the continental shelf. Seems a good boat but if buying one here I would repeat what is said in this thread and suggest that the documentation regarding payment of VAT and proof of being in the UK in 1998 when RCD came in would be sensible.

Csfisher

Visit site
My family owned a Barens sea trader (44 I think).
I was unfortunately only 4 years old at the time so don't remember personally - but we sailed it from Durban all the way to Turkey up the east coast of Africa as a live aboard. It handled everything that was thrown at us including storms, groundings, and fires (and raising me as a small child).

Our boat was called "before the wind" and I think it was a 1988 (possibly a couple years older). From what I've seen online, I think ours was slightly more unique from what I do remember as it had a dive platform overhanging on the stern from her days as a dive boat in a previous life.

I've been trying to track down the boat, unfortunately my father passed away a while ago and my mother sold it as it was left to rot in Tunisia when we moved to England. It sold for I think 4,000 euros as it was in a bad shape. I'd love to know what happened to it but that's another story.

My point is, I know from stories that the boat served us excellently and I'd buy one in a heartbeat and not just for the nostalgia.

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest