Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

Seajet

Visit site
I would it's a 'goer' today. Blue skies, wind in the north - but bloody cold.

Russell,

may I just suggest you keep an eye on the weather front coming in, probably Sunday; may be of interest particularly to those who don't have time to hang around in Poole - getting there does look good, chance of a NE which would be wonderful !

I would emphasize to people that ' got to be back at the office Monday ' is the classic way to get too interesting a trip; there's an excellent train service from Poole ( and a station at Wareham ) and places to leave the boat if it came to that, like Parkstone YC, Cobbs Quay just off the top of my head.

Hope it shouldn't come to that but it's always nice to have a Plan B up ones' sleeve.

Have Fun,

Andy

BlueSkyNick

Visit site
Russell,

may I just suggest you keep an eye on the weather front coming in, probably Sunday; may be of interest particularly to those who don't have time to hang around in Poole - getting there does look good, chance of a NE which would be wonderful !

I would emphasize to people that ' got to be back at the office Monday ' is the classic way to get too interesting a trip; there's an excellent train service from Poole ( and a station at Wareham ) and places to leave the boat if it came to that, like Parkstone YC, Cobbs Quay just off the top of my head.

Hope it shouldn't come to that but it's always nice to have a Plan B up ones' sleeve.

Have Fun,

Andy

They all seemed to be suitably competent to decide on their own plans, when I met them this morning.

Seajet

Visit site
They all seemed to be suitably competent to decide on their own plans, when I met them this morning.

I'm sure 'they' are, but several are rather inexperienced and had asked me to lead the way at least from Chichester as I have been to Poole etc many times before singlehanded, and had been asked to organise the whole trip when Russell and PhillM were otherwise engaged; ill health eventually prevented my going along this time.

I don't see any harm in mentioning options to someone who has never done such a trip before...

Ru88ell

Visit site
Some of us have arrived. Prv, Zagato, and me so far. Others not too far behind, although there are a couple of issues being remedied.

Can I say a big THANKS to Nick for the tour of Berthon this morning. Very impressed!

lustyd

Visit site
Well done, guys. If the winds were as strong in Christchurch Bay as they were in Langstone then you probably had "fun"! :eek:

Yes it was a bit interesting, and a dragon jumped up and snapped Chrissie's tiller! All arrived safely though and planning our return journey :)

PhillM

Visit site
Sounds like a great trip - glad to hear everyone made it OK.

Chrissie, I am sure you have everything under control but txt me if I can help.

Well Ru$$ell, you beat me to Poole!

Am sad to have missed it again. The trip round Berthon sounded fun.

I spent yesterday re-wiring and doing various other jobs - 3 off us did 11 hours of hard graft and I think I''ve still got another weekend or two before we can get off the pontoon!

Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable return trip.

Ru88ell

Visit site
Just myself, LustyD, Chubby, Chrissie, Ron Mason and Zagato in Poole. We're planning on making for Newtown tomorrow for a raft up, then home ports.

It's turned bloody cold.

prv

Visit site
It's turned bloody cold.

Certainly has - we've just picked up a buoy in Newtown and immediately retreated below with the heater on full blast and a big mug of tea each. Brownie supplies are badly depleted, so Chris is about to make a cake using Chrissie's pineapple raffle prize :)

Pete

Simondjuk

Visit site
Sorry we didn't manage to meet up with you all again last night. By the time we'd eaten it was just about closing time and we thought we'd turn in ready for a reasonably early start to make the best of the morning tide.

In the end, we slipped from Poole at around 0730 and, after a completely windless morning resulting in clocking up a few engine hours, were back on our berth at Swanwick by 1300 this afternoon.

A thoroughly enjoyable weekend and really good to catch up with folks again.

I'll post some more on the more on the Facebook page later, but here are a couple of the shots we grabbed yesterday.

IMGP1412_zpsb25e0424.jpg

IMGP1395_zps3d7219f8.jpg

IMGP1417_zps26ad0f9c.jpg

Ru88ell

Visit site
After a thrilling and quick downwind leg we are rafted in Newtown Creek. I'll put some pics on the FB page.

prv

Visit site
Well, the Ariam contingent are home now, boat cleaned and put to bed. A fast reach to Calshot from Newtown this morning, then a dead beat up Southampton Water.

Couple of photos from last night I couldn't upload due to lack of 3G signal:

Chicken curry for dinner, poppadums, naan, etc http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums...D6D9F3-13979-00001341F955015A_zpsac84cbd9.jpg

Making the chocolate pineapple cake: http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums...04A2CE-13979-0000134201418D9E_zpscc4acb7f.jpg

We only wanted enough cake for pudding and the odd cup of tea, and all my baking pans were too big. So improvised a foil one: http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums...3CC8A6-13858-00001326450B265D_zps6ed2b3b8.jpg

Finished cake cooling: http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums...2039AD-13858-00001325F96DE751_zps6d435aba.jpg

Breakfast was done under way as we wanted to get cracking; being a bit rolly we decided to just have scrambled egg in bowls with the last of the ham. Chris put a dash of curry powder in the eggs which was surprisingly good - no heat, just a bit of flavour.

We turned on channel 08 for a bit as we were passing Calshot, and heard Chubby giving advice about rounding Southwest Shingles and the Bridge, so you guys were obviously making good progress. Have a good night in Newtown tonight, and think of me trudging back to work tomorrow morning :)

Pete

Chrissie

Visit site
Hi Pete glad you are home and enjoyed it, we have just had a cockpt party in Newtown and are now having our dues collected by the national trust. We are all eating together again tonight, and where should we head to next year?

lustyd

Visit site
Well, the Ariam contingent are home now, boat cleaned and put to bed. A fast reach to Calshot from Newtown this morning, then a dead beat up Southampton Water.

Couple of photos from last night I couldn't upload due to lack of 3G signal:

Chicken curry for dinner, poppadums, naan, etc http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums...D6D9F3-13979-00001341F955015A_zpsac84cbd9.jpg

Making the chocolate pineapple cake: http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums...04A2CE-13979-0000134201418D9E_zpscc4acb7f.jpg

We only wanted enough cake for pudding and the odd cup of tea, and all my baking pans were too big. So improvised a foil one: http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums...3CC8A6-13858-00001326450B265D_zps6ed2b3b8.jpg

Finished cake cooling: http://i1168.photobucket.com/albums...2039AD-13858-00001325F96DE751_zps6d435aba.jpg

Breakfast was done under way as we wanted to get cracking; being a bit rolly we decided to just have scrambled egg in bowls with the last of the ham. Chris put a dash of curry powder in the eggs which was surprisingly good - no heat, just a bit of flavour.

We turned on channel 08 for a bit as we were passing Calshot, and heard Chubby giving advice about rounding Southwest Shingles and the Bridge, so you guys were obviously making good progress. Have a good night in Newtown tonight, and think of me trudging back to work tomorrow morning :)

Pete

I must have only just missed you then as I was outside Newtown as the others got to the shingles. I got to Hurst at 10:45 having spent the day at 5+ knots ttw and (I'll check later) 10 knots OTG...in a Vivacity!!

stranded

Visit site
Good to see everyone. Sorry we didn't make it to Saturday night nosh - by the time we had done the shopping and everything, well the hell raising head I remember in my fantasies gave way to the real body it lives on. An early night meant we were not far behind Simon leaving so motored all the way. Clocked 12.3 knots SOG through Hurst!

Mudisox

Visit site
And I'm just back after a quiet night looking at Sea horses in Studland, and taking the west going stream this afternoon, against the wind. Range insisted i stay on 255 [right into the wind and waves[ so little done in the way of clearing up until back safely on the buoy at Portland. Excellent raffle, interesting company, lousy pontoon party but at least we fed. Poole supplied interest too with a failed bowthruster on the coaster, which further delayed the refuelling party.
I thought of you guys with a fair wind as I slogged upwind. ? See you in Cherbourg then.

Ru88ell

Visit site
That's it for me then. I'm just about to leave this mooring in Emsworth channel for Northney to haul out.

It's been a fantastic few days, in fact nearly a week for me. I think we shouldn't organise it again next year.