Scotland - When do you plan to launch?

wully1

Visit site
No More lockdowns can only be guaranteed if we stay locked down long enough to totally eradicate Covid, and THEN seal up ALL the borders with no entry whatsoever without tightly controlled proper isolated quarantine.

Really...

OK, try this.

Lockdown is required until sufficient numbers have been vaccinated to reduce the transmission of the virus to manageable levels.
Covid cannot be eradicated in any sort of timeframe we’d live to see.
We have to manage it.
Which everyone (apart from some selfish boat owners it would seem) is trying to do.

Understand now?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
No More lockdowns can only be guaranteed if we stay locked down long enough to totally eradicate Covid, and THEN seal up ALL the borders with no entry whatsoever without tightly controlled proper isolated quarantine.
We don't need to eradicate it and never will. It's going to be like flu - an inconvenience to some younger people, terminal to some older people and an annual vaccination against the worst strains currently in circulation. I wouldn't bet on any long haul holidays for a fair while, though.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
I get my figures from TravellingTabby, which is showing 35 cases per 100,000 for Highland over the past seven days. Unfortunately, the new system uses the 28 day case rate - our 7 day rate here is 16 per 100,000 which is well within the new Tier 1. The good news is that if numbers stay as they are, or continue to fall, we should be in Tier 2 (Highland) and Tier 1 (Galloway) within three weeks or so. Which is why I can't see why they hope to put the whole country in Tier 4 at first. Seems very pessimistic.
Thanks for that. As I say, if they can "choose the figures that best suit their narative" they will. so by early April there should be no denying, even with the most pesamistic figures that we should be in a low tier.

Lets see if that happens or not.

ProDave

Visit site
Really...

OK, try this.

Lockdown is required until sufficient numbers have been vaccinated to reduce the transmission of the virus to manageable levels.
Covid cannot be eradicated in any sort of timeframe we’d live to see.
We have to manage it.
Which everyone (apart from some selfish boat owners it would seem) is trying to do.

Understand now?
ALL I am wanting at the moment is sufficient freedom to go and do some outdoor work on a boat with one or 2 others, and then launch that boat and sail it usually with one other at a time.

Sorry if you think that makes me a "selfish boat owner" and you think my meeting a very few people outdoors risks spreading the virus.

And I would also like the SG to be honest with their intentions. They SAY we will go back to the tier system so as soon as that happens we should be in tier 2. If they really want to keep the full lockdown until 90% of the population has been vaccinated then why can't they say that and take away the promise of going back to the tier system any time soon.? Oh might it be there is an election soon so they want to give the electorate some false hope?

CapPugwash

Visit site
I think we're all fed up of lock down, it has been a long time. Most of us will be in a better situation compared to the young. The retired amongst us need not go anywhere anyway and those that aren't are probably able to work from home quite easily, that's me. I personally don't think that lockdown is sustainable for everyone else, but that is for another thread.

Sailing has to be one of the least risky activities and I am looking forward to getting out on the water again. It is what is getting me through all of this. I wish we had a target date like the English. However, it seems that most people think that the 26th of April is the best we can hope for so that is what I am going to target I think.

6 weeks!

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Thanks for that. As I say, if they can "choose the figures that best suit their narative" they will. so by early April there should be no denying, even with the most pesamistic figures that we should be in a low tier.

Lets see if that happens or not.
Having now officially linked us to the WHO levels, it will be much harder to wriggle out. I think they know that a third lockdown will not go well at all and want things as low as possible before easing up. Much better an extra month of frustration now than an uncontrollable third wave over the summer.

Fascadale

Visit site
I would have thought that launch dates would be very much governed by circumstances

A yacht in a yard, being professionally prepared and then launched by the yard staff is going to get in much earlier than “self maintained “ boats in club yards dependent on the efforts of (often very skilled) non professionals on one club liftin day.

The current prohibitions on travel, the restriction to essential maintenance and the requirement for social distancing is likely to severely delay the traditional club liftin

I doubt any club would want to be branded the Rangers of the sailing world. Anyway, what’s a few more weeks in the great scheme of things?

Sadly......

ctva

Visit site
Having now officially linked us to the WHO levels, it will be much harder to wriggle out. I think they know that a third lockdown will not go well at all and want things as low as possible before easing up. Much better an extra month of frustration now than an uncontrollable third wave over the summer.
There won't be a third wave over the summer, that is the nature of viruses. Autumn when folks go indoors more is a different kettle of fish.

So keeping us locked in for an extra month or two compared to down south will make no difference come the autumn / winter waves.

ProDave

Visit site
The issue here is that the Scottish Government seem to think if we lock down longer we can avoid a third wave,

But if England opens up sooner they might have a third wave some time.

Anyone who thinks Scotland will avoid a third wave if there is one in England or Wales is living in cuckoo land unless they close the border to England and insist on a negative test or quarantine to keep the English third wave out.

Pushing sand up hill springs to mind.

So the mantra is keep the Scottish economy crippled longer than the rest of the UK to achieve something that is unachievable.

D

Deleted member 36384

Covid in Scotland: Sturgeon objective 'to eliminate' virus

I guess it will be next year then! Unless she can come up with a way of moving the country to the other side of the world, or Mars.

No sailing on Mars though :(

You are misrepresenting the SG position as stated in the article. They state that the virus can not be eliminated but they need cases lower so that they can manage a future rise. The implication being that we are not at that point yet.

Track and Trace is only effective on small numbers, otherwise we end up with National or regional lockdowns.

On the face of it the SG strategy appears sound for the economy going forward. I assume that Westminster is the same, as they too have said they will follow the science / data not a timetable, despite giving dates.

adwuk

Visit site
Chief Medical Officer Dr Gregor Smith said he did not believe coronavirus could be "eradicated", but said an elimination strategy ...

What we mean by eliminate is not to eradicate the virus.

...shrugs... I'm off to do some essential maintenance on the boat.

CapPugwash

Visit site
You are misrepresenting the SG position as stated in the article. They state that the virus can not be eliminated but they need cases lower so that they can manage a future rise. The implication being that we are not at that point yet.

Track and Trace is only effective on small numbers, otherwise we end up with National or regional lockdowns.

On the face of it the SG strategy appears sound for the economy going forward. I assume that Westminster is the same, as they too have said they will follow the science / data not a timetable, despite giving dates.

You misrepresent me! I'm only interested in the launch of my boat. I care not for the systematics of Politics. My point was simply that her attempt to mimic New Zealand will only mean that my launch will very likely be delayed.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
A yacht in a yard, being professionally prepared and then launched by the yard staff is going to get in much earlier than “self maintained “ boats in club yards dependent on the efforts of (often very skilled) non professionals on one club liftin day.
It would be nice to thinks so, but I'm dependent on the yard doing two jobs (insurance repair to pulpit and fitting new propeller - I can't reach) before I launch and as far as I know the whole yard has been closed since December.

There won't be a third wave over the summer, that is the nature of viruses. Autumn when folks go indoors more is a different kettle of fish.

It certainly got better last year, but another wave before summer proper looks like a possibility, particularly with more infections versions making the rounds. On the other hand, by the end of April almost everyone with a signiciant chance of hospitalisation or death from COVID should have been vaccinated.

The issue here is that the Scottish Government seem to think if we lock down longer we can avoid a third wave,

But if England opens up sooner they might have a third wave some time.
We'll have to see what happens in England. If they open up without serious problems then there will be immense pressure for us to follow and if the sky falls in down there we'll have had a lucky escape. So I am not averse to a short delay in order to use our friends and neighbours as guinea pigs.

D

Deleted member 36384

You misrepresent me! I'm only interested in the launch of my boat. I care not for the systematics of Politics. My point was simply that her attempt to mimic New Zealand will only mean that my launch will very likely be delayed.

No I don’t and clearly you have trouble with comprehension because New Zealand has not been mentioned once.

You are not the only one who wants to go sailing but it is hardly the SGs fault for that, by trying to control a pandemic.

adwuk

Visit site
deleted - its YBW after all, and the place for this stuff is in the upcoming SG elections.

Last edited:

Other threads that may be of interest