Same old questions, time for a change?

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com
t is a fact of forum life that the same old questions and queries come around at the same point in the yachting season. Currently antifoul is the hot topic, later on it could be polishes and potions or seacock overhaul. There are at least a half dozen or more regulars that keep on popping up.

I belong to a forum for BMW GS motorcycle owners with the same issue and they have resolved it by developing specific subject sections headed by two or three "stickys" with definitive posts designed to provide most if not all the answers. Have a look at the site to see what I mean: www.ukgser.com

There is still the facility for forumites to post questions or experiences that are outside the general coverage or offer a new solution to a problem.

The subject headings are clearly defined so that if, for example, you have a query about a particular GPS installation on your bike, you can usually find an answer or at least a direction towards a solution.

With the YBW forums it's a bit of a hotch potch with no order to it. The same or similar queries appear on Reader to Reader and Scuttlebutt and sometimes on both. All too often valuable information and experiences can be lost in the hugely varied list of subjects covered in just a few days. If it was possible to pick out and create those "sticky" definitive posts it would mean that people could access the forums and find the answer without having to post a query.

There might, for example, be a "sticky" on Liveaboard Link about getting to the Med through the French canals, with another about mast transport. A Vyv Cox sticky on anchor chain and swivels might be good as would Refueller on fuel issues. It would not mean than anyone else was prevented from putting an alternative view or limiting the wide range of subjects and situations covered, but I think such an arrangement would a real benefit to all the newbies who really need some basic information and advice.

I know there is the search facility and that it is better than it was, but a more organised approach devoted to the key FAQs might provide a better service. On the other hand we may just enjoy having the opportunity to put in our five pennorth and enjoy the eclectic style of the forums as they are.

Threesheets

Visit site
I quite like the hotchpotchness of these boaty forums. I think it demonstrates the huge variety of boats and boaty people. And so what if things are repeated. As a relative newcomer to sailing I'm happy to read stuff about anti-fouling and anodes.
Gsers, on other hand, are a focussed group of people who, lets face it, are regarded as a little bit strange by the rest of the biking 'community' - it's very difficult to tell one from another!

pmagowan

sites.google.com
You could have a wiki type site with all the most common topics. A consensus can be reached and good info included. You have a discussion page to 'see the workingout' and it can change with time.

[2574]

Visit site
Good positive suggestion.......

I'm never one to complain about "old favourite" subjects because they're not "old favourites" to newbies. We all need to learn. But the FAQ idea is great; newbies could go there and see a "bible" of answers to the top twenty questions that are always asked. Come May and June it will be "how to head West past Portland Bill in my new boat"; another FAQ which I'm sure would feature. Maybe the FAQ's library could be split by month of the year? So "Tube heaters" would appear in "October". Sensible?

rob

AIDY

www.ybw.com
my car forum has a wiki page... for all those most common subjects that come up....

they also have a stickie of what did i do to my car today thread.... anything from a engine service to buying it a valentines present gets put on the thread...

i'd love a what did i do to my boat today thread today !

West Coast

Visit site
Agreed this is a great idea - I was looking for answers to teak deck cleaning and maintenance - after much hunting through past threads found a number of threads with very useful information - how much better if this was "gathered" under some kind of common heading groups.

Is this a question for Dan?

aquaplane

www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk
I used a forum where done to death (DTD) threads were deleted without mercy and it worked well. It was made plain in the ToS that folks had to search for existing threads to add to before venting thier spleen on yet another "my flaming ex won't pay for HIS kids" thread.

The thread title has to bear some relation to the content, preferably closely.
Folk have to stay on thread, drift/chat makes the good accurate title meaningless.
Deleting trolls helps too.

seanfoster

Visit site
There are about a dozen on the Shogun/Pajero forum and they are brilliantly detailed (lots of step by step guides with photos for some really complicated tasks!) and extremely handy.

Might be a good idea to compile a list of 'hot topics' and get them going!

This forum is so good for finding out just about anything to do with your boat, and there are some seriously knowledgeable forumites on here!

Great Idea.

AIDY

www.ybw.com
I used a forum where done to death (DTD) threads were deleted without mercy and it worked well. It was made plain in the ToS that folks had to search for existing threads to add to before venting thier spleen on yet another "my flaming ex won't pay for HIS kids" thread.

The thread title has to bear some relation to the content, preferably closely.
Folk have to stay on thread, drift/chat makes the good accurate title meaningless.
Deleting trolls helps too.

I only works if you have a MOD that implements it....

MoodySabre

Visit site
Let's turn it into a book then we needn't talk, discuss exchange new experiences. We could cancel the "subscribed threads" and search functions. It could become so efficient and boring that we needn't come here at all.

:rolleyes:

gjgm

Visit site
People could try a search. Almost every other day someone asks how to remove a/f.
Well, the same options as yesterday ;)

AIDY

www.ybw.com
Let's turn it into a book then we needn't talk, discuss exchange new experiences. We could cancel the "subscribed threads" and search functions. It could become so efficient and boring that we needn't come here at all.

great idea... i could have some extra time on my hands....

samwise

kalessin-of-orwell.blogspot.com

I think you missed the point. In respect of passing on experience and good information, efficient must be good. It should not and would not prevent the usual exchanges that are such an important part of these forums. Diverting "hardy annual" queries would leave more room for those personal posts.

ChattingLil

Visit site
Again, it might just be me being not very good at searching, but I can hardly ever find anything I'm looking for. For instance, if you want to search on Antifoul Removal you can't group the search - such as "antifoul removal". You get EVERYTHING with "antifoul" AND "Removal". Perhaps it's the search tool that needs improving, or else better instructions on how to use it. Happy to be told that it's already there- but I can't find it. Natch... :p

dmmbruce

Visit site
I like the basic idea too. As a newbie here, I often find the information very helpful indeed.

I fear we don't say thank-you to the knowledgeable contributors often enough.

The ability to find the seasonal perennials would be good.

Mike

Last edited:

gjgm

Visit site
Again, it might just be me being not very good at searching, but I can hardly ever find anything I'm looking for. For instance, if you want to search on Antifoul Removal you can't group the search - such as "antifoul removal". You get EVERYTHING with "antifoul" AND "Removal". Perhaps it's the search tool that needs improving, or else better instructions on how to use it. Happy to be told that it's already there- but I can't find it. Natch... :p

I just tried this ! Searched "Antifoul".. within 15 seconds I get maybe 50 threads on the topic with quite a few on removal. Maybe a little legwork is needed, but there we go ;)

MoodySabre

Visit site

Just use google like this easy :)

RichardTaylor

Visit site
I belong to several forums and see the same questions being asked time and time again.

However please remember :
a) everyone is a newbie at some stage (and may not know how to get the best out of a forum).
b) technology moves forward and ideas and methodologies change (the old way isnt always the best).
c) asking these questions can be a very good way of getting into a forum and becoming known (good or bad) to the other contributors.

Finally I would love to see the uproar when Dan and his assistants start ruling this forum in a fashion more becoming of Adolf Hitler.

Therefore my opinion is let the questions get asked over and over again, if you dont want to read a post just ignore it, after all just because East Enders (or Corrie/Emmerdale) are screened most days doesnt mean you have to watch them.

colvic987

Visit site
This is one of the reasons that i tend not to visit the forum very much, as the same questions arise over and over again, most people tend to arrive on this site to specifically get an answer to a boat problem, (engine, sails, fibreglass/gelcoat), or as a newbie to boating and need to know about types of boats etc, and the firm old favourites which tend to get everyone's back up, and go on for ever and ever...

The search facility will tend to find most of the answers you are looking for, or you might have to rephrase your questions to bring up a slightly different array of answers..but i find that most people say that they can't be bothered searching.

Or maybe i have been on the forum to long and the questions and answers have been going around and around, and there is nothing much of interest anymore...