Mounting a solar panel on a wind generator pole

yotter

Me Inverkip, boat Kip in winter, Craobh in summer
Visit site
I use the NOA mounts for my smaller panels which are mounted on the pushpit rails..

They are very well made but not the sort you want. .

However, NOA do make a pole mount kit as well, so something should be possible.

Perhaps this can give you ideas..
Noa Solar Panel Turning Pole Mount with Deck Fitting | Force 4 Chandlery

And the Seamark Nunn website even has a photo which shows it in use (and shows it in more detail).

NOA Turning Pole Mount for Solar Panel 40mm

NOA make them for a 30mm, a 40mm or for a 50mm diameter pole...

View attachment 178033
I fitted one of these (40mm pole I think), it is well designed and constructed, I did add extra fittings to make the lower fixing point more robust. I have a rigid 80W panel on it. I think that is the recommended max size. It is pretty robust, but have to be thoughtful about what it is attached to. I take the pole down in the winter (with the panel), and would also drop it if there was a strong gale forecast (where possible). I am wary about and pitching moment in a seaway as this will cause shock loadings, perhaps more of an issue than strong winds. So avoid tidal overfalls!

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
The 11kg windgen has spun in 80kts with knackered bearings. The pole is solid.

A uj-mounted solar panel could be turned sideways and feathered.

That all said, what would be your recommendation for maximum panel size?

— W
The 11kg turbine has nothing like the surface area of a solar panel. I have no idea of what size either physical or electrically would be suitable but I see small pole mounted panels of about a square foot for weather stations and traffic lights dotted about but I doubt their electrical output would be significant on a boat other than maintaining a battery.
I think even if you tried to turn and feather a large 100 watt panel which is the sort of useful size it would still generate lift and put a load on the pole. All I can say is it's not a route I would be going down.

Alex_Blackwood

Visit site
Our Aerogen4 needs new bearings and swivel, and for the same cost and a lot less hassle I can get a 100W rigid solar panel.

The robust pole that has held the heavy Aerogen aloft for 21 years or more provides an ideal site.

How to mount it on the pole, though? Preferably so it can swivel in all directions to track the sun as required.

Has anyone else done this, and how did you go about it?

- W
If you consult Dr. GOOGLE for "Maximum size of pole mounted solar panels" There is lots of info. Possibly more accurate and useful than the well meaning speculation than we can give. :unsure:

B27

Visit site
Quite likely the pole will be OK. Think of a max wind speed then look up wind loading per sq ft.

Problem is more connecting the flimsy ali frame of the panel to the pole.
I put a simple wood frame around my 50W panel, a) to mount it by, and b) to cover the sharp corners.
It mounts on something as bit like a single hoop from a bimini IYSWIM
The wind force was not a problem, although I don't leave it out for named storms.
What was a problem was the mass of it wobbling on the end of a not-very-rigid frame.
I don't think that will be the same level of problem on a stout generator pole.

It's all very doable.
Doing it neatly is not so trivial IMHO.

Sea Change

Visit site
I'd be tempted to get a long narrow panel, and have it close to vertical, but able to rotate around the pole. Then you could feather it in to the wind whilst on a mooring.