Sailrite

sarabande

Visit site
Give SolentSew a call

http://www.solentsew.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_ILi9Ziq4QIVyrftCh3SIg4wEAAYASAAEgL06vD_BwE

+44 (0)23 9232 5975

They have a range of machines inc Sailrite, but can advise on specific requirement e,g, no use on sails, but yes to covers. very good support and also lots of videos of how to use the machines.

As far as machine gadgets are concerned, a walking foot, cord piping and as many other feet as you wish.

You can buy the bullet proof Reads, and HUsqvarana steel frame models on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...954858?hash=item287a80d32a:g:F84AAOSwydZcK-Fa

for repairs, but that is the steel frame model

for £100 to £200, as people want fancy electronics and built in gadgets.

here's an expensive Reads which looks like a good one. Optional and hard to find hand crank as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reads-Sa...103301?hash=item4691ef8185:g:bncAAOSwu4JcimQf

I am biased as I have a Reads and a Husky.. Ambidextrous, honestly, saves time ....

Hurricane

Visit site
Give SolentSew a call

http://www.solentsew.co.uk/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_ILi9Ziq4QIVyrftCh3SIg4wEAAYASAAEgL06vD_BwE

+44 (0)23 9232 5975

They have a range of machines inc Sailrite, but can advise on specific requirement e,g, no use on sails, but yes to covers. very good support and also lots of videos of how to use the machines.

As far as machine gadgets are concerned, a walking foot, cord piping and as many other feet as you wish.

You can buy the bullet proof Reads, and HUsqvarana steel frame models on ebay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-...954858?hash=item287a80d32a:g:F84AAOSwydZcK-Fa

for repairs, but that is the steel frame model

for £100 to £200, as people want fancy electronics and built in gadgets.

here's an expensive Reads which looks like a good one. Optional and hard to find hand crank as well.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Reads-Sa...103301?hash=item4691ef8185:g:bncAAOSwu4JcimQf

I am biased as I have a Reads and a Husky.. Ambidextrous, honestly, saves time ....

Thanks for that.
For years I have been using domestic machines and getting along reasonably well.
We keep a really cheap one on the boat for little jobs here and there.
At home we bought (17 years ago) an "all singing - all dancing" Pfaff Electronic machine.
Great bit of kit (with a walking foot) but still just a domestic machine.
I am now looking for something that will handle canvas and thick marine materials properly.

What is the difference between (say) the Reads and the Sailrite machines.
What would you suggest looking out for.
Being a motor boat, this isn't for sail repairs but I do like making canvas covers etc.

jfm

Visit site
Hurricane I can’t compare different brands but I have a sailrite LSZ1 and love it. 10/10. Great for covers. I bought it new from Solent sew and they’re very good folks. Prior to this I had various domestic machines and got by ok but the sailrite is in a different league. Handles much thicker thread.

Hurricane

Visit site
Hurricane I can’t compare different brands but I have a sailrite LSZ1 and love it. 10/10. Great for covers. I bought it new from Solent sew and they’re very good folks. Prior to this I had various domestic machines and got by ok but the sailrite is in a different league. Handles much thicker thread.

Thanks
I remembered that you had a tough machine so I looked back over your posts to find that you had bought a Sailrite.

I've been doing a bit of research - there are several compatibles to Sailrite.
One of the better ones seems to be the Reliable Barracuda.
None seem to be stocked in the UK though.

I've just been watching some of the Sailrite youtube videos and they have reminded me of a feature on my (well SWMBO's actually) Pfaff.
Click one button and it will always stop with the needle down.
The Sailrite LSZ1 was designed a very long time ago.
I wonder if there are any newer designs out there with some new electronic features like the Pfaff one above.

Thanks for your comment though.

Hurricane

Visit site
I called Solent Sew today.
Apparently Sailrite are now only selling direct - not through dealers anymore.
I contacted Sailrite and they have a current offer of $125 off the list price.
So, I've ordered one of the Premium packages.
Thats the one that includes the bigger (optional) balance wheel for even more power.
I hope I've done the right thing!!!

Hurricane

Visit site
I've just spent the last few days watching some of the Sailrite videos.
Really interesting.
I've done lots of boaty sewing projects - even making spinnakers for my various sailing dinghies.
But handling the heavier materials (canvas etc) was/is very difficult - especially with our domestic machines.

Anyone interested can find most of the Sailrite videos here (as playlists)
https://www.youtube.com/user/Sailrite1/playlists

Or their introduction to sewing - here:-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edkEsty9Mos

This is great support - even before my machine has arrived.
Mine should be here (from America) on Monday (assuming that I can get the import duty etc paid in time.

rlw

Visit site
Also thinking about purchasing one. I found the same machine with a different name for less than half the price on a aliexpress type site. (cannot remember where exactly). Read somewhere that the sailrite use the same machine but run it in and make sure it is tuned. Was tempted to go for this but worried about the lack of support which you get with Sailrite.

Hurricane

Visit site
Also thinking about purchasing one. I found the same machine with a different name for less than half the price on a aliexpress type site. (cannot remember where exactly). Read somewhere that the sailrite use the same machine but run it in and make sure it is tuned. Was tempted to go for this but worried about the lack of support which you get with Sailrite.

There are about 4 or 5 "compatible" machines like the Sailrite.
IMO the Reliable Barracuda is the best of the alternatives but not available from stock.
None of the machines are sold in the UK.

Have a read of these pages:-
This explains how all these machines evolved.
https://www.sailrite.com/ultrafeed-history
And this is a shorter version with a simple timeline on the Ultrafeed
https://www.sailrite.com/about-sailrite
Early days yet but, if you watch the videos, the support does seem excellent.
I had a very quick reply to an email that I sent prior to ordering.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
OK - well it arrived and I have done my first job with it.
Not an important job - just a cover for our Flybridge Helm Seats.
I chose to buy a REALLY cheap fabric for my first project.
Bit of a mistake - the cheap fabric has a "kind of" PVC backing which makes it very heavy to work.
The cheap fabric was £5.49 per linear metre (for 10m order) as opposed to Sunbrella at £20 per linear metre - both about the same width.
The cheap fabric is specified at 433gsm whereas Sunbrella plus is 320gsm so a big difference in the weight.
That said, it was a good exercise in getting to know the new Sailrite machine.
This is where I bought the cheap fabric.
https://aemarket.co.uk/collections/...ts/d600-fabric-material?variant=6497688715292
It probably hasn't got good UV protection but I was just looking for something to get me started without ruining expensive Sunbrella Plus.

Now that I've done the first job, from now on, I will be using quality materials and paying the extra.

I have done lots of little jobs in the past using our domestic machines.
This Sailrite machine lacks all the features that you get with a modern sewing machine but it is definitely built stronger and handles thicker fabric and thicker thread.

I've made a small video clip to show just how strong it is.
The grey fabric in the clip is the cheap heavy stuff that I mentioned above.
The second sample in the clip was pushing things a bit too far - the thread broke soon after that part of the clip but the Sailrite machine itself was very much capable of handling that thickness.

Or for a full screen link click here https://www.youtube.com/embed/ATjhdKW3g6s

The end of the clip shows the edge binding tool that comes with the Premium pack.
I have bought a number of different edge binding fabrics but the best material that I found was standard thin webbing.
I'm really only interested in making covers so canvas with tough edges seems to be the best edging material for me.
It is dead easy to use - just feed it into the tools and guide the fabric edge - gives a great result.

All in all, though - a great little machine.
I'm sure I will be making lots more covers in the future.
I intend tackling replacement cockpit covers - summer ones are on at the moment but the winter ones have now had it!!
Initially, I thought I would make new ones with the excuse that they are winter covers but maybe they will be good enough to become the main set - who knows!!!

If people are interested, I will post more pics through the year as these little projects are tackled.

Last edited:

doug748

Visit site
Thanks for the report Hurricane.

Looks great, that walking foot will be very useful.

"Bit of a mistake - the cheap fabric has a "kind of" PVC backing which makes it very heavy to work.
The cheap fabric was £5.49 per linear metre...."

I have bought stuff from Ebay for a similar price and do find mine fades badly and lasts only as season or two. However this is great if you are testing a design out - because you then have a template to work from or modify.

I have never used Sunbrella but the alternatives, from known sources, seem to be very good @ about £15+ m/ish.

djefabs

Visit site
All in all, though - a great little machine.
I'm sure I will be making lots more covers in the future.
I intend tackling replacement cockpit covers - summer ones are on at the moment but the winter ones have now had it!!
Initially, I thought I would make new ones with the excuse that they are winter covers but maybe they will be good enough to become the main set - who knows!!!

If people are interested, I will post more pics through the year as these little projects are tackled.

Always interested in 'these little' projects. If that machine found its way to SCM I've got loads of little projects :encouragement::encouragement::D:D

Hurricane

Visit site
Always interested in 'these little' projects. If that machine found its way to SCM I've got loads of little projects :encouragement::encouragement::D:D

It will be out there for the summer months - end of July - probably through through to mid Oct.
I've got to drive down in the summer with the trailer to get the newly covered cushions back to the boat - currently still with Martin at MJ.
So I intend packing the sewing machine and my home stuff as well.
It will be going home with me though.
I have more space to lay stuff out at home and these projects tend to lend themselves to winter jobs.

However, I do have a reasonably solid domestic sewing machine that I keep on the boat. Strong enough to do small canvas jobs.
A yachtie friend used it last month to make some winch covers so it does work.

I've just laid out my old winter cockpit covers and I think I will bring the project to replace them forward.
It would be good to do most of the work here and finally fit them in the summer.
I've also just done some tests with some spare fabric and window material.
I think I will use basting tape (double sided sticky tape - sometimes called Venture Tape in this industry) to fix the window in place - then sew over it.
I'll post a pic of my test.

BTW I've been using basting tape for years.
Started when I made my own spinnakers for the Hurricane.
I now find it really useful - especially in seams.
It is probably not the way to do things but it does leave a good result.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Visit site
Here's a pic of the test to fix a window.
JW's cockpit covers have a large window in the back panel (2.4m x 1.2m) and similar but smaller ones in each side panel.
It us usually the window fabric that fails first - probably due to UV.
I know some people who have created covers for the windows that they put on when they leave the boat.
I thought about this but my old ones lasted 10 years so I have decided not to protect the windows from UV - maybe replace them instead after they fail.

So, I was looking for the best way to connect the plastic window material to canvas,
The professionally made covers that I am replacing have welded connections to a white heavy PVC fabric.
I'm not going to invest in a welding machine and it probably wouldn't weld to Sunbrella Plus anyway.

So, this is the solution that I'm working to:-

WindowInCanvas.jpg

The inside of the canvas was "basted" with double sided tape which you can't see after it is sewn.
Then stitched.
I tried two rows of straight stitch and a longer pitch zig zag but I chose this one because it was easy and simple.
It shouldn't be that difficult to un-pick and replace the window material after 8/10 years.

djefabs

Visit site
I tried two rows of straight stitch and a longer pitch zig zag but I chose this one because it was easy and simple.
It shouldn't be that difficult to un-pick and replace the window material after 8/10 years.

I had the window material replaced after 9 years, it was done with 2 rows of straight stitch which seem to be a very fine pitch. No welding, and was/is very successful. Don't think I had a UV problem, they were just dull and scratched. Of course I did NOT do this, a very useful guy in Sarisbury Green did it for me. :cool::cool: