Sailing yacht radar visibility

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Because there is no requirement for boat builders to fit radar reflectors.

But there is a requirement for all suppliers of goods to be "fit for purpose" and must be compliant with all the regulations.

Here if you anyone sells a car it must have a roadworthy certification before it can be registered in the new owners name.

Never Grumble

Visit site
More yachtsmen lose the will to live after reading anchor threads on here than get run down due to not having a radar reflector.
Do people still read anchor threads ... if you have a new generation anchor why bother ... apart from to tell everyone the one you bought is the best.

On the radar issue, not sure how they have come on in the past 25 years but when I was watching keeping in frigates yachts painted as pretty spurious contacts and you were more likely to see it by eye at about a mile than you would hold a contact on a radar that you could monitor with any confidence. In flat calm seas the target might have painted a bit better on the radar screen but with anything much of a sea then there would be a fait bit of sea clutter. I ought to ask someone to see if it is any better nowadays.

Stemar

Visit site
Do people still read anchor threads ... if you have a new generation anchor why bother ... apart from to tell everyone the one you bought is the best.
I do - I like to annoy those who've spent a small fortune on the poshest anchor and chain on the market with the fact that I find my mixed rode and Delta perfectly adequate ;)

Neeves

Visit site
I do - I like to annoy those who've spent a small fortune on the poshest anchor and chain on the market with the fact that I find my mixed rode and Delta perfectly adequate ;)

Sailing is one of the few pastimes where what works for you is commonly correct.

Just - take care, stay safe and adapt.

Jonathan

Pye_End

Visit site
RYA quoting the MCA:

'It is strongly recommended that:

4.1 The requirements of SOLAS Chapter V Regulation 19 are complied with;

4.2 Yachtsmen permanently install not just carry on-board, a radar reflector, or RTE [radar target enhancer] that offers the largest Radar Cross Section (RCS) practicable for their vessel;

4.3 Small craft owners and operators are strongly recommended to fit the best performing radar reflector possible. It is also essential for skippers to be aware that, notwithstanding the type of radar reflector fitted, in certain circumstances their craft may still not be readily visible on ships' radars. They should navigate with caution. '