Sailing Superstitions - Do you have any?

michael_w

Visit site
Pour libations of rum overboard; usually start of the season, long voyages etc. Never leave for a long trip on a Friday.

Mad Pad

Visit site
It is also said that you should never have a wheelbarrow,an umbrella or a Naval Officer on board.
I don't think this is superstition...just common sense as they are all useless on a yacht?
Best,
Mad Pad

Last edited:

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I never put in the log "From a Port to a Port" .
That assumes you are going to get there..arrogance !
Always write "towards".
Mind you a few times I haven't made it then!
Mad Pad

True, another superstition is that you should never mention the destination as that is challenge to the sea to stop you getting there.

Visit site
That was a good read, loved the bit on 'women on board'. Brilliant.
The galley slave is a ginger, never gets cross, cooks bacon on board and has been known to bare her breasts on the deck.

ripvan1

Visit site
When renaming a boat it is custom to pour Neptune a few libations whilst saying a few grovelly words to his eminence - have done this once with new owners of my boat and a good day out was had by all.

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
I have only one - if it can go wrong it will. Apart from that I claim whistling on board is unlucky but that's purely because I can't the tuneless, thoughtless whistling done by may simply to fill a silence it seems.

adwuk

Visit site
When renaming a boat it is custom to pour Neptune a few libations whilst saying a few grovelly words to his eminence - have done this once with new owners of my boat and a good day out was had by all.

I have one - never rename a boat :)

ripvan1

Visit site
I have one - never rename a boat :)

I agree, but the new (lady owner) was adamant so as said a good day was had by all.

Many years previously I had a little Seamew without a name - when in the marina they entered it on their books as no name - so that's what it got called "Noname" pronounced with a Spanish accent :D

capnsensible

Visit site
On ocean passages, always check the washing up bucket three times before you empty it. Otherwise you will be in somewhere like Antigua shopping for teaspoons.

penberth3

Visit site
I never put in the log "From a Port to a Port" .
That assumes you are going to get there..arrogance !
Always write "towards"...

Shouldn't that be "bound for.." ? More traditional, and parts of your voyage may not actually be "towards".

Angele

Visit site
Bound to.

Bound up?

Oops! Sorry, wrong forum.

e14552.gif

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Hmm. I would always consider "bound for" to indicate the final destination of a voyage. There might be vias along the way!

I absolutely will not allow whistling on board. It is strictly forbidden. Anybody who whistles on my boat will have to pay a severe penalty (such as buying the beers that evening)

This is not a superstition though, its because like Boots I bloody hate people who pointlessly whistle (tuneless or otherwise). Get;s right on my wick it does :D

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I think I've got the full set:

No green boats (in 1973 my father and I bought a green boat and didn't repaint her - I lost the rudder off the North Foreland).

No whistling. No bananas. Always ask the health of the magpie's other half. Log book is always "towards" (I changed the Deck Log Books of the shipping company whose crest is my avatar from" To.." to "Towards..." and they are now Britain's largest...) No drinking under way. Nothing to do with a certain burrowing rodent with long ears, which must never be mentioned. Always say hello and goodbye to the boat, pat her, and remember to talk to her.

And a personal oddity - if I cross tacks with the Thames Barge Sailing Club barge "Centaur", I change my destination; she is unlucky for me.

And finally, there really is such a thing as an unlucky ship, and if you have one, the only thing to do is to sell it at once.

Last edited:

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I think I've got the full set:

No green boats (in 1973 my father and I bought a green boat and didn't repaint her - I lost the rudder off the North Foreland).

No whistling. No bananas. Always ask the health of the magpie's other half. Log book is always "towards" (I changed the Deck Log Books of the shipping company whose crest is my avatar from" To.." to "Towards..." and they are now Britain's largest...) No drinking under way. Nothing to do with a certain burrowing rodent with long ears, which must never be mentioned. Always say hello and goodbye to the boat, pat her, and remember to talk to her.

And a personal oddity - if I cross tacks with the Thames Barge Sailing Club barge "Centaur", I change my destination; she is unlucky for me.

And finally, there really is such a thing as an unlucky ship, and if you have one, the only thing to do is to sell it at once.

There is a huge amount of superstition surrounding the building of boats I never went into. The old wooden boat builders believed that every boat had a personality and that developed when they were building her. Some boats would cause problems from the moment the keel was laid and everything would go wrong.
If they had a boat build where everything was going totally wrong they believed the boat would be unlucky and they would actually scrap them and start again.
After all, in the olden days where there was no advertising everything was on word of mouth and reputation. If you got a reputation for building and unlucky or even lucky boat it could make or break you.

michael_w

Visit site
On Carriacou in the Grenadines, When they launch a newly built sloop, not only is much rum drunk, but a priest is called in to make the appropriate blessing and a chicken sacrificed on the samson post, just in case one of the deitys has got the day off.