Sailing around the Med with a 4.5k budget

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We have a fully fitted out liveaboard boat but only £4.5k left in our budget , is it possible to sail for the next six years on our budget, ? I could top up the budget with a bit of busken on the way , I can play the guitar but not too well and my singing voice , sound great if your at less 100 mts away .
I hear that this forum and the other forums here on YBW is a great place to get encouragement to do the impossible as there always a few who done it or who knows someone who's done it or at less read a book or blog on someone who manage it .
I live in hope that encouragement and hope is on the way.

RupertW

Visit site
Just put up notices in every bar you visit offering charter trips guaranteed to be half the price of a known local competitor. You will be trampled in the rush of new customers

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Just put up notices in every bar you visit offering charter trips guaranteed to be half the price of a known local competitor. You will be trampled in the rush of new customers

See I knew once I throw it out to you good guys the ideas will flow.
Tho not sure Which one I get less time for. Smuggling the poor migrants or illegal chartering .
Although both are good ideas , just would need to keep away from Vathi .

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
We often spend 10 or 20 Kuna when we walk past the young Croatian children who collect shells and flotsam on the beaches and glue the shells together with a hot glue gun or something to make little sailing boats or butterflies.

They're only little kids and they seem quite successful ..... so you could rush up and steal their money. :eek:

Here's another idea .... when we were in New York their was a man with a performing cat on a street corner and we chucked a few quarters into his box because I know how hard it is to persuade cats to do anything constructive. Have a word with Eddie and tell him straight that times are getting desperate and food could be in short supply. I bet he can do all kind of acrobatic stunts but he's keeping his powder dry until needs must ..... tell him that time has now arrived. :encouragement:

Richard

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Dunno about the med or 4.5K but met a good few along the way living on small simple boats on what to most here is unthinkable abject poverty and having a great time. :cool:
Well we managed for the last 9 years on 1500 a year ,
Mmmm remember I am dyslexia , so may be I missed out a zero

AndrewB

Visit site
£4.5k won't get you very far, maximum one year, beyond that you will need to work.

From our experience - SWMBO is a good jazz sax/clarinet player - you'll be lucky if busking gets you more than pin money. Even if you can land a regular cafe gig.

What other work can you do? Bartending and waitressing casual jobs are good in summer; port based boat maintenance, delivery, guardinage possible in winter. But casual boat-related work - we hoped to make money on sail and canvas repairs with our SailRite sewing machine - didn't earn enough.

The yachties who seemed to be most employable on a casual basis were chefs (men) and women with a nursing qualification.

The trick is to keep your own boat mooring and maintenance costs to a minimum while finding time to do this work.

I've met plenty of young people sailing round the world on this basis. Another strategy is to leave your boat some place while you go back home and earn enough for the next leg.

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
We often spend 10 or 20 Kuna when we walk past the young Croatian children who collect shells and flotsam on the beaches and glue the shells together with a hot glue gun or something to make little sailing boats or butterflies.

They're only little kids and they seem quite successful ..... so you could rush up and steal their money. :eek:

Here's another idea .... when we were in New York their was a man with a performing cat on a street corner and we chucked a few quarters into his box because I know how hard it is to persuade cats to do anything constructive. Have a word with Eddie and tell him straight that times are getting desperate and food could be in short supply. I bet he can do all kind of acrobatic stunts but he's keeping his powder dry until needs must ..... tell him that time has now arrived. :encouragement:

Richard

Richard , Eddie says he be happy to help and do a bit of juggling as long it with some chicken wings and fresh sardines . only problem I can see ! he prob eat more then he earn .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
£4.5k won't get you very far, maximum one year, beyond that you will need to work.

From our experience - SWMBO is a good jazz sax/clarinet player - you'll be lucky if busking gets you more than pin money. Even if you can land a regular cafe gig.

What other work can you do? Bartending and waitressing casual jobs are good in summer; boat maintenance, delivery, guardinage possible in winter. A nursing or teaching (English) qual is a great asset.

The trick is to keep your own boat mooring and maintenance costs to a minimum while finding time to do this work.

I've met plenty of young people sailing round the world on this basis. Another strategy is to leave your boat some place while you go back home and earn enough for the next leg.
I can teach spelling and grammar.
OK NO COMMENTS FROM YOU LOT.

GHA

Visit site
Just remembered meeting another couple in an anchorage somewhere, living well on very little. They'd sail back for a winter in the UK, find a cheap mooring/anchorage and work anywhere, stacking shelves, bar work, anything to top up the kitty a bit then head back to the sun again.

Davy_S

Visit site
Suggest you pick some nice flowers (Roses seem to work) from the graveyard, then walk up to diners in a Taverna and sell them for 2 europs each, it works for the Gypsies!.:rolleyes:

steve yates

Visit site

What other work can you do? Bartending and waitressing casual jobs are good in summer; port based boat maintenance, delivery, guardinage possible in winter. But casual boat-related work - we hoped to make money on sail and canvas repairs with our SailRite sewing machine - didn't earn enough.

The yachties who seemed to be most employable on a casual basis were chefs (men) and women with a nursing qualification.

Andrew, vic's taking the mick :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
B#stard. I didn't notice he was the OP.

Actually a lot less crazy than some of the recent hopefuls here, I was quite pleased to be able to make positive remarks for once.

Me taking the Micheal , NO WAY ...
hey mybe your SWMBO and I could do gigs while you and christine do some bar work , now that might work .
Some years back Christine was packed out over the winter with canvas and sails repairs that I had to say enough was enough the boat was like a Chinese sweat shop sails and canvas littler the place ,
She spend nearly every day below and all you could hear was zzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzzzz zzzzzzz if you look down you see was a cabin full of sail moving on its own , she be there some where .
we come to an agreement that she only do work for people we know now and to get others fellow sailors out of trouble.
The last two winters there not been much time to help anyone out , we been busy with our own refit , now at last nearly finish. that just remind me another job to add on to the new list .
But thanks for you input Andrew , some good suggestions, not so sure about the teaching part :) .
Now back to my problem with the 4.5k budget , we had 2 giros A beer and a glass of wine last night so our funds have dropped by 11€ which mean I will need to fish to feed the cat , use the stall bread left on the table next to us last night for toasted for our breakfast , and Christine will have to use both anchors one at a time until we can get a clear space to sail out of the anchorage so we don't start the engine and use fuel , god know what we going to do for lunch .