Sail Numbers

mark_sabin

Visit site
Peeps, How do I go about getting a sail number? Is one allocated to a yacht at launch or is it allocated when requested by its owner?

Mark

<hr width=100% size=1>

snowleopard

Visit site
sail numbers are allocated by all sorts of bodies. manufacturers may number their products, class associations, RORC and other racing bodies also allocate them.

remember it's not like car number plates, you can put what you like on your sails from numbers through advertising artwork to rude slogans. the only time it matters is when racing.

why do you want sail numbers? i have none and don't feel deprived!

<hr width=100% size=1>

bedouin

Visit site
Official GBR numbers are normally allocated by RYA, although some other also issue them (e.g. RORC, maybe CCC).

Some class associations also issue them - noticably Contessa have a range with a CO prefix.

In order to race you usually need either a GBR number, or one from a recognised class association. Going abroad you are recommended to have a GBR number.

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

same with me, i'm puzzled 've got 5133T on mine, where would that have come from? and waht does it mean ie is the T significant?

<hr width=100% size=1>

G

Common ...

As most know - most numbers are issued with the boat by the manufacturer when commisioned. Often indicating the 'consecutive build number'. The letters often indicating the model of boat.

Good example being the Centaur ...... CRxxxxx

Other bodies issue for specific reasons ... racing / Origin ID etc.

If you have a boat withgout sail-number - as I have - you are quite at liberty to chosse a number yourself - but beware ..... it's unlikely but you can be contacted if you a) pick something rude b) copy another boats intentionally or unintentionally, c) use something totally inapropriate .... such as another countries race designation ........

Anyway that was what explanation and advise I was given by 1) Colvic and 2) RYA etc. Seemed to be reasonable and acceptable ........... so what did I do .... ?????? Nothing in the end !!

What was that about 666 ???????

<hr width=100% size=1>Nigel ...
Bilge Keelers get up further ! I only came - cos they said there was FREE Guinness !

bedouin

Visit site
This really needs someone older than I to answer.

The GBR designation is comparatively new - prior to that numbers were issued from a range of series, most being K (as a prefix), but also a number of different suffices, including T, Y and C. My own boat has a "C" number, which was issued by Clyde Combined Clubs, although originally just xxxC, since the GBR designation came in it is correct to use GBRxxxC instead.

I would imagine that you may be entitled to use the GBR5133T number on your sails - I suggest that you contact RYA (who administer GBRxxxT numbers) and check with them.

<hr width=100% size=1>

mark_sabin

Visit site
thanks for the advice. Why do I want one?...fair question...I was reading the results for the round the island race and noted that all were identified by their sail numbers. Our sails do look pretty bare without in comparison to others (obviously). We aspire to take part in next years round the island (Hospitalisation stopped us this year) so I will heed advice given and look further into it. Again thanks for all the advice.

Mark

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
In general you will require numbers for racing (I have a vague recollection that the ICC is slightly accomodating).

Originally I seem to recall that the Y series were generic, T were for boats involved in sail training and R's (allocated by the RORC) were for serious racers. Looking at boats these days the mix seems pretty catholic!

Apply for your number early as there is a summer rush. If youy are an RYA member numbers come for free, otherwise there is a small charge. You may also find the Sailing Instructions require a dodger (usually only on the port side) to have numbers replicated (so that you can be identified with the sails down). Dont forget number placement and size is defined in the RRS, and you need them on mains, overlapping headsails and the fwd side of spinnakers (how you tell on an asymmetric is beyond me!)

Clean the sails and apply the numbers with bucket loads of elbow grease, otherwise they'll come adrift...

GBR prefixes are required for all races run under ISAF/RRS regs, unless the sailing instructions specify otherwise.

Dont forget to check your insurance cover, and empty the boat of as much kit as possible (we removed 2 tonnes of kit for a race last year).

<hr width=100% size=1>

Evadne

Visit site
Where does "K" come from then? My boat had a K-prefixed number on her sails and, having been registered almost before I was born I assumed that it was an official UK prefix that she had once been awarded in her dim and distant racing days, and had it put onto all replacement sails. (K6716 in case you are interested)

<hr width=100% size=1>