? RYA Questionnaire On Boating In The EU 27 (esp the 90/180 rule).?

Kelpie

Visit site
A positive development, for me anyway: it looks like I can get an Irish passport in time for us leaving next year. SWMBO and the boy will not be so fortunate, but it allows a few possibilities that could keep our plans on track.

A related question: if you have two passports, you obviously have to use one to check in and out of a country. Can you then switch passports before checking in to the next country? Or do you have to come home to break the chain?

Mistroma

Greece briefly then Scotland for rest of summer
www.mistroma.com
A positive development, for me anyway: it looks like I can get an Irish passport in time for us leaving next year. SWMBO and the boy will not be so fortunate, but it allows a few possibilities that could keep our plans on track.

A related question: if you have two passports, you obviously have to use one to check in and out of a country. Can you then switch passports before checking in to the next country? Or do you have to come home to break the chain?

Pretty certain my brother-in-law did this regularly before he retired. He lives in Canada, would leave on his Canadian passport and show his UK one when arriving in Britain, Italy or France. Perhaps it has changed with more use of computerised systems. I was planning to do the same thing with my Irish passport in UK and Greece.

I'm pretty certain that your wife and family might eventually get some advantage from your Irish passport. Last time I checked my wife could get a visa (poss. longer stay) free of charge and there was a rule about it being fast tracked if she had to travel without one and had proof of marriage (e.g. marriage certificate). All post-Brexit of course.

All theoretical at present as we both use UK passports. No advantage to an Irish one until UK citizens are no longer EU citizens.

shan

Visit site
Citizenship is something rather different from residency.

In the Schengen Zone it is Residency of an EU state that confers the freedom of movement. Albeit modified in the case of non-EU citizens.

Citizenship tends to cloud the issue so as it is easier to acquire and meets the needs of most, I tend to stay withIn the implications of residency and leave the academic debates to others.
Residency allows me more than 90 days in Portugal but then I still have to comply with the 90/180 day rule for the rest of the Schengen zone. Citizenship gives more leeway.

syvictoria

Visit site

I was under the impression that a non-EU spouse (and I assume also non-EU child) had full freedom of movement rights when travelling together with their EU spouse? Your Irish passport should therefore work a treat!

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site

I have both a British and German passport, I use the German one for all travel. If I intended to stay in the UK for more than 6 months I would enter on my UK passport .

If you use your British one in the EU then it will get logged and either start or stop a Schengen clock.

You might want to look here concerning your non-EU family.....

Your non-EU spouse and children's residence rights in the EU

If you are married or in a registered partnership with an EU citizen that is living, working, studying or looking for a job in an EU country different from the one they come from, EU rules make it easier for you to join them there. The information on this page applies also to children and grandchildren joining their EU family abroad.

If you want to join your EU spouse or registered partner in their country of origin and you haven't lived together in another EU country before, only national rules will apply to your situation.

syvictoria

Visit site
I have both a British and German passport, I use the German one for all travel. If I intended to stay in the UK for more than 6 months I would enter on my UK passport .

If you use your British one in the EU then it will get logged and either start or stop a Schengen clock.

You might want to look here concerning your non-EU family.....

Your non-EU spouse and children's residence rights in the EU

I've read this before, but somehow I've read it differently today... What will the situation be as an EU citizen/passport holder who officially resides outside the EU (UK after Brexit)? Is all the 'joining your spouse' etc. going to in fact be null and void? Are there any third country residents reading this thread that hold an EU passport and have a spouse/partner who doesn't? If so, do you get challenged at passport control? Is this whole thing balanced on whether or not the passport holder 'resides' in the EU too?

Hope that made sense.

GHA

Visit site
Depends, if you arrive from a euro airport then there's usually no passport control. From UK I'll usually use Irish passport to enter. Though can't see how they can log people in the country (like Portugal) when you can come in and out so easy on a plane train or automobile without even getting a passport out of the bag.

st599

Visit site
I've read this before, but somehow I've read it differently today... What will the situation be as an EU citizen/passport holder who officially resides outside the EU (UK after Brexit)? Is all the 'joining your spouse' etc. going to in fact be null and void? Are there any third country residents reading this thread that hold an EU passport and have a spouse/partner who doesn't? If so, do you get challenged at passport control? Is this whole thing balanced on whether or not the passport holder 'resides' in the EU too?

Hope that made sense.
Yep, if you don't live, work, study or job hunt in the EU, your partner and child are treated as third country nationals.

st599

Visit site
Depends, if you arrive from a euro airport then there's usually no passport control. From UK I'll usually use Irish passport to enter. Though can't see how they can log people in the country (like Portugal) when you can come in and out so easy on a plane train or automobile without even getting a passport out of the bag.
That's the current situation, but ETIAS is due to be implemented by 2022.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site

My passport was always checked in Munich and Nice airports ... also in Split, Rome and Zagreb - usually at a desk or electronic reader before entering security.

... and as st599 pointed out, ETIAS starts in 2022.

ETIAS News & Information for Visitors coming to the EU - ETIAS.COM

st599

Visit site
Okay, that's our plans right royally ****ed then. Thanks Brexit.
Already hit a few of the people I work with. Most have relocated and commute to London. In the opposite direction, we're looking at how to get Schengen visas as necessary.

GHA

Visit site
My passport was always checked in Munich and Nice airports ... also in Split, Rome and Zagreb - usually at a desk or electronic reader before entering security.
No passport check recently coming into portugal from amsterdam, or out and back to berlin - no passport check. CDG from memory the same, walk on and off the plane/airport.

syvictoria

Visit site
Do you hold an EU member passport? If so, there's a possibility of your wife and children applying for Citizenship (provided) you live in that EU member country.

I very fortunately have eligibility for two EU passports (applications currently delayed due to 'life' and Covid-19), but unfortunately I 'reside' in this wonderful (irony, in case anyone misses it) country. So, choices are to relocate - impractical and expensive - or to spend a great deal of time and money jumping through hoops to get my born and bred other half the required visas as we travel. Or option three, sell the boat and give up on it all. I say again, thanks Brexit.

What if my 'residence' was my boat and we sold our house here? But then, what about income and taxes? It's all an almighty cock up. I can't believe that I've misinterpreted the rules all this time. I'M SO SO ANGRY.

Many apologies for the rant.... ?

shan

Visit site
I very fortunately have eligibility for two EU passports (applications currently delayed due to 'life' and Covid-19), but unfortunately I 'reside' in this wonderful (irony, in case anyone misses it) country. So, choices are to relocate - impractical and expensive - or to spend a great deal of time and money jumping through hoops to get my born and bred other half the required visas as we travel. Or option three, sell the boat and give up on it all. I say again, thanks Brexit.

What if my 'residence' was my boat and we sold our house here? But then, what about income and taxes? It's all an almighty cock up. I can't believe that I've misinterpreted the rules all this time. I'M SO SO ANGRY.

Many apologies for the rant.... ?
Nothing to apologise for.

Yes, your boat can be your residence. It would be worth looking at the tax regimes in the countries you would qualify for an EU passport. Perhaps, you could start a thread on tax treatment specifically mentioning the 2 countries? I'm sure there would be someone able to post you in the right direction for information or at least give you a steer on which country is likely to be the most advantageous option. Always remember, tax is one small part of the puzzle. Cost of living and quality of life are balancing factors.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

nortada

Visit site
Going back to the OP, I'd say a vast majority was an overstatement. It'll suit those whose sailing is based around one country but those cruising will find thier options constrained within Schengen

As the OP, I would suggest that the vast majority who go overseas don't even have boats.

The majority of UK boat owners do not sail out of the UK and of those that do, the majority go for a short time and stay fairly local. Most of these people will not be affected by Schengen

The remaining few that travel further tend to operate from one country and have shorter cruises in other countries. Residency will resolve their problems.

It is true to say that those who used to cruise long-term from EU country to EU country may have to modify their plans.