RYA Magazine

Toutvabien

Visit site
The latest issue of the RYA Magazine has just popped through my letter box and it is laying unread on the table as I cannot even be bothered to take it out of it's wrapper. Having been an RYA member for nearly 20 years I have been receiving this "membership benefit" for a good while, but it has always been something that I struggle to find any interest in.

It appears to be written on the basis of a number of cobbled together press releases from various organisations, some stuff picked up from the web and a few bits about various RYA projects such as junior power boating or Olympic development squad.

I may be alone in holding this very negative opinion, and the rest of the RYA membership eagerly await the arrival of this well regarded publication.

Does anybody know if it cost the RYA money to send this mag out, or would the advertising cover it's costs?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
You are certainly not alone! I skimmed through it in about five minutes. Almost nothing in it of interest and questions in the 'Yachtmaster Quiz', usually the most interesting item, are often bizarre.

Resolution

Visit site
TVB
If you have not taken it out of its wrapper, how can you know what is inside this issue?

Mine came out of its wrapper and went pretty quickly into the re-cycle bin. But then I would hope that after forty years of keen sailing there are few new topics about which to read. I expect the RYA and RNLI mags are written for a much less deeply involved readership.

Habebty

Visit site
The latest issue of the RYA Magazine has just popped through my letter box and it is laying unread on the table as I cannot even be bothered to take it out of it's wrapper. Having been an RYA member for nearly 20 years I have been receiving this "membership benefit" for a good while, but it has always been something that I struggle to find any interest in.

It appears to be written on the basis of a number of cobbled together press releases from various organisations, some stuff picked up from the web and a few bits about various RYA projects such as junior power boating or Olympic development squad.

I may be alone in holding this very negative opinion, and the rest of the RYA membership eagerly await the arrival of this well regarded publication.

Does anybody know if it cost the RYA money to send this mag out, or would the advertising cover it's costs?

That's about my opinion of it as well so +1 really.
(Member for 15 years)

jwilson

Visit site

Member for about 30 years, if it doesn't more or less cover it's costs with advertising they should scrap it..... Read this latest one in about 5 mins, then recycle bin. The one item of interest was that yet again they are asking for members who have had real problems with no VAT paperwork to report it. AFAIK they have been asking this for many years and had virtually no response.

xyachtdave

Visit site
I got the RYA membership fee back with the discount from buying a jacket at the Cotswold Store which is one of the benefits from membership. This makes my ICC renewal 'free'.

I had a quick flick through the magazine, then straight to recycling in less than 10 minutes.

The extra advertising paperwork inside must surely have been approaching the legal limit for stuffing junk into magazines!

Beyondhelp

www.aboardmyboat.com
Member for 4? years. Agree nothing of interest in it for me really. Not actually sure what they could even change to make it of interest. Only kept membership for some of their offers but not used any the last couple of years.

Burnham Bob

Visit site
I find these 'duty' magazines - produced because they feel the membership should get something - are usually a bit naff. the Caravan Club magazine and the RNLI news magazines hardly qualify as a good read either. the membership is too broad for them to produce a magazine featuring anything other than generalities and a bit of club/organisation puffery.

JimC

Visit site
I rarely find anything of interest in the magazine. I always flip through it but usually bin it without reading any of the articles. I would gladly do without it and pay a bit less subscription.

AndrewB

Visit site
Pretty mobo girl on the cover .... that's about it.

A wasted opportunity and a waste of money to distribute. At least RYA has a good website.

horatio_nelson

Visit site
The magazine is dull rubbish :( The only benefit my RYA membership (subsequently lapsed, for now) got me last year was 20% off a night's stay at Chantereyne marina, Cherbourg.

Is it worth renewing? I'm all for supporting the sport / industry etc but value for money so far has been poor..

PhillM

Visit site
Mine hasn't arrived yet so cannot comment directly.

But I'm interested to know, if you were editor what would you include?

Keith 66

Visit site
Dull & boring with nothing to commend it. As a direct comparison the RYA should take a look at how Brtitish rowing do things. Far more supportive of clubs & their equivalent magazine Regatta is a genuinely good read with a wide spread of interesting articles. These rarely go in the recycling until they have been read several times.

Seven Spades

Visit site
I read YM from cover to cover. How difficult would it be for the RYA to write something interesting? I think this is one of the best threads here, no one has defended the magazine, it certainly holds no interest to cruisers, perhaps it is of more interest to dinghy racers?

Let's hope that the RYA take note and pt this issue on their agenda, there are lots of former journalists that they could employ as consultants to help them sort out magazine. If they could make it interesting enough, they would get more advertising. If you think about it the magazine is a fantastic opportunity which is completely wasted.