Rubbing strake replacement

Oletimer

Visit site
I think it's time to replace the rubbing strakes on my little ship. I have no idea as to the wood but presume it could be Oak or similar hard type timber.
pandos wanted a picture and now that I can post one, it'll be a pleasure:

Dreamcatcher.jpg

Not sure of the clarity, but can you guess the wood I'm working with?
George

Oletimer

Visit site
I think it's time to replace the rubbing strakes on my little ship. I have no idea as to the wood but presume it could be Oak or similar hard type timber.

View attachment 78566

George

Looking at the picture the quality isn't brilliant, I'll try to find a better one.

johnlilley

www.seasurveys.co.uk
Almost certainly not oak, most likely to be either afrormosia, iroko or maybe mahogany (sapele). Obviously you can use teak but that will be prohibitively expensive and unlikely to have been fitted originally. If it is dark brown then it will either be iroko or afrormosia, if it is red when you plane it back it will be sapele (mahogany look alike)

scruff

Visit site
As an alternative, you can now get new synthetic teak trim tor toe rails / rubbing strake. It may be a fairly effective use for it bearing in mind the abuse a rubrail can take.

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
Difficult to say from the picture. When replacing the old Teak rubbing strake/toe rail on my boat (a Wauquiez Centurion 32) I didn't even bother with finding Teak. I opted for Iroko - much less expensive and just as good, IMHO.

aVixpIx.jpg

B5KfmXm.jpg

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Judging by the age of the boat it could be mahogany which is now replaced with sapele. My 1970s Leisure was that but was replaced with rubber bumpers which were were more practical. Available from Seals direct.

Oletimer

Visit site
TBH, I don't know which way tom go. I would like to keep it as close as possible to 'looking right' so no super duper technology that looks 'too new' especially nothing that obviously looks 'out-of-place'.
I do need to replace the wood, but I think I'll keep with wood. It just 'feels' right to me . . .
do think I'm getting too old, my daughter thinks I don't take 'modern' corners very well. :confused:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Leave it alone it doesn't look to bad at all unless there is some damage we can't see. After all it's a rubbing strake it's supposed to get worn and be sacrificial.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
View attachment 78566
George

When I went to my supplier Importer of timbers for my yacht I asked him for timber to match my sample. He deliberated for quite some time and mentioned several timber names before deciding it was a particular type of timber.

From then on I've picked timber that matched my existing timber as who is going to notice the difference when an expert has difficulty naming a particular specie of timber?

I'm wanting to add a rubbing strip as I've never considered the timber around the gunwale to be a rubbing strip. I'm now considering a synthetic section glued (Sika 291) to the hull about 3-4 in. below the stripe. Would that be considered workmanlike?

IMG_1646.jpg

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site
View attachment 78589

What would you do with it?

More than the rubbing strake, I would give first priority to re-positioning your stern light. The arc of visibility is impaired by the transom-mounted rudder and this renders the light non-conforming with regulations.

nav-lights.jpg

Of course, if you opt for an all-round light it has to be higher, at least one metre higher than sidelights.

coopec

N/A
Visit site
Unless there is damage or rot we can't see, I would have a go with a heavy sander to get the weathered surface off .

I'd agree with that but I hope it wouldn't have to be too heavy. (And finish it off with a couple of coats of Cetol) Nothing is perfect....

Last edited:

lw395

Visit site
When I went to my supplier Importer of timbers for my yacht I asked him for timber to match my sample. He deliberated for quite some time and mentioned several timber names before deciding it was a particular type of timber.

From then on I've picked timber that matched my existing timber as who is going to notice the difference when an expert has difficulty naming a particular specie of timber?

I'm wanting to add a rubbing strip as I've never considered the timber around the gunwale to be a rubbing strip. I'm now considering a synthetic section glued (Sika 291) to the hull about 3-4 in. below the stripe. Would that be considered workmanlike?

View attachment 78590

I would not do that.
It won't be very effective at fendering and it will create a lot of drag as the boat heels.