Route du Rhum

dunedin

Visit site
So not the full on RdR carnage yet, but certainly a few casualties - first multihull has capsized, after the regulation dismasting and ship collision etc
Mind you, with nearly 140 boats, bound to be some casualties in such a full on race starting in November

harry potter

Visit site
So not the full on RdR carnage yet, but certainly a few casualties - first multihull has capsized, after the regulation dismasting and ship collision etc
Mind you, with nearly 140 boats, bound to be some casualties in such a full on race starting in November

Feel the pain. Water! Water!

The race

9 nov. 2022 - 20:34

After returning to Saint Malo in the same lock at 2010hrs this evening, the disappointed Ollie Heer (Oliver Heer Ocean Racing) and Kojiro Shiraisihi (DMG MORI Global One) described the incident which occurred just at the Cape Fréhel buoy, just over three hours after the start. The most obvious damage to Heer’s IMOCA is the bowsprit and the pulpit whilst DMG MORI has damage to the starboard side which is being assessed tonight. Heer said, “I am gutted to say the least. It was a port-starboard incident at the Cape Fréhel gate. I was on starboard and Koji on port. I decided that even though I would have made it through the gate but I decided to hitch closer in land to get out of the tide. I tacked over and was a couple of minutes into the tack and was about to pull the windward daggerboard up and there was a massive bang. Iwas thrown into the pit. I was convinced he had seen me. I was just about to pull up the windward daggerboard. But now there is huge disappointment and frustration we have worked hard to get here. But we have until Saturday to get it repaired. We are optimistic. The biggest damage is the bowsprit, the crash box took most of the impact and we have a minor hole in the port side. We have a lot of people supporting us. I have Pete Hobson who was the designer of Alex Hugo Boss on the way here on the ferry. And we will try everything to get going again. We are optimistic.” On the dock Koji apologised, saying, “We were on the same tack near the mark and he tacked and I did not see him coming. Then buoy was really close and I could not avoid him. The damage is really big but at the moment I am really glad Ollie is fit and healthy.”

Lightwave395

Visit site
We've just returned today from a week on our boat in Roscoff, a couple of the RduR boats came in to the marina Wednesday night / Thursday morning damaged having hit the rocks off the Ile de Batz - the badly damaged Class 40 'E. Leclerc' ( the store not the 'Allo Allo' character...) with rips in the hull and a write off starboard rudder, the IMOCA 'Reve de Large - Region Guadeloupe' with various smaller issues, the Ultim 'Use it again' with damaged bow and pulpit and a smaller 50' Tri called 'Pir2' which came in under tow by a lifeboat with no engine

A shore team arrived and they put 8 large barrels of water on the stern of the Ultim to get the bow up enough for a complete glass / carbon fire repair job and she left 24 hours or so later, the class 40 was sinking so came straight out in the night

Class 40:

C40 keel.jpg

hull1.jpg

rudder.jpg

The Ultim bow:
20221110_121926.jpg

dunedin

Visit site
An explosion and following fire onboard Fabrice Amedeo Imoca, the boat sank he was rescued by a passing cargo.
Hardly ever heard of fire/explosions on racing yachts, maybe lithium batteries?
Yes, that is a scary new addition to the Route du Rhum list of “carnage“ opportunities. Glad the skipper is OK.

It would be very interesting to get a full post race analysis of the causes of the various incidents

Meanwhile the Ultims are literally flying towards the finish line at 30+ knots

Frogmogman

Visit site
An explosion and following fire onboard Fabrice Amedeo Imoca, the boat sank he was rescued by a passing cargo.
Hardly ever heard of fire/explosions on racing yachts, maybe lithium batteries?
Here is the article from Ouest France. Sounds like Fabrice had a really scary time. So glad he’s ok; he always come across as a lovely guy.

(You can click on English at the top of the page to have it google translated into English).

Route du Rhum. « Je suis au milieu des flammes » : le poignant récit du naufrage de Fabrice Amedeo

Frogmogman

Visit site
The leading Ultim Edmund de Rotheschild is homing in rapidly on the finish - perhaps overnight tonight if the wind lasts
That boat is one hell of a piece of kit.

Edmond de Rothschild was my daughter’s main client, so I had been hoping she might be able to blag something on that front. Unfortunately she got moved onto the boring old HSBC account ?

dunedin

Visit site
The leading Ultim Edmund de Rotheschild is homing in rapidly on the finish - perhaps overnight tonight if the wind lasts
And that's EdR claimed line honours, taking almost a day off the previous course record to finish in under a week (though clearly helped by moving the start date to a much more favourable weather window to exit the Channel, as speeds generally not limited by wind but constantly throttling back for waves)

Sybarite

Visit site
And that's EdR claimed line honours, taking almost a day off the previous course record to finish in under a week (though clearly helped by moving the start date to a much more favourable weather window to exit the Channel, as speeds generally not limited by wind but constantly throttling back for waves)
6 days 19 hours and 47 minutes.