Route du Rhum

flaming

Visit site
I’ve been in at malo for the last couple of days, just got home in fact. It’s completely and utterly mental… The number of people coming just to look at the boats…
And the boats….! I was lucky enough to get tours of some of the IMOCAs, including Maitre Coq, which is brand new. Just wow. And the class 40s are almost as mad, the latest ones aren’t even pretending to be pointy at the bow. And at rest the first part of the boat to touch the water is a good 6 feet plus back from the bow.
And then the Ultimes. Holy moly, 1 person…

There was quite a lot of nervousness about the forecast. Especially amongst the IMOCA fleet, as a lot of the fleet are going to need the miles for Vendée qualifying. Plus a significant portion of the fleet are so new that this will be the first time sailing in any wind…

Will be worth following for sure, but I’llonly be able to relax once Pip is safely through the heavy stuff that’s due in the first couple of days….

Bobc

Visit site
It is one hell of a fleet this year, that's for sure.

I had a good look at most of the new Imocas and the Ultimes last month in Lorient, La Foret, and La Trinite. The new Charal is a complete beast, and as you say, some of the new 40s are just mental.

I will be watching with interest.

harry potter

Visit site
Love it that Herrmann the German observed that besides commercial traffic, weather conditions, and wind farms, one of the chief problems to be encountered at the start was French Lobster Pots! Didn't mention orcas though.

capnsensible

Visit site
Enjoyed watching that start.

Images. Boats over the line early. Assistant crew to help to the start line with 10 minutes or so to go jumping overboard for rib pickup.

Quote. Big boat skipper ' I've got food for 7 days but I don't think I'll need it all'.

:)

harry potter

Visit site
Could they all hang together to go through the shipping lanes, so that at least some get a decent rest? This seems to be a race of attrition.