Ropecutters

i_sail

Visit site
can anybody reccommend a particular type of ropecutter. So far I think the SPURS (as fitted to lifeboats) cutters are the best. Does anybody know if AMBASSADOR are better? Also does it affect VOLVO warrenty?? HELP!!......

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Starting the engine affects V!*?* warrenty's. So suspect fitting rope cutters is ok. BUT DONT USE THEM!!

<hr width=100% size=1> <font color=blue>No one can force me to come here.<font color=red> I'm a volunteer!!.<font color=blue>

Haydn

dickh

Visit site
The Ambassador seems to come out best in tests with the Spurs running a close second.

<hr width=100% size=1>dickh
I'd rather be sailing... :) /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

JamesS

Visit site
We've a Spurs cutter fitted and has proven itself in anger on at least two occasions. If I were purchasing a new boat would certainly fit them again.

Cheers

<hr width=100% size=1>

PeterGibbs

Visit site
1. No, a cutter would not invalidate a Volvo warranty - unless the fitting was such that it weakened the stern gear in some way that contributed to a claim problem - a highly unlikely event.

2. I have had Spurs on an earlier boat - ok, but the shearing action of the Ambassador on my present boat is demonstrably superior. The plain cutting disc-type is in another category - hence it is much cheaper. What influenced me is that Ambassador is a highly engineered piece of gear manufactured and supprted in the UK by the designer - useful when seeking advice on the suitability of a particular model and how to DIY install, which I have done on my S Leg drive.

With some unscrupulous fishermen fitting steel wire to their gear, you will need to fit a cutter that can give way under extreme stress, rather than carry away the stern gear - worth asking the supplier on this topic.

Finally, don't let any of this put you off fitting a cutter - I have mine to thank for a speedy and cost-free rescue on several occasions, with both plastic sheeting and fishermans pots. If you every encounter an obstacle be prepared for your engine to shut down suddenly and without warning. You will of course check out the situation visually before applying any mechanical solutions. The trick thereafter is to take it easy as you get the cutter to chew its way out of trouble; dodge in and out of neutral both forward and reverse when you have restarted the engine, never hold in one gear, and watch over the transom to see if the problem is being shredded away. Never apply full throttle until completely sure the prop is clear and there is no damage to alignment etc - realigning your stern gear and buying new bearings, shaft etc will cost well into four figures if you get too gutsy with the power too early!

PWG

<hr width=100% size=1>