Rodgers W27

Rattler

Visit site
Does anyone here have any experience of racing in or against this boat? It was produced in Wales in the mid 90's when there were many sports boats around. It was designed by Simon Rodgers as a smaller version of the W30 "Sticky Fingers" and it has a swing keel. Any information would be great.

Thanks.509089_2.jpg

Last edited:

uknij

Visit site
Remember looking at one at Southampton boat show 95 or 96.
Really liked the look, lots of competition at the time like Bull 7000, Projection 762, 707 etc so guess didn't sell too well.
She was called Little Fingers, outboard was in well under cockpit floor and had water ballast tanks.
Never seen one sailing, or any race results, but wouldn't mind finding one myself.
Was yours for sale on Apollo Duck in Ireland?

Rattler

Visit site
Yes, that's the one OK it was 95. I am giving it a mini refit and may launch in September if all goes to plan. I understand that only 4 were produced, as the price was £23,787 ex Vat that may be why so few were made. Do you remember if "Little Fingers" had a blue hull? I was trying to find out how competitive they are on IRC. The IRC cert I have is from 2006 and is .951. The boat has not been raced since then. Might be good for the growing number of two handed races if not a little too small.

uknij

Visit site
Scan of original brochure, yes Little Fingers had blue hull, pictured with hand prints on transom
W27a.jpg
W27_1.apng.jpg
Guessing going to be hard work to sail to handicap, good in the right conditions.
Been sailing Projection with IRC around .960. On the right day it works but generally hard work.
Do you have the water ballast set up, would be great fun shorthanded.

Yacht Yogi

Visit site
The brochure shows "Isis Projects". I was once offered the moulds and design of a boat called an Isis 21 around the same time that the W27 was being built. I guess Isis Projects went out of business. I saw an Isis 21 at Warsash some years ago. Any relation?

Beast of Bodmin

www.atlantismarine.com
She's a great little boat -I did Cork week on her .We could easily hold much bigger boats especially when we got rid of the overlapping headsail the owner had bought .With the designed rig she was higher and faster in the 10knots we had for that one race

Rattler

Visit site
That's the information I was hoping for. I was considering not going for the big headsail but now with your experience I will just go with the standard 110% jib and hope the IRC rating comes down a bit as well. The last IRC cert was in 2006 @ .951 but I guess this would have come down a bit anyway but less headsail area has to help with the rating.

Rattler

Visit site
She's a great little boat -I did Cork week on her .We could easily hold much bigger boats especially when we got rid of the overlapping headsail the owner had bought .With the designed rig she was higher and faster in the 10knots we had for that one race

What was the name of the boat that you sailed on in Cork week? was she from Cork or Cornwall? Also do you know how many were produced?

Beast of Bodmin

www.atlantismarine.com
It was the factory boat from Wales either little fingers or two fingers - I'm not aware of anymore being built . They made the classic mistake of launching it straight into a race week and not having a good enough driver to make it perform properly . It was designed to sail shorthanded with water ballast but tanks wern't fitted at that time. We were 5 or maybe 6 up
Have fun with her

savageseadog

Visit site

Overlapping headsails are so yesterday.

Dino

Visit site
I recognise that boat. I sail in LRYC very close to where the photo was taken but I also remember she used to race in Cork 6-8 years ago. She appears to have seen very little use on Lough Ree. I have never seen her out sailing just on a mooring.
Will you be keeping her on Ree?

Rattler

Visit site
No she will be sailed on the east coast. She was just day sailed for the last nine years. I'm doing a mini refit, paint job, instruments and general tidy up.