RNLI charity swimmers had to be rescued by the RNLI

islandsailor

Visit site
Wonder whether they will count this as life's saved?

Love the quote

Peter Barker, from Margate RNLI lifeboat station, said: ''Our inshore lifeboat at Margate was on exercise in the area when they spoke with people and it seemed very clear that a number of swimmers were experiencing difficulties in swimming against the tide.
''We went and picked up the swimmers and there were no injuries or problems.''

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pic...escued-by-the-RNLI.html#.TlvdlAEoCQk.facebook

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Swimming AGAINST the tide???? FFS, who organised that then? Any swim organised on a river or sea must take the tide or current ito account!!!

I hope it wasn't organised by the RNLI - they should be ashamed of themselves if they did. :eek:

Edit;
organised by coaching and event company Votwo

Somebody should be disciplined for that - ideally the project manager who should have assessed & understood the risks.

Last edited:

VicS

Visit site
Somebody should be disciplined for that - ideally the project manager who should have assessed & understood the risks.

Given the weather condiitions and the tides what. What were the foreseeable problems/ risks.

I wonder if the start was delayed with the result that the tide had started flowing strongly before the 3.8km swim had finished.
It should have finished during during slack water

Last edited:

Pye_End

Visit site
I always thought that Joss Bay was a good safe place to swim, but I guess that it is a matter of how far out you go. Inshore the tides seem pretty slack there to bathe. However, sailing round the Foreland with the tide against you can be pretty gruelling.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
The Police do an annual 5 mile Mersey River swim from Liverpool to New Brighton. With a 4-5kt ebb the weakest swimmer will get washed up at New Brighton in an hour if he doesn't sink or miss the landing stage. It's just a matter of planning, then having an adequate number of ribs/ small boats to track EVERY swimmer.

There is a swim across the Menai Straits to Caernarfon every year too, shorter distance, but the tides are across the course so timing is more critical. Kayaks are used to accompany swimmers to reduce the number of ribs needed.

People have swum the Irish Sea, North Channel & loads swim the Channel, but it does require top notch planning. These are not swims to be taken lightly.