Right angle drill

Oily Rag

Visit site
Can anyone recommend a right-angle drill or drill attachment fo use in a tight space? Needs to be bi-directional.
Many thanks.

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have 2 right angles drills one is an old Ryobi and the other is a DeWalt.

It all depends on the space you have as the Ryobi has a smaller chuck and can get into tighter spaces with shorter drill bits

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
For the convenience of needing fewer battery types I decided on Makita some years ago. Now have a number of 18v tools and am happy.

For a specific, important job on an engine that was a pig to get to, I added this 10.8v set to the collection. Light because of the smaller battery, and works well.

Also good on board, as lack of space is the norm rather than the exception.

1722881369635.png

Last edited:

DownWest

Visit site
I had to drill a small hole in an awkward corner where there wasn't room for my Makita right-angle drill.

One of these drill attachments and a small chuck did the job, and didn't cost much:
View attachment 180980
I wondered about those, glad you got some use out of it.
I bought a B&D right angle drive when I had to drill several holes in tight corners. Too tight to have a chuck, so adapted the drill to thread into the box. Did the trick, so worth it for that. Had come in handy a few times since then.
It had a threaded bit to mount to a B&D drill after you took off the chuck; and the same thread on the output to put the chuck on. M&F. Got a local machine shop to put a thread on the back of the drill bit. Saved a lot of hassle.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I use a 90 attachment if it’s tight. My right angle drill is the biggest and most powerful LXT one Makita do. It’s normally used with a winch bit, to save my arms on the folding mechanism and main halyard.

Oily Rag

Visit site
Many thanks to all for your replies. Now that I know hexagonal drill bits are required, I have to ask if Mikita and others do left-handed ones for drilling out a broken stud. 🙁

chris-s

Visit site
Depending how much space you have and what you want to spend, this would take regular drill bits…
IMG_1034.jpeg

IMG_1033.jpeg

.. or this in a whatever drill you have…

IMG_1036.jpeg

penberth3

Visit site
Many thanks to all for your replies. Now that I know hexagonal drill bits are required, I have to ask if Mikita and others do left-handed ones for drilling out a broken stud. 🙁

Don't worry about left-handed drill bits. It really doesn't make any difference.

Metalicmike

Visit site
I use a 3/8 cordless Ratchet for those hard to get to nuts and use an adaptor for the 6mm hex drill bits. If its a large hole I use a vibrating saw.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
For the very occasional use I have a Metabo right angled drill attachment which is extremely robust and well made bought over 20 years ago when I needed to drill large holes in bulkheads for Eberspacher ducting. It was expensive at the time bought I got it cheaply from a friend who had an engineering supply business. When I have needed it it has been invaluable.

Metalicmike

Visit site
EZ-OUT SCREW EXTRACTOR
I use a 3/8 cordless Ratchet for those hard to get to nuts and use an adaptor for the 6mm hex drill bits. If its a large hole I use a vibrating saw.
Sounds like this is a repair that could go pair shaped very quickly, Drilling a broken stud dead centre is not easy when it is accessible. Achieving that with a 90 degree drill is bordering on impossible. Whether the stud is in Cast Iron or Aluminium, both are softer than the stud so if the drill can drift off centre it will run off. You need to consider whether the cost of it going wrong out balances the cost of at least making it more accessible. The shape of the fracture may need dressing with a bur to get the drill central. Final Tip check the drill tip to make sure that the cutting edges are equal and at the same angle ( You may think this OT but I recently was drilling holes for riveting with the supplied drill and the drill kept going off centre). Good luck.