Replacement drive belts

Philiz

www.shabiera.co.uk
Did a full service on the boat on Saturday and noticed the belts could do with renewing. Does anyone know of a good (cheap) scource for replacement supercharger, alternator and water pump drivebelts for a VP KAMD43P?

Thanks in advance! :)

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Did a full service on the boat on Saturday and noticed the belts could do with renewing. Does anyone know of a good (cheap) scource for replacement supercharger, alternator and water pump drivebelts for a VP KAMD43P?

Duno, but I used to take all belts from my machines, to the engineers shop. who would measure them and give me new ones for about two quid a piece.

They seem to be all a regular sze.
OK but a few hundred of them.

oldsaltoz

Visit site
Why not fit a reliable and longer lasting belt?

All my belts are Gates green line, very little stretch so hardly ever need adjusting, They are a little more expensive but last many years.

Filter wash is the agent, well worth a call.

Good luck.

PS. I fitted a double belt drive 240 volt oil cooled Motorola alternator to a Dozer to floodlight the work area at night. It ran for about an hour and shredded the belts, the dealer arrived with a 'matched set', installed them, they lasted just under 3 hours.

Installed two Gates green line belts and they were still on the machine 4 years later and never a problem, this dozer was used 7 days a week and averaged 18 hours a day.

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc

Phil, they'll all be off the shelf items. If you can't cross ref the part number, you only need the circumference and width to match them up.

I've got the cross ref info for the KAD32, not sure if any of those are the same as yours, what's you part numbers ?

You can look up a Gates stockist here : http://www.gates.com/automotive/distributors/index.cfm

Or any motor factors should be able to help.

Latestarter1

Visit site
Always try to avoid green engines as usually leads to a red face.........however more about belts.

What is all the talk of belt stretch??? As far as I can see KAD engines have Polyvee belts with self tensioning idler, or is it age and stupidity showing itself again.

Polyvee belts and self tensioning idlers were invented by Dayco Corp and they are without doubt still the best replacement belt in the aftermarket. Do not get me wrong Gates version of Polyvee is perfectly acceptable. Both Dayco and Gates Polyvee style belts are obtainable from most commercial factors, you just have to specify them or you en up with generic junk.

When we were experimenting with Polyvee belts and different belt wraps on new engines in the early 80's really useful guide was that the last four digits of the Dayco part # identified belt length in millimeters, not sure if this is still the case.

Philiz

www.shabiera.co.uk
Thanks guys, plenty to go off there. I don't have the belts at the moment, they're still on the boat, but I have all the numbers so will try local suppliers tomorrow.

You're right Latestarter, polyvee with self tensioning idlers, except for the alternator which appears to be standard vee belt set-up.

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
Thanks guys, plenty to go off there. I don't have the belts at the moment, they're still on the boat, but I have all the numbers so will try local suppliers tomorrow.

You're right Latestarter, polyvee with self tensioning idlers, except for the alternator which appears to be standard vee belt set-up.

What are the numbers Phil ?

oldgit

Visit site
Used some of them on my old volvos,bought as aftermarket belts and cheap compared to VP ones.
Just took old belts into motor factor and he matched them up with new ones.

Latestarter1

Visit site
Used some of them on my old volvos,bought as aftermarket belts and cheap compared to VP ones.
Just took old belts into motor factor and he matched them up with new ones.

Big big telling off coming...........

If you are using Polyvee belts Dayco then Gates, noname stuff is generally pile of poo,

V belts, to be more specific dual V belts (pet hate of mine) MUST be sold in matched pairs. OEM belts always come in pairs, factors have habit of selling individual belts for dual belt arrangements..............total disaster!

Unless factor is aware that matched pair batches is critical you are wasting your money.