Repeat Prescriptions

sailaboutvic

Visit site
In Greece at least, and from memory, many other Mediterranean countries, a lot of drugs that are prescription only in the UK can be bought over the counter in pharmacies here.

I found that in most countries, I needed some blood tables in Tunisia , no question once I show here the box .
Much cheaper then the UK for the same make .

maxi77

Visit site
Your observation on morality is interesting.

If a Brit is paying their UK taxes, morally they are entitled to support from the UK NHS.

If there are regulations that duck this NHS responsibility, therein lies the immorality - taking the money but not providing the service.

For the record, I am lucky enough not to have any repeat prescriptions so rather than personal interest, mine is an ethical position.

We actually have copies of EU form S1 which proves our entitlement to UK health care as we are UK pensioners

nortada

Visit site
We actually have copies of EU form S1 which proves our entitlement to UK health care as we are UK pensioners

Am I right in thinking that the S1 is only issued if you declare you are going to live permanently in another EU state and does the S1 cover the provision of repeat prescriptions originating from within the UK or do you have to go to a local medical set-up, show your S1 and get the doctor to issue a new prescription under their rules❓

In Portugal you cannot get ‘free prescriptions’ and they will not prescribe Piriton and other drugs freely available in the UK, without a prescription.

Last edited:

greeny

Visit site
In Greece at least, and from memory, many other Mediterranean countries, a lot of drugs that are prescription only in the UK can be bought over the counter in pharmacies here.

Agree in most cases but as with one tablet I take, I can't get it here in Portugal at any price and don't intend going through the pain of trying new medications for months to find something else that may or may not work. Fortunately a good doctor in uk agrees with me.

greeny

Visit site
Am I right in thinking that the S1 is only issued if you declare you are going to live permanently in another EU state and does the S1 cover the provision of repeat prescriptions originating from within the UK or do you have to go to a local medical set-up, show your S1 and get the doctor to issue a new prescription under their rules❓

In Portugal you cannot get ‘free prescriptions’ and they will not prescribe Piriton and other drugs freely available in the UK, without a prescription.

Good question.
I don't know the full answer but if the S1 only gives you medical rights when in the uk, then it does no more than the ehic does. So it must allow you stay registered and receive medication I would have thought.
Or is it to do with which country pays, ie if you have portuguese ehic, are not S1 and receive care in uk, the bill should be sent to Portugal by the NHS. If you have S1 then the bill stays in uk maybe.
Too complicated for mere mortals.

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Good question.
I don't know the full answer but if the S1 only gives you medical rights when in the uk, then it does no more than the ehic does. So it must allow you stay registered and receive medication I would have thought.
Or is it to do with which country pays, ie if you have portuguese ehic, are not S1 and receive care in uk, the bill should be sent to Portugal by the NHS. If you have S1 then the bill stays in uk maybe.

Have you registered with doctor at local Centro de Saude? As a resident you are entitled to do so and get medical treatment under Portuguese health system. No need for S1 (which I "heard" was being discontinued for new applicants) or EHIC.

Tony Cross

Visit site

Good question.

Been there, done that. :)

When you apply for an S1 (easiest by phone) they will ask you the date you left the UK, so yes, it's only available if you go to live permanently in another EU state. You take the S1 form to the health agency in whatever EU country you go to live (in Greece where I am it's EFKA) and that allows you to use the state health service of that country (paid for by the NHS in the UK). In Greece EFKA gives a lot more than the EHIC gives you. With EFKA healthcare many prescription drugs (those considered essential for life) are subsidised and access to many aspects of healthcare is easier with EFKA than with the EHIC, because the Greek system is all computerised and with an EHIC you're not on it so booking appointments etc. is much more bureaucratic.

If you do get an S1 form keep a copy of it, the local healthcare agency will take it off you. On the form it says that presenting this form entitles you to NHS care as though you were ordinarily resident in the UK so you're covered for visits home.

maxi77

Visit site
Good question.

The S1 shows which country accepts responsibility for your medical costs, so when we became resident in Portugal the S1 allowed us to get a social security number and become registered at the local medical centre. For the rest of the EU for the time being the EHIC is the thing and a copy of the S! can be used to confirm your entitlement to full NHS services in the UK. I understand that as we get free prescriptions in the UK there is a method to claim back Portuguese prescription charges but have not investigated further