Removing PE Foam?

www.bavariayacht.info
I'm repairing a fibreglass seat that was originally filled with Expanding Polyurethane Foam. Unfortunately, water has penetrated and soaked the foam. I've had it in the boiler cupboard for months (much to to annoyance of SWMBO), and although the foam on the edges has dried out, a core sample taken today is still damp.

Due to the shape of the seat I can't get at all the foam to scrape it out, is there another way?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
No chemical way that I know of, it's pretty much inert. Mechanical only, I think. Can you trepan a hole, chop it all out and then replace the disc? Or use an electric drill with a bent wire in the chuck? Not knowing the shape of the thing makes it difficult to suggest anything.

www.bavariayacht.info
No chemical way that I know of, it's pretty much inert. Mechanical only, I think. Can you trepan a hole, chop it all out and then replace the disc? Or use an electric drill with a bent wire in the chuck? Not knowing the shape of the thing makes it difficult to suggest anything.

Have attached photo. One of the spurs at the top got snapped off, along with the top ridge above "Bavaria Yachts". I managed to rake the foam out as far as the bend to the horizontal, but no further. I'd rather not make any more holes! :)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36384

Nigel,

This is a good candidate to be opened up. I would establish the best way to cut a top or bottom panel off, scrape out the foam, rebuild the interior and stick the panel back on. The join could be repaired such that it would not be noticeable.

For example: Use a Multitool and cut right around the edge about 5 mm below a face. Then insert a long hacksaw blade and slice away the foam until you can lift the panel off. The panel that faces the deck when the seat is in position might be a good candidate to cut out.

If it was me I would do the cut and clean work myself but have an expert glue the panel back on and make good the finish.

Its probably the only way you can establish full integrity again.

Regards,

Alastair