Regulator suitable for both solar panals and wind & water generator

EssexAnne

Visit site
on my 40ft yacht I have 2(two) x 60 watt solar panels producing maximum 4 to 6 amps each AND a wind/water AMPAIR generator producing 100 watts – 8 to 10 amps maximum. My battery set up is as follows :- batteries 6(six) in total – 100amp hour each. In a bank of 3(three) domestic 1(one) engine start 1 ( one) keel/centerboard lift and 1 ( one) windlass.
I am looking to install a suitable regulator/ controller. Can anyone suggest suitable products or advise/support
many thanks – and awaiting your reply.

halb

Visit site
Try a Marlec Hrdi, designed for both solar panels and a wind generator, I've both on board 160 solar and a Rutland 913, it works well, but would suggest you contact Marlec and speak with the technical dept, they'll advise you if the Hrdi is suitable.
Jon

VicS

Visit site
on my 40ft yacht I have 2(two) x 60 watt solar panels producing maximum 4 to 6 amps each AND a wind/water AMPAIR generator producing 100 watts – 8 to 10 amps maximum. My battery set up is as follows :- batteries 6(six) in total – 100amp hour each. In a bank of 3(three) domestic 1(one) engine start 1 ( one) keel/centerboard lift and 1 ( one) windlass.
I am looking to install a suitable regulator/ controller. Can anyone suggest suitable products or advise/support
many thanks – and awaiting your reply.

Please read the Instruction manual for the Ampair very carefully in particular the section on the electrical installation.

http://www.remotepowerinc.com/documents/Ampair_100_manual.pdf

I think you will be restricted to choosing one of the Ampair controllers:
Regulators S1B & S3B have a single 100-watt input (Ampair, Aquair or UW). Regulator type S1B
has one output battery connection. Regulator S3B has three output connections to serve up to
three battery banks with a common negative. The third regulator D1B has two 100 watt inputs
(any two from Ampair, Aquair, UW or solar panels), supplying a single battery bank at a fixed
regulation voltage.

The snag appears to be that you have 4 battery banks but the max number that the Ampair controller (S3B ) can supply is 3 but it only has single input

D1B can accept a second 100 watt input ( eg for a solar panel) but only has a single battery output

I think with the complexity of four battery banks , solar charging, Ampair and presumably engine alternator charging You need to look at the whole system including the engine alternator

I am thinking an S1B controller for the Ampair and a MPPT or PWM controller for the solar panel with charging from these and the alternator distributed by VSRs. ??????? Getting messy !!

The Marlec HRDi suggested above may not be suitable for the Ampair. You would have to check that out. It may only be suitable for Rutland wind gens. It only has two outputs so still the same problem in chargin 4 banks

You do not say how you split the charging between 4 battery banks at the moment.

Last edited: