Refleks Heater without chimney

big_s

Visit site
Hi all,
I am thinking of buying a drip diesel heater for my 26ft yacht, but I don't like the idea of drilling a big hole in the coachroof to fit the chimney. I am in the process of doing a diesel to electric conversion so the yacht still has the engine exhaust pipe, including some sort of large baffle box (plastic), going out the transom.
Just mulling over some alternatives to a chimney. Would it be possible to take the flu of the heater out the transom instead of the coachroof? I presume this would require an inline fan to compensate for the draw of the chimney.
I would love to hear from anyone that has successfully done this or has any good ideas.
Many thanks.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
Hi all,
I am thinking of buying a drip diesel heater for my 26ft yacht, but I don't like the idea of drilling a big hole in the coachroof to fit the chimney. I am in the process of doing a diesel to electric conversion so the yacht still has the engine exhaust pipe, including some sort of large baffle box (plastic), going out the transom.
Just mulling over some alternatives to a chimney. Would it be possible to take the flu of the heater out the transom instead of the coachroof? I presume this would require an inline fan to compensate for the draw of the chimney.
I would love to hear from anyone that has successfully done this or has any good ideas.
Many thanks.
Sounds dangerous. If that fan were to fail for any reason (e.g. you forgot to switch it on), then you will die from CO poisoning and lack of oxygen to breath.

Wansworth

Visit site
Properly executed a chimney should be quite straightforward,making sure it’s not exiting near the mast as fuemes May colour the sails and rope,but a dogs leg i the pipe should put it ina good spot,there’s always a danger of soot if not burning correctlty

sarabande

Visit site
The normal chimney is a vertical(ish) arrangement of about 4 to 6ft, and diameter around 3 inches.

The natural ventilation is naturally aspirated and relies to a certain extent on "stack effect".

Sending the exhaust gases through a roughly horizontal tube of about 12ft, with a complex wave resistant configuration at the outlet, will require a fail-proof fan to overcome inherent internal resistance to air flow. I cannot see a fan being able to cope with the natural changes of exhaust volume/speed as the stove runs at startup, tickover or boost, without complicated electronic controls. Plus the amount of lagging needed to make the pipework fireproof; plus a condensation trap, plus Reflex instructions says no horizontal run of more than 12", plus no more than 2 bends...

As posted, any point of failure in the proposed horizontal system is likely to be deadly..

GHA

Visit site
Many thanks.
Not done that but as a full time liveaboard ran a refleks 77 heater for many years with a small computer fan blowing air into the heater, chimney straight out but without a 1m extension chimney piece over the deck it wouldn't draw enough to burn clean. Fan helped that.
Guessing through the transom might not be a good idea, you still need some sort of draw up the chimney to pull air out so would need a vertical piece & gases might be too cold by then to do much. Doubt a fan on the exhaust would last long.
Now have a 66, 1m extension insulated chimney over the deck runs nice, no power required.
Drill the hole gets my vote.

edit - Don't think the CO gas alarm ever went off cos of the fire, gas soldering iron & fast charging batts would set it off though.

Last edited:

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Hi all,
Many thanks.
Sounds like another Marine Accident Investigation Board report on a death waiting to happen.

The 'big hole in the coachroof' is there for a reason. If you don't like the aesthetics don't install a drip heaters.

Personally, I like drip heaters for their heat and the ability to be used to heat a slow cooked meal in the right pots.

Yngmar

Visit site
It sounds like you want a forced air diesel heater instead. Those only need a small exhaust fitting and it can be routed horizontally out of the hull.

The Refleks requires a vertical flue as it relies on draft. Anything else is dangerous bodgery. Even considering your idea for a minute, you'll have a very hard time finding an inline fan rated for use in hot exhaust gases that runs on 12V. In the unlikely case that you did find such a fan, it will have about the same power draw as a running forced air diesel heater, and a greater need of this fan continuing to function. So you might as well get that forced air diesel heater. It'll use the same power, be more convenient and reliable than a bodged fan-assisted Refleks installation and probably not set fire to yourself in the process.