Red diesel problems in Belgium again it seems

RivalRedwing

Visit site
This from the Haven Ports Yacht Club Facebook page today:

"Well, it's official - the Belgians don't want us in their waters. The Eaora race fleet is in Oostende and apart from loads of Schengen paperwork - one boat (so far) has been fined 500 euro for red diesel violations!! - Happy days"

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
That's what I'm afraid of. :(

Don't worry about taking some flak occasionally. It's like rising through judo ranks .... you start off being a 6th Kyu blue belt but, if you stick around for long enough and practice your moves, you might eventually progress to a black belt 10th Dan. Once you get there no-one will dare lay a hand on you as the consequences are just too awful to contemplate. ;)

Richard

sailorman

Visit site

Heckler

Visit site
Must you always be so unpleasant when it comes to foreigners?[/QUOTE

You dont get it. My experience from being a minor politician for many years, jobsworths are jobsworths! I used to sort them! I never mentioned foreigners in the ref you quoted, the comments could have been about any administration!
Stu

Last edited:

Heckler

Visit site
This from the Haven Ports Yacht Club Facebook page today:

"Well, it's official - the Belgians don't want us in their waters. The Eaora race fleet is in Oostende and apart from loads of Schengen paperwork - one boat (so far) has been fined 500 euro for red diesel violations!! - Happy days"
Even stupider than I thought they were!
Stu

ffiill

Visit site
Re: Belgium fines boat with traces of red - June 2017

The saving for us each year is about £170 but that's largely irrelevant, how the heck am I supposed to fill up with 220l of white diesel? What I really object to is being charged road duty on marine diesel, even at a lower rate :mad:

Agree-the only duty payable on diesel in the UK is for diesel used on the public highway

Champagne Murphy

Visit site

tugger

Visit site
I'm not sure if it was the same boat in question as mentioned on the HPYC Face Book page, but on the W&FYC page there is mention of one of the EAORA fleet being fined too... probably the same one.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
I do not have a facebook account so cannot look up the details. But it seems odd that a single yacht from the fleet was fined. One assumes that at least a dozen boats did the race- is that correct , if not how many?
So why only one boat. I cannot imagine that all the rest had white fuel; or did they? Were other boats tested for fuel type or just the one?
Was it just a case of customs picking on one yacht to make a point or was there something else to make the customs actually impose the fine. IE a bolshy crew, incorrect papers etc.?
Had all the other crews seen the customs officers coming & done what I normally do in Ostend- Disappear into the RNSYC until they have gone- so only this one got visited?
It would be good to know the full circumstances behind the fines

Last edited:

tugger

Visit site
...it seems odd that a single yacht from the fleet was fined. One assumes that at least a dozen boats did the race- is that correct , if not how many?
So why only one boat. I cannot imagine that all the rest had white fuel; or did they? Were other boats tested for fuel type or just the one?
Was it just a case of customs picking on one yacht to make a point or was there something else to make the customs actually impose the fine. IE a bolshy crew, incorrect papers etc.?
Had all the other crews seen the customs officers coming & done what I normally do in Ostend- Disappear into the RNSYC until they have gone- so only this one got visited?
It would be good to know the full circumstances behind the fines

From what I've just heard it was indeed the reason highlighted.