Recommendations sought - must-have equipment for a boats galley.

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
.... the last owners of my boat cleared the galley of everything so I'm starting from scratch. The boat is a typical sailing boat with gimballed gas stove and oven and there seems to be oodles of storage round the galley.

This gives me a clean start so what is the equipment you have in your galley that you would recommend to others?

... and any stuff that is totally useless and should be avoided at all costs would also be useful to know.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
How long is a pice of string? I keep galley stuff to a minimum otherwise the boat gets filled with hardly used stuff that really contributes nothing. Stuff I use regularly, not always common:-

1. Pressure cooker.
2. Large and small oven dishes and trays
3. Knife sharpener.
4. Kitchen scales.
5. Various sizes of Tupperware boxes with latch lock lids.
6. Plastic mixing bowls.
7. Small jars with press on tops for dressings, spice mixes.
8. Can lids when only half a can is used.
9. Whisk
10. Non slip mats.

mrming

instagram.com
Aeropress coffee maker.
Little plastic clips for closing part open bags etc.
Chopping boards and sharp knives / scissors.
Airtight jars for coffee, tea etc.
“Boaty” square frying pan.
Corkscrew, bottle opener, tin opener.
Cork mats (heatproof).
A selection of different size oven trays and saucepans.
Plastic baskets for keeping stuff separated in the top loading fridge.

The above alongside the usual crockery and cutlery works for us.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
Kettle and large flask. Any unused hot water from the kettle gets poured into the flask for later use, if only pre heated water for next boil.

If your boat is posh and has a hot water tank, ignore this. Otherwise if you need to boil the kettle for washing up water, you will be glad of that flask full of hot water, as one kettle full is not enough.

Boathook

Visit site
Just buy the basics and add more items as required. Most of the basics are listed in the posts so far, but I have never found the need for scales - yet. One thing not mentioned is a grater.

I use cotton tea towels instead of an oven glove but just need to make sure that they are dry before using on hot pans !

ylop

Visit site
If your boat is posh and has a hot water tank, ignore this. Otherwise if you need to boil the kettle for washing up water, you will be glad of that flask full of hot water, as one kettle full is not enough.
Even with hot water you usually only have that if engines have been running or on shore power. I’d say that’s still good advice just to reduce gas consumption and condensation inside the boat.

This gives me a clean start so what is the equipment you have in your galley that you would recommend to others?
I think that depends how you will use the boat - live aboard / two week holidays / weekends / eating ashore / shore power / anchorage / pre-made rewarmed / cooked from scratch / hot weather / cold weather, as well as your own tastes: copious red wine / G&T / Tea / Coffee / stews / steaks / cakes etc… I enjoy cooking ashore, and find it a useful challenge to create great food in a galley but obviously most people would be happier just rewarming…

Zing

Visit site
A really good chef's knife, with a steel and sharpening stones. A small and a large beechwood chopping board. The rest are luxuries.

I suppose a few other things are essential. Bottle opener and corkscrew. Tin opener.

Nice to have: Whisk, silicone spatulas, soft and medium. Small and large bowls. Digital scales, induction hob, ceramic non-stick pan, pestle and mortar. All the usual stuff really.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
I think that one would get enjoy more enjoyment starting with the basics, and selectively adding things/luxuries as you felt the need/whim, than trying to get everything you might possibly need in one hit at the outset. (And it would help keep the weight/clutter down, too!)

Much as it's nice to have one's favourite glass or kitchen gadget, one can have an awful lot of fun with a frying pan, saucepan, chopping boards and a couple of knives, etc.

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
Wot no toaster! 😱
Did have one, but during a period of madness, I got on a scooter and hid it up a mountain .... problem is, a bit like a squirrel, I forgot where I hid it, there must be about 60 toasters buried in the woods around Skiathos so I don't want to buy another one.

Baggywrinkle

Visit site
Even with hot water you usually only have that if engines have been running or on shore power. I’d say that’s still good advice just to reduce gas consumption and condensation inside the boat.

I think that depends how you will use the boat - live aboard / two week holidays / weekends / eating ashore / shore power / anchorage / pre-made rewarmed / cooked from scratch / hot weather / cold weather, as well as your own tastes: copious red wine / G&T / Tea / Coffee / stews / steaks / cakes etc… I enjoy cooking ashore, and find it a useful challenge to create great food in a galley but obviously most people would be happier just rewarming…
Cook from scratch on board with fresh ingredients is what I normally do, multiple weeks aboard.