Raysand crossing between Crouch and Blackwater

MoodySabre

Visit site
Tillergirl and I have corresponded previously about the wisdom, or otherwise, of crossing the Rays’n in a 1.8 fin keeler but this thread has sparked my interest afresh. Looking at Tillergirl’s 2019 chartlet, and fully aware that depths may have changed, I see a maximum drying height of 1.6m on the 01 degree line. Assuming Whitaker Beacon is the best tide table to use, the tidal height at HW-1 today is 4.5m and 4.8m at HW. The crossing at 01 degrees due south between the 2m contour lines is approx 1.4 miles so say 20 minutes at 4 plus knots, or a bit longer if you were to cross slower just in case. Does that not suggest that in benign conditions without a ‘negative surge’ or lower tide caused by wind or high pressure, a depth of 2.9m with a rise of another 0.3m at high water would make this a realistic proposition with due care? I stand by to be contradicted!

Regards
David
I've crossed twice this year, and many times over the years, with a 1.7m fin keel. An hour before HW no problem.

tillergirl

Visit site
What would be really handy to know the Lat/Long of that cul de sac in the photo (Huge hint coming up here....), if someone on the Crouch could go at LW at the entrance of that cul de sac. Trying to find it at HW won't be impossible but would take a bit of hunting around.

andyo

Visit site
We crossed on Sunday 6th Sept at HW Bradwell -3. Konsort with a 1m draught. I hadn’t downloaded the new chartlet so was confused about Raysand Middle buoy, but we went from the yellow Ray Sand mark to the Middle then to North, motoring carefully to the Middle buoy.

This was only the 2nd time we had crossed and I was surprised at the distance it cut off our journey. Bradwell to the R Roach on Saturday was 28 miles (some gybing needed to get out of the Blackwater!) but only 15 miles on the return via Ray Sand!

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
I remember going through The Ray once and Charles Stock was abreast of me. He was well inshore and inside of the wreck beacons the whole time. He took a great chunk off Hollin Point too. Did he know something that we didn't or was it because he drew 12" with the keel up .

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I remember going through The Ray once and Charles Stock was abreast of me. He was well inshore and inside of the wreck beacons the whole time. He took a great chunk off Hollin Point too. Did he know something that we didn't or was it because he drew 12" with the keel up .

The latter probably!

She isn't called Shoal Waters for nothing :D

tillergirl

Visit site

Yes he did and yes he had. I once watched him sailing directly to the hammerhead causeway at full sail on a very windy day - at some speed. He rounded up a few feet of the causeway, lost way, dropped his sails and Shoal Waters gently stopped a couple of inches away from the causeway ready for tying up. Brilliant.

Aquaboy

Visit site
This has sparked my interest as heading in the Crouch direction tomorrow...... unless I say sod it and fork right for the Blackwater....

I came out of Maldon (ebb) a couple of years back and sailed right around the edge of the Dengie Flats and up the Ray as far as possible at low water. Ended up anchoring for lunch with the Crouch entrance maybe half a mile away but no cut through. I had pulled the plate up so far I couldn't sail anymore. Water was crystal clear and with the seals basking on the nearby banks a perfect afternoon.
Headed back towards Mersea for the night as the tide started to make.

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Like leighb I also went through he Raysand many years ago on my first boat, a Vivacity 20 - in the old days no gps etc and an unreliable depth sounder. Not done it since I have to be honest.

Vid

Visit site
A group of us from Greenwich Yacht Club went through it on 19 August this year, from Brightlingsea to Burnham, about an hour before HWS. My Achilles 24 draws 1m, one other was a Catalac catamaran, another a MacWester 27 and the last a Cutlass, which has a 1.5m draught. We were all fine, I don't think I saw less than 2.3m depth but I can't swear my depth meter is accurate. The only surprises were that the first buoy was called Ron Pipe and the Ray Middle buoy was off from where we expected, not in a straight line with the other two, but visible from the direct line between them.

Attachments

• A0CDA947-5218-4331-AD51-5CC24B38910F.jpeg
    A0CDA947-5218-4331-AD51-5CC24B38910F.jpeg
    158 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

tillergirl

Visit site
You are correct. It is not in a straight line. The Ray Middle went walkies and when they found it, repaired and put it 'back' they put it on the 000.59.000E meridian.

The Ray North is called 'Ron Pipe' to commemorate Ron. One of the Swallowtail buoys was called Ron Pipe but when the new buoyage was established all the buoyage had formal designations and Ron's commemoration had to be found a new home.

Aquaboy

Visit site
Shot across wed. afternoon a good hour and half before high water. 7 or 8 feet showing all the way (no real keel off set) This was on the line of the "new" marks well up towards the Crouch. It was only as I turned into the river proper that the depth dropped but I was well inside of the river marks and there is a very shallow area shown. Leaving the following day (low water neaps) it had dried on this track and there was no sign of a cut. A little further out there is a mound where the seals lay and then its lower again around the 1' meridian as Plum suggests. Just don't go in between!! I spent a good few hours creeping around the out side edge of the sand all the way to the Tripod. seals.PNGRaysand.PNG

Attachments

• Tripod.PNG
    Tripod.PNG
    548.8 KB · Views: 11

shanemax

Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has used the Raysand this year?
Hi. I crossed in early July 2021. I draw 1 meter. I tried to gently get across a little early very slowly but had to turn back and wait as I touched bottom and crunched a bit as I think its hard sand and shells. It was on a rising tide so I got off quite easily. I waited a couple of hours and then crossed with plenty of water to spare . Don't risk it on a falling tide or if there is any type of chop. By the time I set off there were three other boats waiting.

Plum

Visit site
Hi. I crossed in early July 2021. I draw 1 meter. I tried to gently get across a little early very slowly but had to turn back and wait as I touched bottom and crunched a bit as I think its hard sand and shells. It was on a rising tide so I got off quite easily. I waited a couple of hours and then crossed with plenty of water to spare . Don't risk it on a falling tide or if there is any type of chop. By the time I set off there were three other boats waiting.
With a 1m draft you should be able to cross at half-tide. The best water is shown on Tillergirl's chart here http://www.crossingthethamesestuary.com/Ray Sand 2020 Upload.pdf so best to follow the 1-degree longitude line

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Last edited: