Calorifier is it worth it

KAM

Visit site
My calorifier recently leaked. It's fixed now but wondering If its really worth refitting. It's a lot of extra weight and complexity. We sail a lot but never use marinas. Its usually only luke warm in the mornings. Was just wondering If a kettle now and again would be a better option. Anyone else discarded their calorifier.

B27

Visit site
Having ample hot water for washing up and cleaning is a Good Thing, IMHO.

I assume we are talking about a basic boat with no shower?

johnalison

Visit site
I think you can only answer for yourself. We sailed for thirty years without hot water on board but the presence of hot water on tap does wonders for morale on a long passage. However, our long cruises at the time meant quite a lot of motoring, so hot water was usually available. If you can get by with a kettle and can’t usually provide hot rather than warm water then the economy of doing without could we’ll be the right choice.

scottie

Visit site
My calorifier recently leaked. It's fixed now but wondering If its really worth refitting. It's a lot of extra weight and complexity. We sail a lot but never use marinas. Its usually only luke warm in the mornings. Was just wondering If a kettle now and again would be a better option. Anyone else discarded their calorifier.
What is the engine ?

ashtead

Visit site
Westerly never had such modern devices but we survived however having a hot shower off the stern after a cold swim does make life more comfortable in uk at least but I guess if no shower fitted might be less useful if you have a kettle to boil to wash up

KAM

Visit site
Its a 3ym30 the water heats very quickly but it's also 50kg extra weight. We have a shower but the heads compartment has a lot of nice teak detailing not one of your modern grp jobs. Not sure it would stand regular use of the shower. Also we're not sailing where we can fill tanks regularly so tend to conserve water. Bathing when it occurs is usually in a loch or burn. 50kg extra weight for a luke warm morning wash vs kettle?

Neeves

Visit site
We used an instant gas hot water heater. You can source them such they are not much bigger than a small briefcase - but you obviously need gas.

Those who have converted large-scale to Lithium can use an immersion heater. I think you can source instant electric hot water heaters but they need a pretty powerful heater.

Using a kettle - back to the early 19th Century - I suspect the absence of hot water might make selling the yacht slightly more difficult.

Jonathan

mrangry

Visit site
For the sake of a few hundred quid a calorifier is a no brainer for me. A fairly simple set up consisting of a calorifier, pump, accumulator and some pipe work. Getting hot water from motoring for a while is a godsend after a days sailing.

scottie

Visit site
Its a 3ym30 the water heats very quickly but it's also 50kg extra weight. We have a shower but the heads compartment has a lot of nice teak detailing not one of your modern grp jobs. Not sure it would stand regular use of the shower. Also we're not sailing where we can fill tanks regularly so tend to conserve water. Bathing when it occurs is usually in a loch or burn. 50kg extra weight for a luke warm morning wash vs kettle?
Is that fresh water cooled
Sea water cooled requires lower thermostat settings and affects calorifier temperature

Daverw

Visit site
As said above, you will be carrying the weight of water anyway just in a different tank, if you take out clorifier you will also reduce your water capacity