Calorifier is it worth it

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
As said above, you will be carrying the weight of water anyway just in a different tank, if you take out clorifier you will also reduce your water capacity
That is not quite true. You cannot empty a calorifier once the main water tank is dry. The pump simply blows air bubbles through it. You can drain it into the bilge but that is not particularly useful.

jbweston

Visit site
I'd suggest looking into why the calorifier was producing water that was only warm.

If the choice is between no calorifier and having one that doesn't produce hot water, then the decision is easy.

If the choice is between no calorifier and one that does produce hot water, that's a different situation.

Your choice of course. I've always liked having hot water instantly available for washing up. And the thought that it's free, heated by waste engine heat, appeals to my sense of economy. Admittedly it costs money in harbour if it has an electric element, but you don't have to turn it on if you don't want it.

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Absolutely unthinkable. We are not "wild campers". As a sail cruiser, creature comforts are mandatory, not optional. That's why we have a French AWB.
As with everything it's a matter of size ;) At the sub 27 / 26 foot level then it is perhaps marginal but still imo highly desirable. However the OP indicates simply by the size of the donk that he is talking about a 30 foot or larger yacht which is where you expect a shower, working flushing toilet, proper galley with an oven that will make life comfortable on those wet days when time has to be spent below decks.
That is not to say that you cannot cruise on a 22 or 24 foot boat but it's not cruising as we know it Jim.😁

Baggywrinkle

Ammersee, Bavaria / Adriatic & Free to roam Europe
Visit site
Bah humbug, we had no hot water as kids, did the washing up in sea water 'cos the fresh water was in plastic containers .... also no fridge, no heating and condensation dripping off the roof in the mornings .... we survived.

... as soon as I got my own boat, we had hot water, fridge, hot showers, no condensation and changed our cruising ground from the West Coast of Scotland to the Adriatic. All my childhood problems solved. (y) 🥳

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Hot water and a proper flushing loo were prerequisite for SWMBO to stay onboard otherwise it was a hotel every night.

We have a calorifier and a instant gas water heater with changeover valve

johnalison

Visit site
We didn't have hot water on our Sadler 29 and nor did two sets of friends with 32s, though one had pressurised cold water at the galley, that we though very posh. As I implied above, the water tankage will generally be very limiting in boats below 30'. We carry 250l, which is generally fine, including frequent showers, but the 18 gallons on our Sadler wouldn't have lasted long.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Unless you have a fairly large water tank, any significant use of water - hot or cold - will reduce your cruising range between fill ups which will mostly be in marinas.

And if you insist on using marinas, well they often have very nice showers.

Perhaps for liveaboards in 35ft + boats its useful. We threw away the gas water heater in our previous camper van, as it took up space. If hot water must be rationed to a kettles worth at a time, its just as easy to use the kettle

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Unless you have a fairly large water tank, any significant use of water - hot or cold - will reduce your cruising range between fill ups which will mostly be in marinas.

Cruising range can be extended with rainwater collection or the use of a water maker and with the lithium batteries /solar the use of a water maker becomes more viable.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Cruising range can be extended with rainwater collection or the use of a water maker and with the lithium batteries /solar the use of a water maker becomes more viable.
Liveaboards or those wanting to do transatlantic might well want to do that - that however is not a very large proportion of boat owners. And water makers are a significant expense as are the solar to drive it. A calorifier is cheap in comparison and as engine on less in such situation not really appropriate to them

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Liveaboards or those wanting to do transatlantic might well want to do that - that however is not a very large proportion of boat owners. And water makers are a significant expense as are the solar to drive it. A calorifier is cheap in comparison and as engine on less in such situation not really appropriate to them

Well yes if cruising range is from marina to marina, you don't need lots of hot water as showering will be at marina or yacht club s will be eating out, depending on boat usage.

If you sail to remoter areas like areas we have available to us