Rank Stupidity.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Re: Parents are smarter ?

It's a good question. Having been involved in Scouting for almost the whole of my life I felt I had a little inside information that enabled me to ask a few questions beforehand about levels of responsibility and supervision of my children. I never had any concerns about the Scout and Guide troops to which they belonged but I once refused to allow my son to go on a school adventure holiday. Jill and I sometimes discussed the possibility of accidents and agreed that they could happen, for which it was pointless trying to blame those in charge. So I would like to think that we would have taken that path, although it was never tested.

In the event, by the time they were about 13, both of them left their troops on the basis that they were having far more "adventure" with us. Last week my daughter began to serve as an ASL with her local sea-scout troop.

<hr width=100% size=1>

tcm

Visit site
Re: scouts in the old days

I shudder to think of when we made a rope run down down a steep hillside, i was first down, got thrown off the end and blacked out. Later, we played rock hurling, where two peope roll rocks down a hill, and two others try to dodge the rocks at the last minute.

Anyway, if I was in govt I would bar lots of legal challenges. Losing a child must be dreaful, but dunno why anyone gets any money. Likewise tripping up on pavements and lots more doesn't need lawsuits. imho.

<hr width=100% size=1>

sailbadthesinner

Visit site

prob is while lots of parents readily accept what they got upto was fun. they would be first to claim we were negligent in the event that we let little johnny( no ref intended) be hit by rocks.

Whilst games such as that are now outlawed please donot think that scouts is totally sanitised and not worthwhile

all the acidents in recent years have happened due to lack of awareness/preparedness for the environment. the activities themselves were not dangerous per se just risky and people got caught out. as happens.

one of the pressures as a leader is when to call it off because conditions or equipment is not known or available. ( see water rings in windy tidal shores)

I am an assistant leader at the mo and that is a judgement call that comes with experience ( over training oftentimes i would say) It is ofcourse a no brainer. if proceeding risks any member of the group you should stop/turn back/ ask for help. BUt bwhat if you cannot see the risks???? It has been this that has, more often than not, been the cause of accidents ( this applies not just to the scouting movements but to many other groups who have had disaster.)

We have to ask scouts bring correct kit but we donot turn away a scout who has not brought all the kit required, ( often parents cannot afford or organise in time)
so when i go i take 80 plus litre bergen, my clothes comprise one tesco bag full rest is spare kit that invariably gets lent out torches anoraks plates sleeping bags.

our last camp involved a whole load of activities canoeing, rafting, rope slides, fires ,shooting and archery you name it.

before thatcamp it was cooking on fires training. knife and axe training followed by orienteering and night wide games. with common sewnse and bit of planning the kids can stiill have fun and partake in risk activities.

altho they are not allowed as we did, to hang a younger scout by his feet from a tree or peg them out. I would also point out that as an added bonus we have girls now. The girls not only listen and take stuff in first time they are better organised and often tougher than the boys.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=red>I can't walk on water, but I do run on Guinness</font color=red>

Birdseye

Visit site

what you are doing is sensible and reasonable - and will remain so until you have an accident. then, with the arrival of the hindsight merchants, the rules will change.

let me illustrate. when working, i ran a sizeable engineering business. when we were demolishing one building on site, we followed the correct safety procedure, employed a contractor with trained staff, did a risk assessment, agreed a safe working system etc, and documented the lot. then we formally handed the area over to the contractor and cordonned it off.

to cut the story short, the contractors safety rep went on the roof of the building (specifically forbidden in the agreed method statement) fell through the roof and ended up in intensive care. the factory inspector agreed that we had done all that we could have done, and were in no way at fault. but he made it clear that if the workman died, i would personally be in court.

so you can stay relaxed until you have an accident. then you will discover that everyone had warned you beforehand. particularly with kids involved. and no - i'm not being cynical. it is the way the system works

<hr width=100% size=1>