Ramsgate to Ostend tidal strategy

dolabriform

freewheeling.world
Hi all
Planning to nip over to Ostend from Ramsgate tomorrow, pondering tidal strategy and TSS crossing points.

Looking at the charts, I can see an almost straight ish line of I go north of the Goodwin sands, and the sanguette bank.

Just the kids and I, so wanting to leave around 5am when the winds are lighter

I’ve never crossed from here before, so I know i’m probably going to get it wrong 😂. I know I’ll have the tide against me at some point , so I’m wondering what strategy the learned forumites would recommend?

Thanks as always

David

johnalison

Visit site
Good luck with that. I don't have the info with me, but essentially you will want to arrive with the tide in your favour running east and preferably plenty of water over the banks, so it is really just a matter of working backwards from when you expect to arrive. This is really the method for all cross-channel or N Sea trips.

Cantata

Visit site
Our usual tactic from Ramsgate is to start on the rising tide, crossing the Sandettie at HW somewhere NE of the lightship. Then run up the coast on the ebb. Further over the ground, but the crossing of traffic lanes at 90deg tends to take you that way anyway, plus no contrary tide all the way and no shallows to worry about.